Votes: 2 100.0%
  • They both suck, give me your ideas

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

mr2medic

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok just looking for opinions on my talent builds one is for my mage, the other for a yet to be mentioned hunter. he exists in the shadows of azeroth as a lvl 26 hunter :)
In the mage build i was trying to go for the best balance of PVP/PVE with a tilt to the PVP side. its a 0/21/40 build
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/mage/talents.html?0000000000000000000000005500201220300100000000505320010235010210550

Same thing with the hunter build
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/hunter/talents.html?0000000000000000000005050201205312053105003303012300321000000000

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I see what you are going for with the mage, and I like it all, except for the lack of one more free point. Not taking the elemental at the bottom of the frost tree bothers me... I looked, and there is no way for you to get your blast wave in the fire tree if you go with the elemental. But I think the elemental outweights this.

Here's a few reasons why:

1> Drippy (My name for him henceforth) can be summoned with a *very* quick cooldown - iirc it's only a couple minutes, and Drippy lasts (after summoned) for almost half that time regardless. So he can be used frequently. Almost half the time you play, he can be active (if you wish). You cannot believe how easy this makes levelling your mage...

2> Cold Snap. When things are nuts, you can hit this one, and then resummon drippy again instantly. I use this when fighting Van in AV - Summon Drippy, let him use all his mana up, Cold Snap, summon Drippy again...

3> What would you have to trade for Drippy? Blast wave. Drippy can seriously outdamage blast wave, and he has a far sweeter CC ability. Drippy can Frost Nova at range.

4> Me and Drippy working together *own*. Make any example you like - against a solo monster, we both DPS the hell out of it. Against groups, even better - Drippy does his frost nova (at range) freezing the whole pile of guys while I start casting Blizzard... CC? The best yet, because as any mage knows, the cooldown on frost nova is waaaay too long when you're getting killed lol - but when Drippy can cast one, then you recast when it runs out, suddenly Drippy can cast his again, and then so can you... It is possible to continuously freeze something.

5> Number 4 above leads to enemies being frozen - alot.
i> Ice Lance does triple damage against frozen targets, and is instant cast.
ii> The Frost Tree has talents that make crits almost certain against frozen targets
iii> Said Ice Lance will crit - tripled. Thus, when I freeze a (single) target, I immediately start casting a Frostbolt. The *second* the bolt leaves my fingers, I insta-cast Ice Lance (both spells arrive while target is still frozen, virtually both at the same time) - that little tiny spell will hit harder than a (non crit) Frostbolt.

Last edited:

Mantis

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
One last consideration - I had initially gone with the Fire tree for my extra points, (mostly to get Pyroblast). But I did my only respec. I didn't like it, it did virtually nothing for me (the fire tree) as my frostbolts were so overpowered comparatively that they did more damage than the stronger fireball spells, and cost less mana. When you've put that many points into frost, you (generally) shouldn't be casting anything else.

I put the points into Arcane instead, and have been very happy with it for a few reasons. I took Improved Arcane Missles which ensures no interruption when I cast this spell, and then Arcane Concentration. AC makes it so that every ten spells or so, you'll hear a crazy sound, alerting you that this procced, and your next spell costs no mana.

The aforementioned Arcane Missles spell is *very* expensive to cast... I invariably cast it as my free spell unless an AoE (Bliz) is called for. To be able to get away with a spell that expensive for free is very nice.

20/0/41

If you look a little deeper in the Arcane tree, you'll see that there are a couple other *sweet* ones you can get. Improved Counterspell - 100% chance of silencing the target? Awesome vs. other casters, especially those damned locks... :laugh:

Also - although Arcane Meditation (allows 30% of mana regen while casting) seems more like a healer thing, consider that you have chosen a frost mage. You'll already outlast a fire mage in terms of how long you can cast for (frost spells being cheaper than fire), this will make a very noticeable difference even on top of that.

For example - Fire mages have a higher DPS then Frost mages. Kind of. If you and a fire mage burn down some elite together, he will invariably do a little more damage than you can to the target. BUT - if you both were to nail a 'target dummy' until all your mana was gone, the frost mage actually outdamages the fire mage by a considerable amount. Case in point is when we're nailing Bal or Van in Alterac Valley. I always outdamage the fire mages in those contests and I don't even have the Arcane Meditation above... With it as well, you'd likely almost never run out of mana.

A final thought - the reason I think Arc is better is because Fire and Frost are virtually mutually exclusive - you either take Fire, or you take Frost - they don't 'cooperate' all that well. Rather, they replace each other to a greater extent. While Arcane can actually provide several very sweet abilities that support and enchance your build.

Last edited:

mr2medic

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
any other opinions, i think i understand what your saying surii, i'm still trying to understand the mage class a bit better

Cowwmann

Reaction score
I think you should put some in the Permafrost, Ice Barrier, and Improved Cone of Cold. Full points in all of them.

mr2medic

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

ShadowHawks

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
like I said its a pvp/pve build.. improved righteous fury makes me get less dmg and I'm healer so I cant die. Only thing is that my pve heal wont be has good has before if I go with that build :(

not sure too if I should put pure of heart or sanctified light

Last edited:

mr2medic

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
the thing is if i go back to holy its going to be all out healing for raids, i could care less if i spend a ton of money respecing to pvp/farm. Look at how many times i respeced klr on his way to 70 lol :) granted i won't have the most hp in the world and my armor my suck but i can make up for some loss in hp by doing my enchants. obviously survivability will never be as good but for what i want to be doing with him i shouldn't be taking much dmg imo. Obviously i may change things around on my way to 70 as i get to play with more powerful spells.

mr2medic

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
not sure how different this is from the previous one i posted :)
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/priest/talents.html?5052000132000000000000035050032300150530350000000000000000000000
i dropped a few points out of holy and picked up the divine spirit and the imp divine spirit. i figure that should make up for the decreased bonus from imp healing and helps other people i cast it on also. the changes were made from build i initially posted above, the correct build with imp divine spirit is here:
http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/classes/priest/talents.html?5052000133100120000000035050032302150401130000000000000000000000

Last edited: