Rapid Chess

kcdusk

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I like Rapid chess (10 minutes per side). I feel like i should be ashamed. But look, playing Rapid chess is thrilling. The opening 5 to 10 moves happen pretty quickly, maybe taking 30 seconds up to a minute. That still leaves you with about 6 minutes to play through a middle game and still have 3 minute of "red time" where if your not cleaning up because your on top in an end game (winning by piece attrition), then your playing quick, risky moves while trying to preserve time on your clock (and likely your opponant is doing the same!).

I like Rapid chess because you reach a stage quickly where you make moves that dont obviously lead to a loss. You might not have thought through all the implications of the move, due to shortness of time you end up putting your piece down and living with the consequences. With more time to think about it, maybe its not the move you'd make. But in rapid you make the move and end up learning if it was a good move or not through playing out the rest of the game.

With the short time controls, i can play 3 games a night where i may only get half way through a "normal" match. I dont like adjourning games for another night. I like to start and finish, then review.

I understand some people dont like rapid chess - they talk about the clean, pure game of chess. Two evenly matched opponants playing almost perfect chess. Where a win is many moves in coming and beautiful in its final execution. While that reads well on paper, i prefer quick and dirty games where the upper hand can swing back and forth wildly during a game. During post game review (Chessmaster analysis) you recognise positions where you had to make a quck, critical decision. And see what CM had to say for better or worse about your move or move that should have been made. So your still learning "proper" chess.

I think the "better" player wins most games against a lessor player - but at least the weaker player has a "punchers chance" in the more chaotic world of rapid. And upsets are good for the game, for both players! It evens a playing field (chess board?) where the better player will always beat a lesser player when longer time controls are used.

In my mind, i dont measure a chess player by their ranking. I measure it by how many games they have played. And rapid chess equals more games per unit of time.

I'd rather play games of rapid chess in Washington Square Park, or a chess cafe, or in a bus terminal on a travel chess board than play in longer games in more exhotic locations. Life is an adventure, and chess can help you on those travels, meeting people, breaking down barriers and provides a common language. But, thats just me.

Does anyone have any tips on playing Rapid Chess?
Standard verse unusual openings?
Gambits?
Take every piece offered?