Range of Broken Units

Nate Stapf

Reaction score
Any of you all know what the range of a broken squad is? The reason I ask is I've got a broken unit ADJACENT to and in OG of a broken squad. The broken squad is the only one with LOS to this unit. Does my unit have to rout? A10.5 states a broken unit in OG and normal range of an enemy unit must rout. So that leads back to the original question, what is the range of a broken unit?
Thanks for your help

Yarlis

Reaction score
Country
llSpain
In Annual '96 there is a question for rule A10.5 which gives the answer to your question. It said:

Q. Assume two broken enemy units are ADJACENT at the beginning of the RtPh. If the ATTACKER routs, must the DEFENDER rout even though it's no longer ADJACENT to an enemy unit?

A. No (Note, however, that broken units do not force other units to rout).

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's my 2 cents:

the keys in your example are OG and KEU(not the range of the enemy unit)--and A10.5 specifies KEU. Broken units are Known(see index for defintion)and since your unit is in OG, it seems they must rout. They'd be no interdiction from the ADJACENT enemy broken unit, but I assume it's other enemy units(who aren't in LOS now, but would be when you start to rout somewhere)that you're worried about. Does this help?

Alan

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
yarlis answered while I was as well. The Annual '96 question didn't mention OG. ADJACENT broken enemy units in non-OG don't force each other to rout but if you're in OG, KEU do force a rout. Is it possible that broken unit's range=0? then, I guess, you wouldn't have to rout. Range is defined as the "middle number" on the counter; broken units have only a morale #, therefore, no range nor fire-power--is this the ruling?

Alan

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Hmmm. An interesting question but one that seems reasonably clear in the 1st edition rules that i am using.
A10.5 states that one must rout when within the range of a KEU, but Broken units do not have a range as they may not fire.
The next line states that "REGARDLESS of terrain it may not end the rally phase adjacent to ... a KEU that is both UNBROKEN and armed".
I think this is clear, you are not required to rout

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Am beginning to change my thoughts on this when Legion puts it that way: range=0 as Fire Power=0[unless stated otherwise; ie. lone Leaders mentioned in certain rules]

Alan

Seabee Mark

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
See also last sentence of A1.4: "Broken units have no FP or Normal Range." So a broken unit in OG and in LOS of a broken KEU (only) does not have to rout, whether ADJ or not.

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Well this was a new one to me. In the past, I think I have played the way Alan described, but thanks to Legion's explanation, I'm now convinced I wouldn't need to rout if I didn't want to. You learn something new every day!

Jazz

Inactive
Reaction score
Country
llLithuania
Reepicheep said:
Well this was a new one to me. In the past, I think I have played the way Alan described, but thanks to Legion's explanation, I'm now convinced I wouldn't need to rout if I didn't want to. You learn something new every day!
This actually came up on the ASLML a year or two ago. A number of old grizzled veterans (myself among them) were pretty surprised. Yet, you couldn't deny it, the way the rule is written, you do not have to rout if you are broken next to another brokie from the other side in any terrain.

Legion

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Thank you for the vote of confidence on my interpretation... there is no doubt this was a good question though!
Also to Seebee Mark, it is nice to have a reminder that even the earliest chapters of the ASLRB has gold in there that has been forgotten. How often do we look to A1.xxx for rulings, even though the basic framework of the rules are here?

:surprise:

Nate Stapf

Reaction score
I knew it was in the rules somewhere!! Thanks seabee. :D I was killing myself looking for the actual rule that stated the range of a broken unit. :crosseye: Of course it would be in the very beginning of the rulebook, the part that is usually flipped through quickly on the way to more obscure rules. The Q&A reference from yarlis was helpful too. Thanks to the rest of you all for your interpretation of the rule as well.

Seabee Mark

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You're welcome, Nate. Can't have you killing yourself - what would we do with the ladder?

Another interesting (to me anyway) aspect of having a broken unit in LOS of only a broken KEU is that your broken unit won't become DM, even if in OG, at the start if the RtPh (assuming it'd lost its DM earlier) since that requires a Normal Range too.

Mark

alanp

Philosopher of ASL
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Also shows the value of the ASLRBv.2 as I don't see the sentence Mark mentions in my old v.1. Another reason for you to bring it along for our ftf games, Mark! The rules are so coherent and systematic that we've got to remember it's probably in there somewhere--whatever 'it' is.

Alan

Reepicheep

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Seabee Mark said:
Another interesting (to me anyway) aspect of having a broken unit in LOS of only a broken KEU is that your broken unit won't become DM, even if in OG, at the start if the RtPh (assuming it'd lost its DM earlier) since that requires a Normal Range too.
Does it? I guess you're referring back to the original question which had the units ADJACENT to one another, not just in LOS.

If ADJACENT, A10.62 seems to indicate both units will become DM... "A broken unit is also automatically under DM whenever a Known armed enemy unit is ADJACENT to it (even if it does not end the phase ADJACENT to it)..."