Random Selection--light to dark dice arrangement

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For random selection purposes, light to dark, would you arrange the following colors in this order?

1. white
  2. yellow
  3. orange
  4. green
  5. red
  6. blue
  7. brown
  8. purple
  9. black

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If it's your opponent who is rolling the random selection, I recommend black, black, black, black, black, black, black, black. Then you can point out which black die is the one that corresponds to the 9-2. And by odd coincidence, it's the highest one too.

JR

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
For random selection purposes, light to dark, would you arrange the following colors in this order?

1. white
  2. yellow
  3. orange
  4. green
  5. red
  6. blue
  7. brown
  8. purple
  9. black
I never* arrange this by the time you rustle up all the dice even to 5th degree, call the arrangement, repeat the call for clarity drop the dice, read the call...

I drop red and white and say red is X each drop...so if I have 4 items that need RS, and the DR goes 2, 4, drop 1, and then 1, 4 drop two then the 2nd and 4th are the ones that get RS... There are variations on the same theme...but it is not worth all the time and effort you just outlined...

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Again, don't stack. Maybe it was an ATT CH with multiple locations involved?

zgrose

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Zoltan
Country
llUnited States
..and British, Dutch. French, Taiwan ... etc etc
It's not the colors, it's the order. I can imagine the French might go Blue, White, Red assuming they have a phrase similar to "the red, white, and blue"? Dunno enough French lingo.

I always forget the middle color, and usually only remember the first color when someone grabs any ol' dice and does RS in any ol' order.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
When you say "blue" do you mean "Alice blue" (#F0F8FF ) or "RGB blue" (#0000FF) or "International Klein blue" (#002FA7)? It makes a difference.

JR

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
It's not the colors, it's the order. I can imagine the French might go Blue, White, Red assuming they have a phrase similar to "the red, white, and blue"? Dunno enough French lingo.
Yeah, that would be the natural order. "Blue, white, red, top to bottom" works for most stacks. Add "black" for the bottom and you're set for 95% of in-game stacks.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
All depends on what colour dice you have available so the order is totally irrelevant just agree with your opponent when an order is needed. Simple !

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I never* arrange this by the time you rustle up all the dice even to 5th degree, call the arrangement, repeat the call for clarity drop the dice, read the call...

I drop red and white and say red is X each drop...so if I have 4 items that need RS, and the DR goes 2, 4, drop 1, and then 1, 4 drop two then the 2nd and 4th are the ones that get RS... There are variations on the same theme...but it is not worth all the time and effort you just outlined...
On follow up to this procedure, I will often place the selected unit onto a hex with grid coordinate that matches the high RS dr...so in the EX above on the first roll I would take the dr 4 unit and place it on say hex H4....this way if things get confused for whatever reason (rule book dive all of a sudden) both players can see that the item on H4 is the recognized one for RS from that pairing...

But I do this only rarely as I don't stack that high that often...

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
I sort them by numerical results.

Now, a question that requires crucial advice : with what hand do you throw the dice (or the glass containing them)?
I really need help, because I are am at a total loss about using common sense and solving the problem by myself.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I sort them by numerical results.

Now, a question that requires crucial advice : with what hand do you throw the dice (or the glass containing them)?
I really need help, because I are am at a total loss about using common sense and solving the problem by myself.
I've tried throwing left handed but it just feels absolutely wrong to me! Why should it? I can shake a dice glass left handed but not throw!

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Mostly I throw the glass containing them with the right hand. But anytime I do it, I receive strange glances when the glass shatters on impact.
Maybe I should use the left hand?

The same way, people throw doubtful looks at me when I enjoy my whiskey on dice for a cool refreshment.
Perhaps Barcadi on the rocks next time?

von Marwitz