random air attack SSR

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Here's the first attempt to create a SSR for "random air attacks" using the same mechanism of the famous Partisan/sniper SSR of J1 Urban Guerrillas.

In this scenario British forces are on the defense and costantly under the fire of German Fighters that have total air superiority. German SAN is 4, so this Random Air Attack should not be too frequent.
I'm here to ask suggestions to improve the wording, and to make it shorter and clearer. Thank you in advance.

SSR 3:
All German Sniper attacks of “3” or “4” generate a “Random Air Attack” (a “3” generates a 6 FP and a “4” generates a 4 FP attack on the IFT) in a Random Location.
The attacked Random Location is the closest eligible as determined by a Random Location DR (A14.2; the German Sniper Counter, however, is not removed from its current hex). Eligible Locations are Locations containing known British Units (Exception: BU AFV) and no German Unit. If > 2 eligible Locations are equidistant, the attacked Locations is the one with the lowest TEM/Smoke Hindrance. If the Location is still undetermined the German chooses from those equidistant Locations. Only Infantry and Crew Exposed in the selected Location are subject to the attack, BU AFVs cannot be harmed. All TEM/CE DRM applies.
If the Random Location DR is a 6,6 a “Mistaken Random Air Attack” happens and the eligible Locations become those containing known German Units (Exception: BU AFV) and no British Unit, so the process is reversed and the British makes the attack (and chooses the target if > 2 eligible Locations are equidistant).

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Here is one suggestion (didn't manage to make it shorter though).

SSR 3:

3. All German sniper attack dr of “3” or “4” generate a “Random Air Attack” resolved as an IFT attack (6 FP for a dr of “3” and 4 FP for a dr of “4”). The attack is resolved in the closest eligible Location as determined by a Random Location DR (A14.2; the German sniper counter, however is not moved from its current hex). Only Locations containing unconcealed British units [EXC: AFV(s) with no vulnerable PRC] and no enemy units are eligible Locations. If ≥ 2 eligible Locations are equidistant, the attacked Location is the one with the lowest in-hex TEM/SMOKE DRM; if the Location is still undetermined, the Germans choose from those equidistant Locations. All units [EXC: AFV(s) with no vulnerable PRC] in the attacked Location undergo an IFT attack with in-hex TEM/SMOKE/CE DRM applying in the normal manner. On a Random Location DR of 6,6 a “Mistaken Random Air Attack” occurs and the eligible Locations are those containing German units instead (with the same restrictions per above) and the British resolves the IFT attack and (if applicable) choose between equidistant eligible Locations.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
thank Klas, it sounds much better now.

I think this SSR could be added when air superiority is cleary present and incisive, but the designer does not want use the Air Support rules.
Note that the SSR could specify that there are only a pre-determined number of air- attacks (for example 2 or 3) -disregarding any following sniper attack- or could limit the attacks only (for example) in turn 1-3 or at endgame.
There are many ways to adapt this rule to the situation. The wise Deisgner will find the one better fitting his need.

mryder

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Units in interior woods and building hexes should be ineligible targets also.
Matt

Cult.44

Reaction score
First name
Mark
Country
llUnited States
I like the idea. Along with not having to use the full air-support rules, it can be used to simulate situations where troops on the ground didn't have much influence on where air attacks occurred (lacking radio contact, liaison officers, etc.). It seems you could use a separate sniper counter or AR counter for the random attacks as well.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
I like the idea. Along with not having to use the full air-support rules, it can be used to simulate situations where troops on the ground didn't have much influence on where air attacks occurred (lacking radio contact, liaison officers, etc.). It seems you could use a separate sniper counter or AR counter for the random attacks as well.
yes, that is the idea.
I have borrowed the concept from Urban guerrillas and I have made the the appropriate adjustments.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Mistaken attack on roll of 6? Now that would add some spice!
mistaken air attacks are already covered in the SSR: If the Random Location DR is a 6,6 then the process is reversed and the target becomes a German Location.
IMO It cannot be triggered just by a sniper attack dr "6" because it would happen too often.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
Xenovin suggested me a shorter and simplified version of the Random Air Attack SSR:

All German sniper attack dr of “3” (IFT 6 FP) or “4” (IFT 4 FP) generates a “Random Air Attack” IFT attack resolved against all occupants of the closest non-concealed, non-smoke, British occupied Location as determined by a Random Location DR (A14.2; all TEMs apply to IFT DR; the German sniper counter, however is not moved from its current hex). Use Random Selection (A.9) for equal distant target Locations. A Random Location DR of 6,6 is a “Mistaken Random Air Attack” resulting in an IFT air attack against an eligible German Location per the method above.

while I love the idea to make it shorter (thank you for the help) the suggested SSR has two problems:
1) includes as targets the BU AFVs that are immune to IFT attacks
2) makes too random the process because the target is simply randomly selected among the "closest". Instead I would leave to the British the chance to influence the attack. I obtain this stating that the units staying in high TEM location are less exposed than units in OG or with +1. This is realisitc and allows the British to decide who can risk more of others.

So a further version could be:

All German sniper attack dr of “3” (IFT 6 FP) or “4” (IFT 4 FP) generates a “Random Air Attack” IFT attack resolved against all occupants of the closest, British occupied Location as determined by a Random Location DR (A14.2; all in-hex TEM/SMOKE/CE DRM apply in the normal manner; the German sniper counter, however is not moved from its current hex). Only Locations containing unconcealed British units [EXC: AFV(s) with no vulnerable PRC] and no enemy units are eligible Locations. If ≥ 2 eligible Locations are equidistant, the attacked Location is the one with the lowest in-hex TEM/SMOKE DRM; if the Location is still undetermined, the Germans choose from those equidistant Locations. A Random Location DR of 6,6 is a “Mistaken Random Air Attack” resulting in an IFT air attack against an eligible German Location per the method above.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
ecz,

Here is another shot while addressing your BU armor and target selection concern:

All German sniper attack dr of “3” (IFT 6 FP) or “4” (IFT 4 FP) generates a “Random Air Attack” IFT attack resolved against all occupants of the closest British only [Exc. Concealed and BU AFV only locations] occupied Location as determined by a Random Location DR (A14.2; all TEM/hindrances apply to IFT DR; the German sniper counter, however is not moved from its current hex). For equal distant target Locations, the location with the least TEM/Hindrance benefit to the defender(s) is chosen. A Random Location DR of 6,6 is a “Mistaken Random Air Attack” resulting in an IFT air attack against an eligible German Location per the method above.

Or if you want to also target BU armor:
All German sniper attack dr of “3” (IFT 6 FP) or “4” (IFT 4 FP) generates a “Random Air Attack” IFT attack resolved against all occupants of the closest British only [Exc. Concealed locations] occupied Location as determined by a Random Location DR (A14.2; all TEM/hindrances apply to IFT DR; the German sniper counter, however is not moved from its current hex). Any present BU AFVs are attacked on the MG column of the AP To Hit table (C7.31) using the rear armor facing. For equal distant target Locations, the location with the least TEM/Hindrance benefit to the defender(s) is chosen. A Random Location DR of 6,6 is a “Mistaken Random Air Attack” resulting in an IFT air attack against an eligible German Location per the method above.

Even this is getting very chrome-like and may turn off many players as your intent (who gets targeted and why) may not be totally clear.

#1 Rule of Scenario Design: KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid) (if you are using translation software, this means "hey Stupid - keep it simple").

These are just suggestions so see what you think works for you. I think you last attempt is much improved over your first draft. Good Luck!

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ecz,

here is another shot while addressing your bu armor and target selection concern:

all german sniper attack dr of “3” (ift 6 fp) or “4” (ift 4 fp) generates a “random air attack” ift attack resolved against all occupants of the closest british only [exc. Concealed and bu afv only locations] occupied location as determined by a random location dr (a14.2; all tem/hindrances apply to ift dr; the german sniper counter, however is not moved from its current hex). for equal distant target locations, the location with the least tem/hindrance benefit to the defender(s) is chosen. A random location dr of 6,6 is a “mistaken random air attack” resulting in an ift air attack against an eligible german location per the method above.

or if you want to also target bu armor:
all german sniper attack dr of “3” (ift 6 fp) or “4” (ift 4 fp) generates a “random air attack” ift attack resolved against all occupants of the closest british only [exc. Concealed locations] occupied location as determined by a random location dr (a14.2; all tem/hindrances apply to ift dr; the german sniper counter, however is not moved from its current hex). Any present bu afvs are attacked on the mg column of the ap to hit table (c7.31) using the rear armor facing. For equal distant target locations, the location with the least tem/hindrance benefit to the defender(s) is chosen. A random location dr of 6,6 is a “mistaken random air attack” resulting in an ift air attack against an eligible german location per the method above.

[/i]even this is getting very chrome-like and may turn off many players as your intent (who gets targeted and why) may not be totally clear.

#1 rule of scenario design: Kiss (keep it simple stupid) (if you are using translation software, this means "hey stupid - keep it simple").
these are just suggestions so see what you think works for you. I think you last attempt is much improved over your first draft. Good luck!

this.....

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
So a further version could be:

All German sniper attack dr of “3” (IFT 6 FP) or “4” (IFT 4 FP) generates a “Random Air Attack” IFT attack resolved against all occupants of the closest, British occupied Location as determined by a Random Location DR (A14.2; all in-hex TEM/SMOKE/CE DRM apply in the normal manner; the German sniper counter, however is not moved from its current hex). Only Locations containing unconcealed British units [EXC: AFV(s) with no vulnerable PRC] and no enemy units are eligible Locations. If ≥ 2 eligible Locations are equidistant, the attacked Location is the one with the lowest in-hex TEM/SMOKE DRM; if the Location is still undetermined, the Germans choose from those equidistant Locations. A Random Location DR of 6,6 is a “Mistaken Random Air Attack” resulting in an IFT air attack against an eligible German Location per the method above.
I would change "dr" to "drs" and drop the "IFT" before the FP listings and change "generates" to "generate" (assuming that is correct english of course). And I would
move the "in-hex TEM/" - it has nothing to do with the Random Location DR - so IMO it is better to write it together with the "IFT attack" part.

All German sniper attack drs of “3” (6 FP) or “4” (4 FP) generate a “Random Air Attack” IFT attack, with all in-hex TEM/SMOKE/CE DRM applying in the normal manner, resolved against all occupants of the closest, British occupied Location as determined by a Random Location DR (A14.2; the German sniper counter, however is not moved from its current hex). Only Locations containing unconcealed British units [EXC: AFV(s) with no vulnerable PRC] and no enemy units are eligible Locations. If ≥ 2 eligible Locations are equidistant, the attacked Location is the one with the lowest in-hex TEM/SMOKE DRM; if the Location is still undetermined, the Germans choose from those equidistant Locations. A Random Location DR of 6,6 is a “Mistaken Random Air Attack” resulting in an IFT air attack against an eligible German Location per the method above.

ecz

Partisan Captain
Reaction score
Country
llItaly
thanks,
Technical English is not too simple and ASLish is even more complicated...

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
All German sniper attack drs of “3” (6 FP) or “4” (4 FP) generate a “Random Air Attack” IFT attack, with all in-hex TEM/SMOKE/CE DRM applying in the normal manner, resolved against all occupants of the closest, British occupied Location as determined by a Random Location DR (A14.2; the German sniper counter, however is not moved from its current hex). Only Locations containing unconcealed British units [EXC: AFV(s) with no vulnerable PRC] and no enemy units are eligible Locations. If ≥ 2 eligible Locations are equidistant, the attacked Location is the one with the lowest in-hex TEM/SMOKE DRM; if the Location is still undetermined, the Germans choose from those equidistant Locations. A Random Location DR of 6,6 is a “Mistaken Random Air Attack” resulting in an IFT air attack against an eligible German Location per the method above.
I like what Klas has done and feel this is probably as streamlined as you can get this SSR. The only minor edit I would make is: "[EXC: AFV(s) with no vulnerable PRC and German units] are eligible Locations."

ECZ - yes English is hard, ASL is harder and developing a clear, concise SSR is the hardest!

Reactions: ecz

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I like what Klas has done and feel this is probably as streamlined as you can get this SSR. The only minor edit I would make is: "[EXC: AFV(s) with no vulnerable PRC and German units] are eligible Locations."
Though the "and German units" is already covered by the "and no enemy units" clause, after the EXC.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
Though the "and German units" is already covered by the "and no enemy units" clause, after the EXC.
I feel it will be a little cleaner if you put everything to be excluded from attack within the brackets. As you have it written right now, you could read it to mean a Stuka can only attack a location with "unconcealed Brits" but also "no [location with] enemy units" - so you cannot attack a hex with British [enemy] units. That would be a bummer!

Because ECZ has such a specialized sequence for what is a target unit and how it will be attacked, it makes for a very long and detailed SSR leading to confusion. That is why my original post stripped away much of this to simplify the process. I personally would be willing to have a BU AFV attacked (with no effect) and a random role for equal distant targets (or if you lucky multiple targets!) to keep this SSR simple. While it would be watered down, the SSR would still provide scenario "color", a feel of German air superiority over the battle, and hopefully easier to comprehend by the player. I like this SSR so I want it to work for ECZ. It really is down to personal preference for how much detail you want in it. As Steve said, I had 6 SSR in my scenario but they were all simple one-liners so easy to understand. How many of us as players, if we see an SSR that is a paragraph, will just flip to the next scenario rather than try and figure it out. OK - I'm off my soap box.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I feel it will be a little cleaner if you put everything to be excluded from attack within the brackets. As you have it written right now, you could read it to mean a Stuka can only attack a location with "unconcealed Brits" but also "no [location with] enemy units" - so you cannot attack a hex with British [enemy] units. That would be a bummer!
Put a couple of () around the "and no enemy units" - that should make it clear that it applies to "Locations containing unconcealed British units".

"...Only Locations containing unconcealed British units [EXC: AFV(s) with no vulnerable PRC] (and no enemy units) are eligible Locations..."