Rally & Self-rally

revaddict

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is it legal for a unit to attempt Self-rally, fail and then attempt to be rallied by another unit in the same RPh?

E.g. a broken squad and broken leader are in the same hex. The squad attempts SR and fails. The leader succeeds in his SR and then attempts to rally the brokie.

I always thought this was legal, but someone else is now telling me it's not.

Paul

kwsrv

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I believe the Leader would have to self rally first, then if he passes would attempt to rally the broken mmc.

ASL Couple

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A3.1 (per v1) says "Each unit may attempt only one type of action during a RPh." Then the example says "EX: If a squad rallies during its RPh. . ."

So a unit can't try to self-rally and then attempt to rally using a leader. That's two actions.

And the example shows that the regular rally is an action for the squad (attempting to rally), not for the leader.

That's the way I read it. :)

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL Couple said:
A3.1 (per v1) says "Each unit may attempt only one type of action during a RPh." Then the example says "EX: If a squad rallies during its RPh. . ."

So a unit can't try to self-rally and then attempt to rally using a leader. That's two actions.

And the example shows that the regular rally is an action for the squad (attempting to rally), not for the leader.

That's the way I read it. :)
I concur. :)

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A10.6 "No unit may attempt to rally more than once per Player turn regardless of any Self-Rally capability/leader access."

So, if your MMC attempts self-rally and fails, it may not attempt to rally under the assistance of a leader during the same rally pahse.

Chris

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"Is it legal for a unit to attempt Self-rally, fail and then attempt to be rallied by another unit in the same RPh?"

A unit can only attempt one thing in the Rally Phase, trying to self rally would be that one thing.

Always an interesting choice: Do I try the harder self rally first or attempt the leader first?

In this situation (assuming no other units need to self rally) you should attempt the leader first that then if he fails use the "first mmc rally (in your turn) attempt may be self rally". That way, you're covered if the leader fails.

Sorry I cannot provide relevant rules as I do not have a V2 RB at work.

Peace

Roger

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Roger,

You're looking for A10.63 Self-Rally: "In addition, one MMC may attempt Field Promotion (18.11) as the first MMC Rally attempt of its own Player Turn."

As Roger suggested, attempt to rally the leader first. If he fails, then you can still attempt to self-rally the MMC but this must be the first MMC rally attempt.

Chris

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Note that Self Rally cannot be attempted in a location with a Good Order friendly Leader, A10.63; however, there is at least one exception to this . . . Bueller?

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well ... since you asked, I would say that Commissars are the exception.

A25.221 "A broken Commissar must always attempt Self-Rally; he may not be aided by another leader."

Chris :cheeky:

SamB

Shut up and play!
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
kwsrv said:
I believe the Leader would have to self rally first, then if he passes would attempt to rally the broken mmc.
While you may attempt to rally the leader first, there is no requirement to do so.

It may also make sense to attempt the leader first, because if he succeeds in rallying, you squad will have a much better chance to rally. But you are still permitted to attempt self rally with the squad first. If you fail, the leader can't rally him later, but it may still make sense to do this sometimes.

Sam

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Brian W said:
Note that Self Rally cannot be attempted in a location with a Good Order friendly Leader, A10.63; however, there is at least one exception to this . . . Bueller?
So if there is only one exception (the commissar), does this mean that if a broken leader (non-commissar) or a gun crew is in the hex with a non-broken leader, neither can self-rally? They MUST use the good order leader's modifier? If true, I believe I, and many others, have been playing it incorrectly. Please advise.

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ASL Couple said:
Man, this question didn't stand a chance!!

A flurry of answers like a flock of vultures on carrion. :devious:
There's nothing like a good hunk of carrion slow roasted over an open fire. :nuts:

rdw5150

it's just a game
Reaction score
First name
Roger
Country
llUnited States
"So if there is only one exception (the commissar), does this mean that if a broken leader (non-commissar) or a gun crew is in the hex with a non-broken leader, neither can self-rally? They MUST use the good order leader's modifier? If true, I believe I, and many others, have been playing it incorrectly. Please advise."

hmmmm this is a good question because it would seem (no time to look up rules here at work), that you have to use leadership if present when trying to rally. Thus that 6+1 can hurt you.

I'll have to look that one up and see what other say as well.

Peace

Roger

ChrisBuehler

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A10.63 ".... Self-Rally can never occur in a Location containing a Good Order friendly leader."

Of course this is contradicted by:

A25.221 ".... A broken Commissar must always attempt Self-Rally; he may not be aided by another leader."

Therefore, you cannot self-rally if a good order leader is present unless you are a commissar. In this case, a 6+1 leader can hurt your rally attempts.

Chris

Robin Reeve

The Swiss Moron
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Robin
Country
llSwitzerland
ChrisBuehler said:
In this case, a 6+1 leader can hurt your rally attempts.
But his +1 is not worse than the Self-Rally +1 DRM penalty.
The worse situation is to be stacked with a wounded good order 6+1, because his leadership modifier goes up to +2...

cujo8-1

The Earl of Burgundy
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Robin said:
But his +1 is not worse than the Self-Rally +1 DRM penalty.
The worse situation is to be stacked with a wounded good order 6+1, because his leadership modifier goes up to +2...
Then I would hope the commissar shoots him before he does any more damage!... :rifle: