Rally Phase Actions?

Wedge

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do I have this right?

ATTACKER and DEFENDER Actions:
a. Both sides check which of their Units are in Good Order and which Units are Broken.

b. Both sides may attempt only 1 action during the RPh. (Exception: Leaders, Crews, and Finns can try and Self-Rally and then if successful can attempt to rally units in same hex.)
i. Good Order Units can do 1 of the following:
1. Recover Support Weapon (SW): ATTACKER/DEFENDER – ATTACKER 1st
a. Good Order units may attempt to recover an unpossessed Support Weapon (SW) in the same hex. The SW can be of another nationality.
b. Roll one die (dr) if result is less than 6 [+1 Dice Roll Modifier (DRM) if Counter Exhausted (CX)] the Recovery is successful.
c. Will cost 1 Movement Factor (MF). See Movement Factor Phase.​
2. Repair Broken Support Weapon (SW): ATTACKER/DEFENDER – ATTACKER 1st
a. A Good Order unit possessing a broken SW of its own nationality may attempt to repair the SW.
b. Roll a die, successful repair if result is less than equal to the repair number on the back of the SW counter. A result of 6 eliminates the SW permanently.​
3. Transfer Support Weapon (SW): ATTACKER/DEFENDER – ATTACKER 1st
a. Stacks may be freely rearranged to change possession of all SW between Good Order units.
b. Units must be in the same hex.​
4. ATTACKER Only: Deploy into Half Squads. A Good Order squad with a Good Order Leader in the same Location may attempt to split into two equal Half Squads by having to pass a Leader-Modified Normal Task Check (NTC).
a. Normal Task Check (NTC).
b. Roll two dice (DR):
i. Add/subtract the Leadership Value found on the Leader Unit counter.
ii. If the result is equal to or less than current Moral Level of the Unit the split is successful.​
5. ATTACKER/DEFENDER: May attempt to Recombine into a Full Squad. Two Good Order Half Squads with a Good Order Leader in the same Location may attempt to combine into on Full Squad by having to pass a Leader-Modified Normal Task Check (NTC).
a. Normal Task Check (NTC).
b. Roll two dice (DR):
i. Add/subtract the Leadership Value found on the Leader Unit counter.
ii. If the result is equal to or less than the current Moral Level of the Unit the split is successful.​
ii. Broken Unit Self Rally
1. Self-Rallies: ATTACKER/DEFENDER – ATTACKER 1st
a. ATTACKER is limited to only attempting 1 Multi Man Counter (MMC) Self- Rally that does not have self-rally capability (a box around the broken side Moral Level), that self-rally must be the first MMC to attempt self-rally.
b. Units with a box around the broken side Morale Level (Leaders,Crews,Finns) may attempt a Self-Rally.
c. Leaders attempting to Self-Rally may not apply their leadership modifier.
d. The unit must make a Dice Roll (DR) with a +1 Dice Roll Modifier (DRM).
i. If the DR is an Original 12 the unit suffers Casualty Reduction.
1. If Leader rolls an Original 12 the leader is Wounded. A Wounded Leader:
i. Must immediately roll (dr) for wound severity. Result of 1-4 is a Light Wound; 5-6 is Eliminated. If the Leader is Eliminated all other Units must make a Morale Check.
ii. Has only 3 Movement Factors (MF).
iii. Individual Portage Capacity (IPC) is reduced to 0.
iv. Can’t Double Time (CX).
v. Leader’s Moral Level is reduced by one and Leadership DRM gain one.​
2. If Full Squad rolls an Original 12 it is reduced to a Half Squad.
3. If Half Squad rolls an Original 12 it is Eliminated.​
iii. An Original 2 on a self-rally by a non-crew MMC results in leader creation for most nationalities. An Original 2 on an assisted rally results in Heat of Battle for many types of units.
iv. Add/Subtract the following Dice Roll Modifiers (DRM):
1. +4 DRM if the unit is suffering from Desperation Morale (DM counter).
2. -1 DRM if the unit is in Woods, Building, Pillbox, or Trenches.
3. Leadership DRM (+ or -). Leaders may not apply their Leadership DRM to their own Self Rally attempt.​
e. The final result must be less than or equal to the Moral Level in order
to Rally.​
c. Unit Rallies: ATTACKER/DEFENDER - ATTACKER 1st
i. Good Order Leaders stacked with broken units in the same hex may attempt to Rally.
ii. Each unit must make a Dice Roll (DR) less than or equal to the Morale Number on its broken side.
iii. If the DR is an Original 12 the unit suffers Casualty Reduction:
1. Wounds a Leader, Reduce Full Squad to Half Squad, or Eliminates a Half Squad.
2. A Wounded Leader:
a. Must immediately roll (dr) for wound severity. Result of 1-4 is a Light Wound; 5-6 is Eliminated. If the Leader is Eliminated all other Units must make a Morale Check.
b. Has only 3 Movement Factors (MF).
c. Individual Portage Capacity (IPC) is reduced to 0.
d. Can’t Double Time.
e. Leader’s Moral Level is reduced by one and Leadership DRM gain one.​
iv. Add/Subtract the following Dice Roll Modifiers (DRM):
a. +4 DRM if the unit is suffering from Desperation Morale (DM counter).
b. -1 DRM if the unit is in Woods or Building.
c. Leadership DRM (+ or -).​

Last edited:

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Only the ATTACKER may attempt to Deploy and Self-rally units without Self-rally capability.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Mostly this looks good. Just a few things as I see it:

1) Generally speaking, "Each unit of both sides may attempt only 1 of the following actions..." (though some of what you say doesn't correspond to both sides).

2) under Deployment section, deployment is successful if the final modified DR is equal to or less than the unit's morale level (as is the case with any TC)

3) Under Unit Rallies you include the sentence: "All other units in the hex must make a Morale Check." This would be true only if the leader rolls a 12 while attempting to rally and then becomes KIA due to the resultant wound severity DR.

4) Under wounds, you state that a wounded leader has to drop any SW. I don't think that is true. A SMC typically has 1 IPC and can carry up to 2 PP maximum. It can also combine its IPC to an accompanying unit's IPC. I think a wounded SMC has zero IPC yet can still carry up to 2 PP (with the usual 1MF reduction in his total MFs for each PP carried above his IPC). [Last sentence edited for clarity]

...Oh and while only the Attacker may attempt to deploy, both sides may attempt to recombine during the RPh.

Last edited:

Wedge

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have made the necessary changes for rules and wording - thanks to you both for replying.

@Binchois.
I did read in the Starter Kit 1 Rule Book on page 6 that Wounded Leaders SMC are reduced to 0 IPCs. I did not see any specific ruling in the Full Rule Book 2nd Edition other than that they can fire Support Weapons.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have made the necessary changes for rules and wording - thanks to you both for replying.

@Binchois.
I did read in the Starter Kit 1 Rule Book on page 6 that Wounded Leaders SMC are reduced to 0 IPCs. I did not see any specific ruling in the Full Rule Book 2nd Edition other than that they can fire Support Weapons.
Binchois did have it mostly correct but as you pointed out a Wounded SMC's PP is reduced to 0 (A17.2). However, per A4.42 a SMC may portage up to 2PP (maximum) and it doesn't say anywhere in the RB that this is also reduced for being wounded. Per A17.2 a wounded SMC can move a 3MF (maximum) and if following other rules for portaging equipment in excess of your IPC (Zero in this instance) a wounded SMC's MF would be reduced by one for every PP he attempts to portage, up to a maximum total of 2PP, or a resultant 2MF reduction.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The rule says a wounded SMC has no IPC, but it doesn't mean the SMC can't portage.

Q&A said:
A17.2 Even though a wounded SMC "has no IPC", may he portage a SW?
A. Yes, subtracting that SW's PP value from his three-MF allotment. (In A17.2, change "no IPC" to "an IPC of zero"). However, a wounded SMC may not carry > 2 PP (A4.42), nor may he portage any SW while he is being "carried" by a MMC. [An93b; Mw]
JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Actually A17.2 says it is reduced to Zero: "A wounded man is reduced to three MF (even if berserk/during the RtPh) except while being carried by any form of conveyance (in which case he is considered to have 4 MF), has an IPC of zero, and cannot Double Time." Though the ultimate effect I believe would be the same.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
The text in the 2nd Edition was changed, per the 1st Edition Q&A quoted above.

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Just to confirm, I think I had this right all along...or am I missing something in the posts that follow mine above? :dontknow

4) Under wounds, you state that a wounded leader has to drop any SW. I don't think that is true. A SMC typically has 1 IPC and can carry up to 2 PP maximum. It can also combine its IPC to an accompanying unit's IPC. I think a wounded SMC has zero IPC yet can still carry up to 2 PP (with the usual 1MF reduction in his total MFs for carrying above his IPC).

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just to confirm, I think I had this right all along...or am I missing something in the posts that follow mine above? :dontknow
If the wounded SMC was portaging 2PP of SW, his available MF would be reduced by 2 not by one as you have intimated as he has a PP capability of zero. If what you meant was his MF is reduced by 1 for each PP in excess of zero, then you are correct.

Your post: "I think a wounded SMC has zero IPC yet can still carry up to 2 PP (with the usual 1MF reduction in his total MFs for carrying above his IPC)."

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
If the wounded SMC was portaging 2PP of SW, his available MF would be reduced by 2 not by one as you have intimated as he has a PP capability of zero. If what you meant was his MF is reduced by 1 for each PP in excess of zero, then you are correct.

Your post: "I think a wounded SMC has zero IPC yet can still carry up to 2 PP (with the usual 1MF reduction in his total MFs for carrying above his IPC)."
Aha! Now I see what you were saying...and yes, I did mean "for each MF in excess" (will edit above)!

bendizoid

Official ***** Dickweed
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Um, so a unit with 0 portage capacity can still portage stuff. Got it.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think this sentence from A17.2 makes it clear that he can:

...A wounded man who is not portaging a SW may be carried by any Good Order MMC at a cost of five PP...
Because if he was unable to carry a SW why include the disclaimer?

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
c. Will cost 1 Movement Factor (MF). See Movement Factor Phase.
In the Rally Phase, there is no MF cost to recover weapons. The 1 MF only applies if the unit is attempting to recover a SW in the movement phase.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Self-rally includes crews, Finns, not just leaders.

Not only is the ATTACKER limited to rallying only one MMC without self-rally capability (boxed ML), that self-rally must be the first MMC self-rally.

A pillbox or trench also provides a -1 rally DRM.

A snakeeyes on a self-rally by a non-crew MMC results in leader creation for most nationalities. A snakeeyes on an assisted rally results in Heat of Battle for many types of units.

Recombination is automatic in the presence of a leader.

Deployment requires passing a NTC, but a NTC is successful if the DR is < the ML, not < the ML.

Clarification: the leadership DRM applied to a rally attempt is the leadership DRM of the leader actually doing the rallying. The DRM of other leaders in the Location has no effect. The presence of a commissar greatly complicates your rally summary.

JR

Wedge

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks jrv. I made those corrections - additions.