Raise your hand if you have not played a scenario from the Forgotten War module

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not yet for me. I am excited to try KWASL, but I am still working my way to ASL competence. I've not yet played night, nor OBA, nor air support in ASL. KWASL will have its day once I progress a bit more as an ASL player.

ChrisM

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not yet.

Night Rules are not popular in my group, which eliminates several scenarios. in the box. I am intrigued though and would like to get one on the table (Maybe ROK and a Hard Place) on the table before year's end.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
If you are looking for a scenario from FW which you can play to say you played one, I suggest the Grist Mill [208]. It is small, infantry only with relatively few special rules. The Americans set up thinking, "can this be won?" but it is trending toward favoring the Americans a bit. I think it may be easy to set the North Koreans up wrong, and it should be nearly even.

JR

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Rally Point #15: Special Study I of the Korean War will be released on 8/23/18. That's tomorrow.
This is good news, Evan. I've not played any FW scenarios yet but the Korean theme is cool. I think having more (daytime) scenarios out there, and maybe some more Korean-theme geoboards, would be a good boost in the right direction.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No, I have not played any scenario from Forgotten War because I haven't opened it yet because I am still sorting counters but had to stop that because I am waiting for Armies of the Oblivious but it has not been reprinted yet (ask MMP why not because I don't know) and I want to know how it might affect my sorting scheme.

Is that a good answer?
Iduuno - Third Base!

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If you are looking for a scenario from FW which you can play to say you played one, I suggest the Grist Mill [208]. It is small, infantry only with relatively few special rules. The Americans set up thinking, "can this be won?" but it is trending toward favoring the Americans a bit. I think it may be easy to set the North Koreans up wrong, and it should be nearly even.

JR
I would also recommend First Bayonet Charge (included in FW) for the same reasons. Yes, it does include Deep Snow, however for the special rules -averse, I would remind them that quite a large number of the battles during the Korean War were fought in conditions other than 'EC are moderate with no wind'.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This needs a HASL to go with it. So hand is raised.

Little interest in generic ww2 geo scenarios, even less for a conflict I have less interest in.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is good news, Evan. I've not played any FW scenarios yet but the Korean theme is cool. I think having more (daytime) scenarios out there, and maybe some more Korean-theme geoboards, would be a good boost in the right direction.
Don,
I designed eight of the ten scenarios in this pack and I will say that most of the existing geo-boards are not well-suited to Korea. If Korea is to grow among scenario designers, there will definitely need to be a few more boards.

RandyT0001

Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
Don,
I designed eight of the ten scenarios in this pack and I will say that most of the existing geo-boards are not well-suited to Korea. If Korea is to grow among scenario designers, there will definitely need to be a few more boards.
The boards that come in FW will be useful for mountainous terrains like Italy.

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This needs a HASL to go with it. So hand is raised.

Little interest in generic ww2 geo scenarios, even less for a conflict I have less interest in.
There are some in the works... :)

horseshoe

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not yet. We have it, we opened it. we liked the look of it, we are playing a couple of CGs right now, so, its just sitting on the table waiting its turn in the que....

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The boards that come in FW will be useful for mountainous terrains like Italy.
We have used two of the boards to represent another mountainous battlefield for our scenario pack - we were VERY pleased with the terrain now available.

hayesncsu

Reaction score
First name
Hayes
Country
llUnited States
I have not. Really want to. Hatten was more attractive in the since I do not have to read/learn any new rules. After playing St. Nazaire I was ready for "basic" ASL again for a while!

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
I playtested a bunch years ago. I have played none since it came out and probably won't until there are other designs using the rules.

DWPetros

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Don,
Evan, I agree that outside of the 4 new Korean theme boards that came with FW, the remaining geoboards don't look much like Korea. Certainly, some of them can be pressed into service, just as the original 'springtime in France' geoboards were pressed into service for other far off places (ie. Russia). Korean terrain was unique, but it is possible to prepare such Korean theme boards that could provide better coverage, and could even possibly be used for other theaters (ie. Italy). So, yes, we need more of these kinds of boards and I've spent some time preparing several sketches for eventual consideration by MMP. It would be great if an AP or some such release, included some additional Korean terrain - namely a Korean village, some valley or more open plain terrain, to name a couple ideas.