Elder Member
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
First name
Cary
Country
llUnited States
No, I have not played any scenario from Forgotten War because I haven't opened it yet because I am still sorting counters but had to stop that because I am waiting for Armies of the Oblivious but it has not been reprinted yet (ask MMP why not because I don't know) and I want to know how it might affect my sorting scheme.

Is that a good answer?

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is hard to say what your sorting scheme might be...but I would suggest that AoO does not impact how your would sort or might sort KWASL. The overlap or brain teasers on how to sort KWASL come with how you see the Yanks, Brits, and Russians, maybe some info counters too (assuming you would see the CPVA, ROKs, and UN as "others").

So 'sorting' shouldn't stop you from playing KWASL even if the KWASL counters had to be kept in their original box until you figured out what scheme, to use given what I noted above.

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Who has not played a scenario from the Forgotten War module?
If so why not?
I haven't. Mostly because my ASL play is waaay off this year, almost to the point where I could claim I'm on hiatus. But there have been a handful of scenarios played.

With that said I haven't wanted to invest the time to read the new rules for FW in order to play a scenario. I must admit that I have personally run into rules fatigue and when I saw pages of rules for the Chinese, I failed my own personal Morale Check.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure it's fine but I not here to judge your answer, just listen.
When I started, playing SL in 1978, my German OB was sorted into 3 zip lock bags: Humans, SW, Vehicles/ordnance. I guess we've advanced to the point where counter storage is very important.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I haven't. Mostly because my ASL play is waaay off this year, almost to the point where I could claim I'm on hiatus. But there have been a handful of scenarios played.

With that said I haven't wanted to invest the time to read the new rules for FW in order to play a scenario. I must admit that I have personally run into rules fatigue and when I saw pages of rules for the Chinese, I failed my own personal Morale Check.
I share your feelings regarding the Chinese. I was taken aback by that rules section.

Nineteen Kilo

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I share your feelings regarding the Chinese. I was taken aback by that rules section.
In the grand scheme 4 or 5 more pages is not a big deal. I'm just at a point after playing the game for 30 years (40 if you want to go back to SL) that I'm drawn either to games I already know forward & backwards (which would include A thru D of ASL) or very simple games like 1775, 1812, or Pacific Typhoon. The simple games have actually brought about a gaming renaissance in my circle of friends.

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I opened the box and caressed the components. I sprayed the maps and stored them with the rest of my kit. I proof-read the rules before publication, so I have some idea of what is there. I am very busy with other ASL endeavours. That is what is holding me back. I'll be happy if I cut the counters and play a scenario within a year of the KFW release date.

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I have not played a scenario from FW. Terrible.....and something I should fix at ASLOK I hope.

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States

A friend of mine really wanted to play scenario 210 a CPVA night assault on a Marine Hill so we both took time making cheat sheets and reading through the rules. While it seems daunting at first, I found out with all the exceptions that there are many ways for the CPVA NOT to have to use IPM so not as bad as you might think. They are definitely their own beast and interesting to play but not any more difficult than existing ASL nationalities. Fun cat n mouse scenario until the cold steel phase but it takes some time to play through.

My opinion on all the moaning about FW is old time players (of which I am not) have all the core rules memorized (well as much as anyone can in ASL) so now that there is something new to learn, it is labeled “too much chrome”. That’s cool with me if somebody doesn’t want to play it. I enjoyed playing it so to each his own.

Evan Sherry

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My favorite KWASL scenario so far was Rebel's Roost, although I very much enjoyed Diggers at Congju and ROK on a Roll.

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I can’t play enough of them. I think KWASL is an interesting addition to our game.

If you haven’t tried it, you are missing out.

jfardette

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought a copy so I would have the option, but haven't cracked it open yet. I enjoy military sims, but not too close to our own times. At that point it stops being a subject I want to "game". I don't play anything Vietnam or later, and having spent a year+ serving in Korea back in the 90's, it is just outside my comfort zone so far. Maybe someday. Until then, I stick to WW2 and earlier.

Joe Moro

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Don't have it as yet..but pre-ordered with Milsim here in Mebourne. Will try and play some as soon it gets here!

Reactions: Del