Raise your hand if you have not played a scenario from the Forgotten War module

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hey! I arrived in K-Bay in March(?) 1988. Dropped my seabag with 1st plt, Co. I, 3rd Mar. I was around K-Bay until July 1991, though much of that was off island. Small world.

Aloha and Semper Fi!
I had 2 good friends with the Black Angels (VMFA-235) at K-bay back then, SSgt Tim Zarate and GySgt Don "Dads" Foster. Both powerplants MOS's for the GE-F404 engines in the F/A 18 Hornets. They were at K-Bay from early 1987 until they retired. Cheers to windward side of the island!! :D

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Mods - could we get the Marines to settle down over there? :mad:

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just finished my first design with a KW map-- and it's not even a KW scenarios (although I have completed several of those as well)
Pete, Set aside some ASLOK time and let's test and kibbutz about the KWASL steep hills rules. I'll test one of yours, you test one of mine. My scenario uses the KWASL hill maps, but have yet to decide on which two to use. I am on vacation to the Rockies and while huffing and puffing (at my age?) along these trails I will envision steep hill rules as I trudge ever upward. One thing we can think about are "switchbacks" (mountain trails for infantry--maybe small vehicles) and "razorbacks"--winding steep hill roads. Like me, I am sure many of your scenarios set in the Balkans, Italy and even Norway have been stymied because it just did not have the right "feel" of recreating these hill fights.
Yes, you will have to suffer through my counters again--but at least this time my trays are labelled!

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play tested one. But have yet to play a single FW scenario. Just doesn’t excite me. Maybe after Dien Bien Phu, DASL playtesting and Ramsey’s Charge! But it is nice to know that y’all put out a new Rally Pack Evan! That I will buy

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
...One thing we can think about are "switchbacks" (mountain trails for infantry--...
You can get this DFE for free by SSR just that bullet point 2 of W1.34 applies as if there was a trench but no TEM of any form applies...just the easier movement. So assume you say Steep Hills are in effect in SSR 1. Then EX SSR2 "To reflect the existence of mountain tracks all infantry movement in hill hexes in hexrows P thru R are assessed as if moving in a Trench, W1.34 bullet 2." Or words like this I am sure it can be tightened up, this is just my hack in 30 seconds.

FourDeuceMF

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hands firmly in pockets here. Though I was involved with the design, work & family obligations kept me from any playtesting...though post-publication I've played 3 or 4 scenarios with my son - which pretty much was 90% of my play of ASL over the past several months, outside of the Tokyo & St Louis tournaments. Fun to play around with the final product. Reminds me to dust off some long-neglected design outlines, and perhaps chat again with Don P. (hey, I still have those maps that we discussed about, and you mocked up back in 2003, may be the base of a great AP!). Would love to eventually do a 'Heartbreak Ridge' HASL (can we get a 'Highway' US Army hero counter?!?).

Nice little shill to get talk about your scenario pack, Evan...all publicity is good publicity. ;-)

FourDeuceMF

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I'm remembering the movie correctly, shouldn't the 'Highway' character be a USMC hero instead?
Nope - US Army...in the movie, his CSM buddy telling the story says that they were in the Army then...they joined the Corps later...

The movie was originally set to be an Army story...though the ridiculous script and inaccuracies ended up having the Army pull out of supporting the project. Can't say I blame him. However, this meant that the character 'Snuffy', allegedly patterned after Darrell Andersen, was cut from the movie. All his lines went to Mario van Peebles.