Rain/Mist...

Martin Mayers

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Gulagwanker
Country
llUkraine
The rules seem to explain the LV that apply for Rain/Heavy rain then go on to say "mist applies".

I presume meaning that if it's misty AND raining, that both sets of LV apply in tandem ??

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Mayers,

Hmmm...E3.51 says that, during rain, if the rain increases in intensity, the Mist LV Hindrance
increases...

It seems the LV hindrance during rain is the Mist LV Hindrance.

Therefore, I do not think they both apply (as there is only one hindrance).

Obviously, an SSR can override this...

indy

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No follow up is actually necessary, but why should that stop me....?

Its a little wiggly but if you read strictly --
nowhere do the rules say Rain itself is an LV hindrance... Rather, fog/mist/rain/snow are introduced in E3.1 as LV weather conditions -- and that is of course correct: all are accompanied by an LV effect that comes from mist [EXC fog]. Mist is mist and /rain/ falling snow cause mist. Heavy rain/snow cause heavy mist. Fog doesn't cause mist tho, it's its own beast. And as far as I can tell fog (like plain mist, but unlike rain) doesn't prevent smoke placement.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No follow up is actually necessary, but why should that stop me....?

Its a little wiggly but if you read strictly --
nowhere do the rules say Rain itself is an LV hindrance... Rather, fog/mist/rain/snow are introduced in E3.1 as LV weather conditions -- and that is of course correct: all are accompanied by an LV effect that comes from mist [EXC fog]. Mist is mist and /rain/ falling snow cause mist. Heavy rain/snow cause heavy mist. Fog doesn't cause mist tho, it's its own beast. And as far as I can tell fog (like plain mist, but unlike rain) doesn't prevent smoke placement.
However, Fog sure is a bugger as it's a SMOKE like TEM and entails an additional +1 firing out of it. Give me the KGP Mist mess over the Fog rules any day. (YMMV)

Pyth

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My KGP I is "unpunched" and .... I've yet to play a fog scenario so I'll have to take your word for it there... but the fog rules seem straight forward enough... it's hard to see so fix bayonets and driving at night use the lo-beams.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My KGP I is "unpunched" and .... I've yet to play a fog scenario so I'll have to take your word for it there... but the fog rules seem straight forward enough... it's hard to see so fix bayonets and driving at night use the lo-beams.
WHAT!o_OMissed out on play'n with the purplies? Leave the counters unpunched and haul it out for a couple of scenarios at least. Some good ones in there and the increasing Mist and Slope rules aren't that bad once you get used to them (download Mark's Slope aid from the DM site, it's a real help). As for a Fog scenario, don't bother (IMHO) it'll leave you frustrated beyond expectations. If you need proof, try AP140 MISTY MORNING MAYHEM and get back to me (AND the Fog level isn't that bad in that scenario even). YMMV.

ibncalb

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Brain Fart = Necro

Rain causes mist (+1 LV hindrance at over 6 hexes) However heavy rain causes +1 at less than 6 and this LV mod "is increased by +1 at all ranges > six hexes".

I thought i'd been playing it right,but now I'm confused. Is heavy rain +1 at less than 6 hexes and then +1 per multiple of 6 hexes after 6 like mist, or is it +1 over 6 hexes and that's it?

Doug Leslie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
It has to be +1 for every multiple of six hexes. It would make no sense if visibility was better at 20 hex range in heavy rain than in normal rain. The rule could certainly have been worded better though.