Raimi to Direct Warcraft Movie

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
When does Warhammer get its movie? :mad:

Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and Legendary Pictures announced today that Sam Raimi has signed on to direct the eagerly-anticipated major motion picture based on Blizzard Entertainment's award-winning Warcraft universe. Raimi has, in the course of his career, clearly demonstrated a genius for developing and adapting existing fictional universes for mainstream audiences while staying true to the spirit of the original content.
I am curious how they are going to proceed. How do you capture the essence of Warcraft without coming across as a LotR rip-off (which it is)? At least a Warhammer film could go very dark, as befits a movie made about that series. Warcraft doesn't really have that option as it is more fantasy-light.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
When does Warhammer get its movie? :mad:

I am curious how they are going to proceed. How do you capture the essence of Warcraft without coming across as a LotR rip-off (which it is)? At least a Warhammer film could go very dark, as befits a movie made about that series. Warcraft doesn't really have that option as it is more fantasy-light.
Make it a parody, in the style of the first Brady Bunch movie. Seems fitting...

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What do you think about this?

Exclusive: 'WarCraft' Movie Taps 'Saving Private Ryan' Screenwriter

Speaking with MTV News, director Sam Raimi dropped some interesting info regarding his upcoming "WarCraft" movie, saying that the screenwriting process has just begun:

"We want to be really faithful to the game...to the Horde and the Alliance and the mythology that takes place in the game, and the archetypes that the game presents. I think we would try and find touchstones within the game to make it accurate and true and choose one or some of the lands that are portrayed in the game with as much accuracy and authenticity as possible.

"But we would have our writer, Robert Rodat, really craft an original story within that world that feels like a 'World of WarCraft' adventure. Only obviously it's very different 'cause it's expanded and translated into the world of a motion picture."

As far as we can tell, that's the first we've heard of Rodat being involved in the writing process for the movie. His previous screenplays include "Saving Private Ryan" and "The Patriot." It's an interesting choice, but with a project still so early in development it's possible that it'll change by the time the final script is agreed upon. Raimi seemed pretty enthusiastic that Rodat is the right man for the job, though, saying:

"I've never made a video game movie, but my approach would be to work with the best character writer I can find, which in this case is Robert Rodat, and tell a great character story within the fantastic environment of the world of WarCraft, while staying true to their mythology."

For more on the story, check out MoviesBlog.MTV.com.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
PC Gamer has an update (but not much new):

What do we know about the Warcraft movie?
2: It’s a ‘war movie’, not an adventure
Rather than going the Lord of the Rings route, with a band of merry adventurers go off questing, Warcraft will focus on the wider picture, of the mighty factions of Azeroth once more swinging into position for another massive scrap. This actually means that the movie will likely feel closer to the original Warcraft RTS games, rather than WoW’s concentration on individuals and small parties. And of course this way, the inevitable between Horde and Alliance will be much, much bigger in scale.

3: There will be blood
Don’t be fooled by the chunky cartoon visuals that have characterised the Warcraft games thus far. The movie isn’t going to pull its punches in depicting a world of races at each others’ throats. The action will be intense, and bloody. According to Chris Metzen, Blizzard’s lead writer for the Warcraft series: “We’re definitely not going to make a G or a PG version of this. It’s not PillowfightCraft.”
These two points I concur with. However, notice Metzen said it will not be a G or PG...which means PG-13, no doubt. So, it will have pillow fights for all the teens. An R rating, as much as I hate to say this, would have made me much more optimistic.

10: It’s kind of a big deal
With a budget upwards of $100 million and ready made audience of 11 million WoW players, the Warcraft movie has a pretty hefty head-start on other films of this type.
The same could be said for Warhammer. At least with Warhammer, you could have went with an R rating and made it fantasy-horror.

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Bad news for Warcraft fans:

Warcraft movie pushed aside - Report

According to a Deadline report, the film set in the Warcraft universe won’t be released any time soon. When confirmed director Sam Raimi dropped out of his directorial position on Spider-Man 4, many expected that would free up time for him to work on the Warcraft film. However, according to the report, that’s not the case, and the director is instead working on Disney’s Wizard of Oz reboot.
The only thing worse than the announcement of a Warcraft movie is the announcement that it has been put on hold for a Wizard of Oz remake! Really? We need one of those? :rolleyes:

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
World of Warcraft Movie has some fresh news on the film:
Movie work is heating up in last few weeks. After little info coming out about project now we finally get some real info.

Few days ago Mila Kunis was connected with the movie and it seems that Liam Neeson could be joining her, as it is believed that he is in talks for a role in the film. It is expected that Liam will not be playing any of the lead characters in World of Warcraft movie but will instead have a smaller role, with the potential of playing a bigger part in any future sequels.

Mark Hildebrandt’s suggested role as Varian Wrynn has been leant weight by the fact that he has been training with film fighting trainer Bob Goodwin. Goodwin trained Christian Bale for the Batman Begins movie and is believed to be in charge of training the World of Warcraft stars.