Railway and LOS

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Okay, so an EmRR is a long, continuous hillock. Would there be any reason whatsoever that a unit ON the hillock in BB13 (but not entrenched) could not see a unit in BB9 in the above picture? What about this? Could the unit in CC17 see the unit in W4, assuming the building in AA13 did not exist? The LOS leaves the EmRR and goes thru CC16.

View attachment 11012

BB13 has LOS to BB9. BB12 is "the same" hillock. See squad K & squad P in the giant chapter F hillock example. I use squad P to show entrenchment while ON a hillock does not matter. I believe it only matters when at ground level behind one, and then only to another ground level.

Per F6.411 a unit ON a hillock has LOS past the first hedge/wall on the LOS and to immediately behind the second. A rubble hex is treated as a hedge on the far side [F6.412] so the unit in CC17 can see past the rubble in Y8 but only to the first hexes behind another hedge, i.e. it can see X4 but not W4. If either the rubble or the X5 hedge did not exist (or both were not present) CC17 could see W4, again assuming AA13 is open ground.

JR

Last edited:

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Here's a strange effect of EmRR: in the Hatten map that was poster earlier here, my understanding is that LOS from BB11 to AA8 is blocked by the inherent "Hillock" in AA10, even though the LOS never comes close to the railroad artwork. BB11/AA8 are not considered adjacent to the EmRR, as defined in F6.4 (LOS leaves the start/end hexes through hexsides that are not to EmRR hexes, namely BB10 and AA9 respectively).

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Here's a strange effect of EmRR: in the Hatten map that was poster earlier here, my understanding is that LOS from BB11 to AA8 is blocked by the inherent "Hillock" in AA10, even though the LOS never comes close to the railroad artwork. BB11/AA8 are not considered adjacent to the EmRR, as defined in F6.4 (LOS leaves the start/end hexes through hexsides that are not to EmRR hexes, namely BB10 and AA9 respectively).
Personally I don't find it strange. I have to ignore the artwork, it is true, but there are lots of times one ignores the artwork so it's not a not a stretch for me. I pretend the RR hexes are hillocks. I have played DTO often enough to be somewhat comfortable with hillocks. So I suggest everyone play lots and lots of DTO.

JR

sfcmikej

US Army Retired
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having recently played the Hatten CG the question I have is this: was it ever resolved whether you treat the railway as more than one hillock if the LOS leaves the railway hexes then re-enters the railway hexes? We played it that if the LOS left the railway hexes and re-entered the railway hexes you were now on the second hillock. I know it was alluded to in an earlier post on this thread but I am not sure it was answered. What do ya'll think?

Mike

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Having recently played the Hatten CG the question I have is this: was it ever resolved whether you treat the railway as more than one hillock if the LOS leaves the railway hexes then re-enters the railway hexes? We played it that if the LOS left the railway hexes and re-entered the railway hexes you were now on the second hillock. I know it was alluded to in an earlier post on this thread but I am not sure it was answered. What do ya'll think?
Per the q&a I cited, no second hillock. In the q&a the LOS leaves the RR in bb11 then re-enters and does not block LOS.

JR

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Is W 4 and 5 a hillock in this??

I thought they were plowed fields.

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Also on the map, orchards are out of season. This means the usual LOS block thing does not exist.

This is important for the rampant OBA that will surely wreck someone's day.

Mr Incredible

Rod loves red undies
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Also on the map, orchards are out of season. This means the usual LOS block thing does not exist.

This is important for the rampant OBA that will surely wreck someone's day.
It's not really rampant. Each side only can have one module each. Each side has three modules for 5 dates, so there is a possibility of no OBA on a couple of dates.

CTKnudsen

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
It's not really rampant. Each side only can have one module each. Each side has three modules for 5 dates, so there is a possibility of no OBA on a couple of dates.
That and the meat of the town has some of the most restrictive LOS I've ever seen. Placement of Guns is an issue in a lot of scenarios, because you run into so many orchards, walls, and buildings that you quickly become unable to see or hit a damn thing. OBA has similar issues. And orchards being out of season isn't such a big deal when the number of level 1 locations can be counted essentially on one hand.