Raging Tiger Review

kbluck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, I finally found a third-party review of Raging Tiger from a guy who actually seems to have played the game, at least a little.

No sir, he didn't like it. It is apparent that his thing is RTS moreso than wargaming, but even so he has some harsh things to say about the interface.

Unfortunately for most of us here, the review is in French. Here is the URL:

http://www.hardgamers.com/critiques.asp?no=940

I've taken the liberty of making a machine translation, appended below, for those who don't read French. Sorry if its a bit fractured, I didn't spend much time cleaning it up.

Raging Tiger: The Second Korean War

By Tiblanc
Category: Strategy
Created: September 18, 2004
Edited: September 19, 2004
Editor: Shrapnel Games
Developer: ProSIM
In store: September 2004
Configuration: Pentium 2 300Mhz 32 Mb

Critic's comments

I have always reflected on an existential question. Why do games of strategy that try to be extremely realistic always seem to come with a terrible interface? It is not now that I am going to have my answer, unfortunately.

It would seem that there are people, somewhere, who feed on complication and like to transform simple things into complex operations. Let us take a simple example. To open a door, it is enough to lay your hand on the handle, close your fingers, perform a rotation of the wrist, and push or pull, depending on which side we're on. There are even people, and this is no lie, who developed a system which opens doors all by themselves when you walk up!

Raging Tiger is meant be a highly realistic wargame. The game takes place in the year 2010 in Korea. North Korea wants to attack the South, and the Americans feel compelled to go there with their marvellous army which seems very small. I did not know that it was possible to conquer a nation with less than 200 realistic men. Perhaps I'm missing something? Our role is that of commander who moves his realistic troops on a realistic virtual field in realistic real-time. It would seem that everything is realistic, except the fact that real commanders have, in reality, a much easier time giving orders to their troops. For instance, what is the intuitive manner of telling a unit to move to a given point? My days playing Warcraft tell me to choose a unit with a left click and to right-click where I want my unit to go. Apparently that is too easy. Here, it is necessary to right-click a unit to get a menu, make the correct selection, and to drag towards destination. If we have misfortune to fumble, such as a right-click at the wrong place, it is necessary to begin again. While playing this game they make little use of interfaces evolved over the years for our greatest good.

Putting aside the lesson how not to design an interface, the game gives other more or less interesting aspects. There is the terrain. It seems to have enemies hidden everywhere, but it is impossible to see them since the terrain blocks our eyesight. It often happens that our troops advance happily across the field and suddenly blow up. It is therefore necessary to try to send our scouts to locate the enemies and to try to move forward our other troops carefully so that they can shoot back. It is also possible to use our artillery to bomb a zone or air units to arrive behind a hill and bomb the bad guys, as in the movies. However, it is so unintuitive to give these orders that it is frustrating. The whole is encoded in a variety of abbreviations which make sure that you are never sure of what each thing represents. What is BBDPICM and what does it do? Put to one side that it is a type of artillery, I have no idea of what it is or of its strong and weak points.

Graphics follow the lead of the game, realistic. When certain persons say that the world is not nice to see, they are right. Our units, which seem drawn with Paint, move merrily on what seems to be a low resolution satellite photo of this region of the globe. The whole is accompanied with arrows when units move and of a black mini - map with small dark blue points. I would well like to know who came up with this marvellous idea. A quick glance to see the position of our troops shows nothing but a big black square. It is necessary to peer closely at the screen and to allow our eye to adjust to see some tiny blue points appear. Far from being practical. On the sound side, not much to speak of. No music. There are only some rare sounds which play once every so often. For instance, a sound of a motor when our tanks start or another sound of a gun when there is a barrage. The rest of time, it is possible to hear a fly.

Playability: Game has good ideas, but interface is so difficult to use that the whole results in a session of frustration. 10/20
Screenplay: There are a lot of incomprehensible military terms so that ordinary mortals will not know too much about what is going on. 12/20
Graphic Quality Welcome to 1990! 6/20
Music, sounds and sound ambience: Minimal effort. 5/20
Play Time: Difficult to say. There are about fifteen missions with the possibility of creating more, but it is necessary to be masochistic. 8/20

TECHNICAL TOTAL: 41
OVERALL INTEREST: 25 %

It is definitely proper to give a chance to the independent developers by accepting that their games are of less good quality than those developed with millions of dollars, but when faced with this title and another for the same price, it would be crazy to choose it. Why be bored to death playing a game when you could be bored without it? Unless wanting realism at any price, it is recommended to avoid this title since it causes irreversible brain damage. Keep out of reach of children.

Tiblanc

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
He has a point about the interface.

Of course, that doesn't excuse him from not looking any further. At the very least he could end his review with a remark that the interface is so terrible he aborts the review. But since he doesn't say that it looks like the whole game is crap.

How can he fail to mention the nukes?

Oh that's right, because they are so hard to reach

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
LOL! I started laughing less than 2 lines into that reveiw. If this guy played anything, it was only the demo.

Yes, the interface, at first, is a bit to manage, but after playing with it for even an hour or so, it gets much easier. Obviously, the guy didn't bother playing it for more than even 30 minutes.

This is what happens when a non-wargamer tries to play a wargame, period. The fact that he doesn't know what BB-DPICM is, nor that he even bothered to try and find it in the manual (it's there), supports the idea that he didn't even play the full version! In fact, the manual isn't even mentioned.

Also, the guy actually thought that the battles fought on screen were the only units involved in invading North Korea? LMAO.

$10 says the guy is about 17 or 18 and spends countless hours playing Doom 3 and eating brie-flavored Pringles?!;)

Sorry, that's not really fair, is it? Why is it people can't actually play a game completely before reviewing it? I see it all the time, and, unless you actually PAY someone to review it, it's almost always unfavorable!

Oh well, this guy's in Quebec. Maybe Hub can talk some sense into him?! :laugh:

Last edited:

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Siberian HEAT said:
WarfareHQ is going to have a review of this game in a few weeks. Just FYI if you can wait that long. :D
You mean someone will actually play it for longer than 30 minutes! Wow!

Now I'm REALLY worried! ;):cheeky:

Hub

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
CPangracs said:
Oh well, this guy's in Quebec. Maybe Hub can talk some sense into him?! :laugh:
"This is Hub 1 to Redleg 1. Adjust fire from EA Parliament Hill to EA Montreal. Infantry in the open- Fire for Effect. Hub 1 out."

Pat Proctor

President, ProSim Company
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It is unfortunate that the bad reviews always come out first. The guy who takes the time to play the game can't beat the guy who spends 30 minutes with the game to the presses.

In a strange way, I think this review might actually encourage a hardcore wargamer to try the game. If it is too complex and too detailed for the casual gamer, it is probably right up the grognard's alley.

kbluck

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's another. These guys also seem too hung up on the interface to get into the gameplay much. One of them apparently blew a mental fuze or something and didn't even offer a rating. At least he's honest about it; he just didn't get it.

Scroll down about a third.

http://www.gametunnel.com/html/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=52

The fuze-blowing guy was so worked up that he used RT as a point of comparison for yet another game whose interface he didn't like, Car Thief 5. At least you made an impression, right? ;)

http://www.gametunnel.com/html/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=53

--- Kevin

Last edited:

Scully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
kbluck said:
Here's another. These guys also seem too hung up on the interface to get into the gameplay much. One of them apparently blew a mental fuze or something and didn't even offer a rating. At least he's honest about it; he just didn't get it.

Scroll down about a third.

http://www.gametunnel.com/html/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=52

The fuze-blowing guy was so worked up that he used RT as a point of comparison for yet another game whose interface he didn't like, Car Thief 5. At least you made an impression, right? ;)

http://www.gametunnel.com/html/modules.php?name=Sections&op=viewarticle&artid=53

--- Kevin
LOL :D Those are pretty good. I think Pat's right about the audience though...these guys aren't looking for this type of game. It's a foreign concept to them. I honestly never found the interface to be too bad...though I play Harpoon3 which is also supposed to have a bad interface. I guess I'll have to run into a good interface before I can compare.

Take care,
Brian

Deltapooh

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Scully said:
LOL :D Those are pretty good. I think Pat's right about the audience though...these guys aren't looking for this type of game. It's a foreign concept to them. I honestly never found the interface to be too bad...though I play Harpoon3 which is also supposed to have a bad interface. I guess I'll have to run into a good interface before I can compare.

Take care,
Brian

I think it comes down to the interest to learn. Its easier for some to blame their defeat on the game's interface.

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I freely admit that I could do some things to make the game more accessible to new players. And those things ARE on the slate (for air assault task force).

But I have a lot of other things on the slate, too. And given the choice between adding content for the loyal fan base and expanding the market appeal to people who might or might not actually like the game, I will choose adding content everytime.

Not that I am adverse to new players OR their concerns. I just only have so many manhours to commit to my passions.

Pat Proctor

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just read the car thief 5 review. I have never had one of my titles mentioned in the same sentence as "crack-smoking chimpanzees". For me, this is a personal milestone :)

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Well, the reason why I didn't buy RT yet is because of the ATF interface

I am a UNIX user, spending a majority of my time in a mouseless mailer and in the emacs editor with menus turned off, so I wouldn't agree that the ATF interface is just too hard on the clicki-bunti crowd. It is just not efficient, in lack of a better word.

(other factors also apply, namely the lack of savegames in two-player and a personal issue with the Korean theater of war)

CPangracs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Redwolf said:
Well, the reason why I didn't buy RT yet is because of the ATF interface

I am a UNIX user, spending a majority of my time in a mouseless mailer and in the emacs editor with menus turned off, so I wouldn't agree that the ATF interface is just too hard on the clicki-bunti crowd. It is just not efficient, in lack of a better word.

(other factors also apply, namely the lack of savegames in two-player and a personal issue with the Korean theater of war)
Okay, so, you don't have ATF and you don't have RT,...just out of curiosity, why are you posting in a forum dedicated to two games you don't even have? Do you have BCT but not the others? Is BCT's interface more friendly? I'm seriously interested in the answer to this.:confused:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
What?

I have BCT and ATF. Should be clear from my message.

KG_Norad

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ATF Mole...Premiering this Week on Fox!!

CPangracs said:
Okay, so, you don't have ATF and you don't have RT,...just out of curiosity, why are you posting in a forum dedicated to two games you don't even have? Do you have BCT but not the others? Is BCT's interface more friendly? I'm seriously interested in the answer to this.:confused:
I always new you were the mole Redwolf. Every time I talked about DV ATTACK you ALWAYS looked at me like I was crazy!! I win!! Where's my prize! Guys...?! :laugh:

LOL

Sorry guys couldn't resist. Redwolf don't worry my friend. I noticed your other posts around here. :D

Last edited:

Redwolf

Member # 3665
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm getting confused here. Yes I have BCT and ATF and didn't buy RT because of the interface and some others issues like no savegame in two-player mode. And yes I played it (ATF, BCT mostly collected dust). And no, I am not a computer illiterate (but hey, that's what they all say, do they?).