Raff's Rules! Raff's Rules! Party Time! Excellent!

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Played J193 Raff's Rules this weekend in the opening round of the Rocky Mountain Rumble, against the erstwhile Dr. Marty ("if it's Tuesday, I'm in Baluchistan") Snow. The map can be found here.

Since Marty was delayed getting to the venue (and who doesn't want to rush to Greeley, Colorado?), I set up the German defense. I'd played a few turns of this with Jazz, putting my at-start AA guns right up front where they could maximize the goodness of hitting the Americans as they came across the open ground of board u, but I'd learned a thing or two. Yes, it's a ton of fun to smack paratroopers in open ground, but no, you're not necessarily winning the game, because if the American player passes his PMC and just keeps pushing forward, the Guns and their crews are eventually going down, at the cost of 2 CVP apiece. That's 8 CVP, which is probably more than they're going to rack up before they go down. Breaking those Paras isn't enough; you have to score lots of CVP. Meanwhile, they're shooting back.

With this in mind, I thought to spread out the German Guns while offering some level of mutual support with the rest of the team. The 105's went in sY1 and Y2, where they could fire down the all-important Y hexrow, pivot to cover the GG hexrow if the US tried to exit that way, support the stone building in sW4 if necessary, and even throw a shot out toward sR5 in a pinch. The AA guns (both of them) went in sGG7, where they could protect the GG hexrow and influence the center of the map. I bought 2 Mines and 2 Wire and put them all in the area around sFF7, just to protect the AA guns.

The idea here was to stuff a US push down the GG hexrow while forcing them to split their force adequately should they want to take out the AA guns for their CVP, and use the Mines and Wire to best effect in protecting those Guns with the aid of the board edge. Meanwhile, the German infantry could fall back to the stone buildings in sW5 and sR3, maximizing their TEM and skulking potential. I hoped this would keep the US from exiting units and make them spread out their attacks while forcing them to spend time moving to contact, preferably over Open Ground.

All of which sounds lovely, but just wasn't enough. Things looked good through 3.5 turns, with the Germans losing only 2 CVP while racking up 7.5 CVP of their own, including a beautiful Sniper shot that kacked the US 10-2. I honestly thought I had it in the bag. At that point, though, a combination of bad luck and bad play did me in - I'd retreated both German leaders, three squads, and two MGs into the sW4 building, leaving sR3 empty. (SHOULD HAVE STUCK TO THE PLAN AND PUT SOMEBODY IN R3!). In the MPh of German turn 4, I foolishly non-assault moved the 8-0, 447/LMG up to the upper level of sX4, eating a 15+1 shot from the nearby US troopers and breaking in the process. SHOULD HAVE SKULKED, but I wanted to get over to W4 level 1 to nail a 747 sitting out in the open in S5, and I forgot that the Orchards were not in season so the LOS to Level 1 was clear. To top it off, that same 747 in S5 rolled snakes in its DFPh shot against the 9-1, 467/MMG in W4, causing the squad to break. Suddenly that stronghold turned into a honeypot of potential CVP, and the game was essentially over. I had some fun getting a 105L Intensive Fire Critical Hit against a squad, but that was a mere sideshow - Marty had his choice of winning by Exit VP or plain old CVP, once the W4 building went down with its 9 CVP occupants.

So, sure, in a smallish tournament game like this, there's a razor's edge to be walked, and Bad Luck + Bad Play = Bad Juju, but dang - I'm just not seeing what the Germans can do here. If they spread out to cover exit avenues and make the Americans chase CVP all over the board, they can't do a good job of mutually supporting each other. (Yes, my little AA Gun nest in sGG7 remained untouched throughout the game, but they scored zero CVP themselves, so was that on balance a waste?) If they concentrate their forces around the stone buildings in R3 and W4, they leave the GG hexrow open for exit and, IMO, are still vulnerable to the firepower advantage that the US can bring to bear.

I saw some cagey German players hide the 105's back around sT1/U1, figuring they'd just generate VP by firing on the US beaches all day. True that, but they're also not doing much to help the German defense.

For his part, Marty hadn't played the scenario before, and reacted to the defense by doing what good players do - press forward, relying on firepower and position while taking what the defense gave him. That did the trick. My Double AA Gun Hex Of Death did draw a bead on the US reinforcements as they came down the uFF hexrow, but once the 20L revealed himself, Marty simply veered his guys left over to the center of the map, losing a bit of time but ultimately adding to the US firepower dominance in the attack against the German center. By the start of American turn 6, the score was Germans 11.5, US 8, but the defense was shattered and the US could have easily racked up 10+ points on that last turn, so I swallowed the bitter taste of defeat and conceded. However, I hope to prevail in the post-game Whining Phase, which starts now.

tipsyweasel

Dead but still purring
Reaction score
Yeah, I just kept running between the tackles and took what the defense gave. Those AA guns looked too hard to assault, so I just shifted to the center to bypass them. As you say, if the Americans don't fail their PMC, it does seem like they will be able to meet the VC more often than not.

skippen

Reaction score
First name
Scott
Country
llUnited States
Hey, I like Greeley. :D I got whomped as the Germans in this one too. It looked like I was doing well, but then he just walked CVP off the map.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Two mines & two wires is only seven purchase points. What happened to the eighth?

JR

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Why don't the Americans buy 2.5 VP, hope the German doesn't do the same, then hide in a corner somewhere?

edit: The Germans earn VP for "firing" the artillery per SSR 2. Never mind.

edit edit: were the German ART firing as artillery to earn VP per SSR 2?

JR

Last edited:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
I played this just last weekend as well. My opponent was relatively inexperienced and didn't know much about Guns, so I took the Germans. His inexperience showed as his advance was pretty muddled but it was an odd game of weird luck (on both sides). Notable events: one of the German 105s malfed on its first "fire for VP" so it was out of play from that point (I certainly didn't dare to attempt to repair it). I had the 20mm on the German right and the 88 on the German left and bought 4 x wire, mostly to protect the AA guns and interdict likely American movement. Well, the 20L malfed on its second shot and X'd it with a 6 on its first repair attempt so suddenly the right looked really weak -- not helped by the presence of the American 10-2 (who had gone Heroic on his first exposure to fire). Fortunately the German Sniper stepped up to fill the gap, breaking one or two squads and killing the 10-2 and between LLMC and various other good shots the American forces on that flank were just destroyed.

And on the other flank ... a strong force of American squads pushed through the woods, able to brush aside my weak picket force. Pushing through he found my wire and consequently the 88, but not head-on as I'd hoped so it had to change CA and fire through some brush to achieve anything. Well ... first shot was improbable, I'm just hoping for ROF. Rolled snakes, but it turned out to be a miss. Still, got the rate and some acquisition so time to step up the pace! And step it up he did, with the following sequence of TH DR: 3 (ROF/Hit), 6 (ROF/Hit), 3 (ROF/Hit) and then 12. Oh well, 3 hits, pretty good, yeah? The first was a 2MC, squad pins. Second was another 2MC, squad passes. Third was a 3MC, squad passes. Sigh.

I wasn't complaining too much, though, since my 9-1+MMG had utterly smashed the reinforcing US 9-1 and his boys with lots of effective ROF shots (although he did spit out yet another fucking hero). All of this all took place in pretty much the same player turn. My opponent had to leave any way, but we agreed that with 2 out of 3 leaders dead (along with a good chunk of US infantry) and most of the German infantry intact (even though the Guns were mostly out of action) the Americans were not likely to succeed. Still, he wasn't in a completely hopeless position and it would have been interesting to see how the next couple of turns went. Just a ton of fun IMO.

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Two mines & two wires is only seven purchase points. What happened to the eighth?
forgotten in the mists of time?

the 105s did fire to get the free VP as often as they could until the US pressed too close to W4 and duty called. I did malf one on turn 1 and X'd it out shortly thereafter on the repair roll, but that was merely the third way Marty could have won :)

I also managed to belatedly realize that I'd moved a squad through my own minefield the turn before :) A bit embarrassing to have to interrupt the flow of the game to settle that issue, but hey.

Come to think of it, maybe it's no surprise that I lost :)

Tuomo

Keeper of the Funk
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
And lest anyone think I'm saying the scenario is a dog, I'm not. I really like the force purchase option, the option for the 105s to score VP instead of firing normally, and the situation as a whole. I just wonder how the Germans can win.

Maybe "don't move through your own minefield" is part of that. I dunno.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The problem with replying is that there are a lot of possible options for the defender. My thought would be to put the two 105s in sS3 (CA sT4) and sT3. That gives LOS up the paved road. Although the road can be crossed by dash that will require that the Americans position themselves for the dash first. If the Germans can get a MG back to R2, that will cut the road nicely too. The MMG starts in sV10 to put down the firelane to uGG6. Having both AA guns in one hex makes me nervous. I might put one in sGG7 (the 88) & the second in sFF7. Or perhaps the second in sEE7, with the idea that if the Americans drove down the German right the FlaK could be Pushed to sBB7. Wire in sEE8 & sFF8? The two ART cover sDD8, making a push through the German left really constrained between the FP from the 105s and the wire.

Overall I don't think your defense was bad. I can't say my ideas are better than yours, only different.

JR

Last edited: