Radioactive Wolves

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was browsing Comcast's On Demand this morning and stumbled upon a really cool program in their History & Nature section. It is about wildlife inhabiting the exclusion zone in Belarus and Ukraine. It follows scientists as they study the wildlife that has flourished in the zone after human abandonment when the Chernobyl reactor melted down way back when. It was fascinating and really fun to watch. I figured I'd share it here with you all. Enjoy!

Also, check out the sidebar on the right for additional interesting tidbits:
PBS - Nature: Radioactive Wolves
What happens to nature after a nuclear accident? And how does wildlife deal with the world it inherits after human inhabitants have fled? The historic nuclear accident at Chernobyl is now 25 years old. Filmmakers and scientists set out to document the lives of the packs of wolves and other wildlife thriving in the “dead zone” that still surrounds the remains of the reactor.
Also, here is an article published in Wired Magazine that discusses the same topic more or less:

Is Chernobyl a Wild Kingdom or a Radioactive Den of Decay?

The pine trees framing the entrance to the forest appear to be normal. Unremarkable. But the crackling dosimeter says otherwise. On this freezing February afternoon, about 2 miles from the concrete sarcophagus that now entombs the number four reactor at the Chernobyl nuclear power plant, Gennadi Milinevsky, a physicist from a university in Kiev, walks along a path carpeted with pine needles and patches of recent snow. The size of a transistor radio, the dosimeter emits a sharp click when it detects a radioactive particle. Milinevsky waves the instrument: Its digital readout indicates levels of radiation 120 times higher than normal. As he walks, the staccato popping gets faster as the levels climb to 250 times higher than normal. “It’s not good,” he says. He ventures toward a wide clearing littered with the trunks of dead trees. Milinevsky suggests stopping the tour here. On the far side of the clearing, he knows, the dosimeter will begin to make a sound no one wants to hear: a terrifying snowstorm of screeching white noise, indicating highly toxic levels of gamma radiation some 1,000 times above normal.

This is the poisoned heart of the Red Forest, nearly 4,000 acres of pine trees that were blanketed with radioactive isotopes of strontium, cesium, plutonium, and microscopic pieces of uranium that roiled from the blazing core of reactor number four over 10 days in April and May of 1986. The pines died in a matter of days, the russet needles marking the windblown path of the most deadly radioactivity to escape the burning reactor. Twenty-five years later, it remains one of the most contaminated ecosystems on earth.

The Chernobyl Exclusion Zone now encompasses more than 1,600 square miles of northern Ukraine and southern Belarus, a ragged swatch of forests, marshes, lakes, and rivers. Cordoned off by a fence and armed guards soon after the accident, the perimeter was first drawn up according to airborne surveys of gamma radiation contamination conducted in the days after the explosions, and it has since been expanded more than once. The current zone extends up to 60 miles from the power plant, the main entrance on the Ukraine side blocked by a paramilitary checkpoint equipped with radiation screening tools. Deeper within the region, a 6-mile zone designates the most heavily contaminated areas around the plant.

In the months after the accident, Soviet authorities undertook drastic measures to deal with the catastrophe. Almost 1,000 acres of the Red Forest had perished, and nearly 4 square miles of topsoil around the sarcophagus was scraped away and buried as radioactive waste. Of the 250 settlements and villages in the zone that were evacuated, the most radioactive were bulldozed in their entirety and interred. Contaminated livestock were slaughtered, and abandoned pet dogs were shot by teams of local hunters. By the time the process of liquidation was finished, the land surrounding the reactor had been transformed into a sterile moonscape, a nightmarish post-nuclear wasteland flattened by machinery and sprayed with chemicals designed to trap radioactive particles close to the ground... Continued.
Discovered that the video doesn't work outside of the US so here it is on Youtube with Eastern European subtitles:
[video=youtube;SmNOclWGslk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=SmNOclWGslk[/video]

Last edited:

kawaiku

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good find! I heard about this PBS show a month or so back but forgot to watch it.
Thanks! I watched this before coming across the Survarium thread you started in the MMO Discussion section. Also, if you have the chance, read the article by WIRED. I thought it was pretty good and sheds more light onto the unknown quantities radiation has with the animals. It was really cool watching the wolves make use of the snow covered roofs of the village for hunting.

Sand Bar Bill

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just the excerpts above are really fascinating. I would think wild animals in the area would be poisoned, eaten by other animals and the contamination spread in such a fashion beyond the immediate area quite aways.