Race for the Meuse

George Kelln

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
RACE FOR THE MEUSE: In the early morning hours of 10 May 1940, a single code-word “Danzig” was transmitted to German forces and at 04.30 hours, German panzers rumbled westward across the border into the Low Countries, heralding the start of the Blitzkrieg in the West. Without encountering significant obstacles, the reconnaissance elements of the 1.Panzerdivision raced across Luxembourg, crossing the 50 kilometres, even before the inhabitants were awake, and reaching the Belgian frontier at Martelange at 07.45 hours. An Advance Guard, consisting of a motorcycle company, an engineer company, an anti-aircraft battery, two anti-tank companies, two companies of infantry, and four groups of artillery raced westward in the early morning hours. The German plan foresaw an attack on Martelange by Marschgruppe Voraus – a motorcycle company supported by armoured cars - then an attack on Bodange by the entire Advance Guard. Closely following up, engineers were to repair bridges, remove roadblocks, and clear minefields for the main body of 1.Panzerdivision. After the capture of Bodange, the commander of the Advance Guard was to reassemble his forces in the area of Fauvillers, keeping the roads open for the panzer forces, while watching south towards the Anlier Forest for the expected French.

Playtesting is continuing with a hopeful release in the summer 2018. Here is an example of the map.

Low Res Small Map.png

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
With the dominating high ground all around the river/stream, that could be a nightmare for the attacker. I like it!

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Plays out very well, but my pics are too large to attach here (can we fix this please, admin?). You can see some of my pics on George's Victoria ASL Club FB pages.

Last edited:

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The river is quite narrow and the streams are fordable.
The Germans have to negotiate many obstacles and face down HMG Bunkers along the way. Challenging, educational (narrow streets always had me returning to the ASLRB!) and best of all--fun!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This looks quite similar to Dan Dolan's Dinant (around the same location .. so, naturally)! @Phlegm
It's three days prior and apparently covers the movements through the Ardennes to get past the Belgian and French light screening forces and make it to the Meuse.

Dinant on the other hand is at the Meuse proper.

BattleSchool

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I've read at least half a dozen books on the Fall of France, but haven't yet read Frieser's book... I have certainly read many glowing reviews, so probably ought to move this one up in the queue. Thanks for reminding me to grab a copy.
I must confess that I have not read the book in its entirety, or at least I don't recall reading it cover to cover.

I probably have about 500 military-history books/journals, 80% of which deal with WW2. I do reference them for research, but these days I rarely get around to reading an entire publication. I'd like to change that.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Karl-Heinz Frieser's Blitzkrieg Legend is a good place to start, if you want to learn more about this action. This "official" history contains a detailed map of the battle for the Bodange Defile, which is the subject of George's TM.
I have this book in my library and read it (the German original). I find it to be exceptionally good and insightful. Money on this book is well spent.

von Marwitz

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have this book in my library and read it (the German original). I find it to be exceptionally good and insightful. Money on this book is well spent.

von Marwitz
I know that I should read it - it's reputation is stellar. I have been fascinated by the tragic French collapse and failures of doctrine and leadership, so have been favoring the French perspective over the German. I'll certainly broaden my perspective soon, though.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I must confess that I have not read the book in its entirety, or at least I don't recall reading it cover to cover.

I probably have about 500 military-history books/journals, 80% of which deal with WW2. I do reference them for research, but these days I rarely get around to reading an entire publication. I'd like to change that.
Glad it's not just me that's starting to pile up the books:cool:
all my friends tell me I have 'too many books' but I just ignore them:D