Raaco- what system storage do you use?

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Do you have any rough idea how much the effective cost of one of those inserts might be?
Most of us don't have a 3D printer, but who knows how much it would cost to have them printed by some service company if the file would be provided.

von Marwitz
I only wish I was on vacation, I'm just working out of Portland Oregon for two weeks.
Pleva looked into getting them printed en masse and I think found it cost prohibitive.
JR was looking to try and asked at ASLOK for my files but his email keeps never answering me so he hasn't tried it yet unless he got files from someone else.

Right now I am printing on the generosity of my company, but when Neil and I were buying the PLA it was about $3 to $5 a piece to print them depending on how many jams I had etc.

We've moved up to a newer Ultimaker 3D Printer at work and it works MUCH better than the old Makerbot... The feet printing directly on the inserts is nice.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Do you have any rough idea how much the effective cost of one of those inserts might be?
Most of us don't have a 3D printer, but who knows how much it would cost to have them printed by some service company if the file would be provided.

von Marwitz
We also looked into having molds made and getting them extruded. The price per unit that way isn't too bad. The molds however, those are hella expensive. You would have to print > 10K copies of each mold to make it worth while. Again, cost prohibitive in the end. That was 18 - 24 months ago. Maybe it would be cheaper now? Maybe Xavier could use his Thai connections to find a cheaper price. -- jim

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Thanks for the feedback. So apparently it seems that both ways, 3D-printing and creating molds, seem to be of prohibitive cost.

Maybe this will change for 3D-Printing in a couple of years.

von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
The cost should include that of the PLA material (not sure how much this would be), but also of the use of a good 3D printer. I got one printed on one of the printers on campus, and from what I understand the process took something like 8 hours - so any company selling the service will factor this into the price; and, if you want multiple copies, it's unlikely that you'll be able to get a bulk discount.

Not sure what the economics of doing this with molds would be. 10k copies seems to be a huge number, but at 16 to a Raaaco assorter, getting enough to fit complete AFV/Gun OOBs would take, what, 100 copies? (vonM will tell us the exact number) So, not taking logistics into account, it would take 100-200 players pooling their needs... OK, not easy.

dlazov

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Don
Country
llUnited States
Those do look great, but I’d draw the line with the ocd insanity and I just use cheap good old planos and toss em into big boxes. Both are better systems that Bobs big freezer bag of counters, although his does take up much less space...

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I have 1 full RAACO set and was going to use envelopes for the AFV's/Guns but now that I have found this I might just purchase one of these and do the whole set in RAACO's

sdennis

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The cost should include that of the PLA material (not sure how much this would be), but also of the use of a good 3D printer. I got one printed on one of the printers on campus, and from what I understand the process took something like 8 hours - so any company selling the service will factor this into the price; and, if you want multiple copies, it's unlikely that you'll be able to get a bulk discount.
Right now I can print 6 of them in one job in about 8 hours. Like I said the new Ultimaker printer is good.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Right now I can print 6 of them in one job in about 8 hours. Like I said the new Ultimaker printer is good.
That's nice - how much do these printers cost? (I suppose they're mainly intended for professional use)

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Well, for 3 Handyboxes with 4 Assorters of 16 inserts each, you would need 192 altogether. That would keep you printing for 32 days at 8 hours each.

I reckon this means you have to give it a couple of more years before one can seriously consider such options. When 3D printing has become more common such as the normal (paper) copyshops today, then we will be talking business at acceptable prices.

von Marwitz

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Well, for 3 Handyboxes with 4 Assorters of 16 inserts each, you would need 192 altogether. That would keep you printing for 32 days at 8 hours each.

I reckon this means you have to give it a couple of more years before one can seriously consider such options. When 3D printing has become more common such as the normal (paper) copyshops today, then we will be talking business at acceptable prices.

von Marwitz
And when people have 30+ handy boxes it takes even longer.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I think the design is mostly useful to people who want their 5/8'' counters organised, but also want to save space. Anybody with 30+ handy boxes is way past that :)

Sully

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Pleva looked into getting them printed en masse and I think found it cost prohibitive.
JR was looking to try and asked at ASLOK for my files but his email keeps never answering me so he hasn't tried it yet unless he got files from someone else.
Which JR is that?

Steven Pleva

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I only wish I was on vacation, I'm just working out of Portland Oregon for two weeks.

Right now I am printing on the generosity of my company, but when Neil and I were buying the PLA it was about $3 to $5 a piece to print them depending on how many jams I had etc.

We've moved up to a newer Ultimaker 3D Printer at work and it works MUCH better than the old Makerbot... The feet printing directly on the inserts is nice.
I looked into having them molded, but the cost to make the die was in the $5-10k range (depending on how fancy and whether you could use a standard bottom). The cost to crank out the units was pretty cheap. To make all the economics work out it seemed like you would have to play in the 10,000 unit range. I didn't want them bad enough to bother with all that effort. I may go to Olli's method of storing them on edge in A73s or A75s using cardboard dividers. Most likely, I won't do anything because I am lazy...
Steve

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
No a RAACO guy, but why not create one set of all the different types, use them to create silicone molds and then cast what you need in resin?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
No a RAACO guy, but why not create one set of all the different types, use them to create silicone molds and then cast what you need in resin?
Got a contact? I need about 50. I am sure most people need around 50 - 75. It comes down to cost per unit. -- jim

xenovin

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Vincent
Country
llUnited States
I don’t remember the exact number but the lifespan of a silicone mold is about 50 pulls. Probably cheaper to sell folks the molds and let them mix their own resin for casting.

Got a contact? I need about 50. I am sure most people need around 50 - 75. It comes down to cost per unit. -- jim