Resource icon

Raaco Storage Trays -- Original by Steve Dennis, modified by Dennis Malmström 2023-10-12

No permission to download

dojimaster

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone printed with these? Can you estimate the cost per each tray?

dojimaster

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
Are you printing them yourself? Using a service? — jim
not sure yet… trying to figure out if it’s more cost effective to buy a 3D printer or outsource.

Do you know of a good third party printer service?

Michael R

Minor Hero
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
This is a web site I used once in 2016. At that time, a request would be matched with a nearby person who was providing the 3d printing service. The site has changed look since then, so I do not know if it still works that way.

https://www.hubs.com

cathmor01

Recruit
Reaction score
First name
Bryan
Country
llUnited States
Has anyone printed with these? Can you estimate the cost per each tray?
I own my own low-end printer and have a hybrid storage system that only uses these for AFVs and Guns. I use 84 of the 4x6's and would estimate that the PLA plastic filament will cost approximately $.75 per tray, less if you use cheaper filament or buy multiple spools to drive down pricing.

I use a pretty simple low-end printer that works perfectly well for these trays (the Monoprice mini V2 - it doesn't do large or detailed prints like RPG minis). I bought it for $199, though you might find it cheaper.

So approximately (199/84)+.75= $3.12 per tray.

And you still own the printer and will enjoy finding other things to 3d print.

Good luck
Bryan

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
I own my own low-end printer and have a hybrid storage system that only uses these for AFVs and Guns. I use 84 of the 4x6's and would estimate that the PLA plastic filament will cost approximately $.75 per tray, less if you use cheaper filament or buy multiple spools to drive down pricing.

I use a pretty simple low-end printer that works perfectly well for these trays (the Monoprice mini V2 - it doesn't do large or detailed prints like RPG minis). I bought it for $199, though you might find it cheaper.

So approximately (199/84)+.75= $3.12 per tray.

And you still own the printer and will enjoy finding other things to 3d print.

Good luck
Bryan
I think your filament price is pretty close to my experience. The thing you didn't mention is the time it takes to print. Each tray takes about 2 hours to print. The actual time is hard to say and greatly depends on your printer. If you're willing to buy a high end Bambu labs printer, you can spend upwards of $1500 but print each tray in under 20 minutes. The Bambu printer will also just work right out of the box. A Prusa printer is probably next on the list. Depending on model, you can pay between $500 - $1000 for one of theirs. It too, will just work out of the box but it won't print nearly as fast as the Bambu. You're probably in the 1 - 2 hours per tray. You can buy a Creality printer in the $200 - $500 range (which is what I have). These usually require some fiddling around to make them print clean and you can expect prints to be finished in the 2 hour range.

If you want the mac-daddy and are willing to put it together to sort things out, a Voron 2.4 will print around the same speed as a Bambu and generally has a much bigger build volume. The Vorons are an open source plan meaning you can source all the parts yourself or buy a kit with all the parts in it. Then you have to put it all together yourself. A kit will run you upwards of $1500. Because of the build volume size, you could print multiple trays at a time at around 15 - 20 minutes per tray on the build plate.

If money is no object, I would buy a Bambu. If I wanted something to "just work", I would buy a Prusa. If I wanted to learn how it works and to tinker to make it better, I would buy a Creality. I would not recommend a Voron to a beginner unless I was looking to pick up one myself from that person when they gave up. They are not for the inexperienced or the faint of heart IMO.

I personally spent months printing enough trays to fill my Raaco box. I little time here, a little time there. I don't like leaving my printer unattended when I am printing since high temps and melting plastic have the potential--however small--of going catastrophically bad. -- jim

Trainspotter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I personally spent months printing enough trays to fill my Raaco box. I little time here, a little time there. I don't like leaving my printer unattended when I am printing since high temps and melting plastic have the potential--however small--of going catastrophically bad. -- jim
Thanks for your reply! Can you post any pics of your printed stuff?

fenyan

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a web site I used once in 2016. At that time, a request would be matched with a nearby person who was providing the 3d printing service. The site has changed look since then, so I do not know if it still works that way.

https://www.hubs.com
I have used them just over a year ago. They still work that way. If you buy in bulk (somewhere around 20-30 or more trays) you can get the price down per tray. But knowing what I know now, I would've bought a 3-D printer.

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I bought an Anycubic Kobra 2 Pro to print my trays. I print the trays Jim Bishop (Sparafucil3) recommends and with the Kobra 2 Pro a tray takes 40-50 minutes. I figured out early on that you don't know how many trays you need for each nationality as it depended on how you will organize and how many counters from various modules you plan to organize. So, I print "just-in-time" printing a tray as I realize I will need it. The Kobra 2 Pro is going for $279 right now, so it is not that expensive of a printer. I'm doing trays in nationality colors. Each colored roll is costing $19.99 from Amazon and is more than enough to cover my needs.

dojimaster

Reaction score
First name
Jeff
Country
llUnited States
I bought an Anycubic Kobra 2 Pro to print my trays. I print the trays Jim Bishop (Sparafucil3) recommends and with the Kobra 2 Pro a tray takes 40-50 minutes. I figured out early on that you don't know how many trays you need for each nationality as it depended on how you will organize and how many counters from various modules you plan to organize. So, I print "just-in-time" printing a tray as I realize I will need it. The Kobra 2 Pro is going for $279 right now, so it is not that expensive of a printer. I'm doing trays in nationality colors. Each colored roll is costing $19.99 from Amazon and is more than enough to cover my needs.
What bed size is needed for these trays?

do you have to buy filament from them or can you order elsewhere?

Error-removed

Last edited:

Trainspotter

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I'm very interested in this topic as I like to print boxes for my drillbits, screws and my ASL counters,
What filament does the job?
What are your experiences?

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States

Error-removed
I print with a Creality Ender 5. The print bed is 350 X 350. I use Hatchbox filament from Amazon. I have used other makers, but I like the Hatchbox the best. I prefer PLA as it is easiest to work with. Leaving PLA in the sun can cause it to go soft which would be really bad for the counters. My kit sits inside but I would not leave it outside in direct sun light for long. -- jim

Blackcloud6

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

Error-removed
I'm not sure what mean by "bed size." Do you mean the platform the item is printed on?

As to the plastic filament, no you do not have to use Anycubic's filament. I ordered mine from Amazon.

olli

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I have to admit , now that I have seen the trays that Martin has printed and installed some of his counters I would of used a 3D printer myself , but that tech was not around when I started using RAACO, and no way will I replace what I have now. However the green eyed monster is lurking, just not got the finance at the moment to change.

Sparafucil3

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Jim
Country
llUnited States
Sorry - yes what size build plate for the larger footprint 5/8” counter trays you designed, Jim?
All of my trays are printed on a Creality Ender 5 Pro. The build plate is 350mm X 350mm. The inserts are much smaller than that. -- jim