R. Lee Ermey Vs. Dale Dye

GhostSoldier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
R. Lee rules.

I don't know who's been in the best movies. But I love that DI in FMJ. I could watch the first part of that movie over and over and over and over................................................................... GS.

Tom DeFranco

Reaction score
Re: R. Lee rules.

Originally posted by GhostSoldier
I don't know who's been in the best movies. But I love that DI in FMJ. I could watch the first part of that movie over and over and over and over................................................................... GS.
I liked R Lee even better in The Boys in Company C. There is at least a sympathetic treatment to his DI character. Dale is also good. I know, though, from a friend who was a French extra in "Last of the Mohicans" who said that Dye is not too sharp at 18th Century linear warfare.

hogdriver

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
R. Lee Ermey hands down. He is very genuine, very "in-your-face", it seems as if it is not scripted (and indeed may not be for the most part). When you watch him, you almost get down and "gimme twenty"

Senior Drill

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Apples and Oranges. Strictly in the context of Military or War movies.

Dye is officer, Ermey is NCO. Officers plan and direct, NCO's make it happen.

The Hollywood roles that they have portrayed on film and the decision making positions they held/have, show the different strata of the two.

Dye consults on strategy, composition and equipment of units in war movies. His roles in films are of Colonels and Generals, almost always the even tempered and thoughtful character (though not alway the correct one).

Ermey's forte is the hands on - the ground pounder. He advises on the individual, the tactical and the attitudes of the soldier. His military roles in movies are almost entirely as Gunnery Sergeant or Command Sergeant Majors. The few roles Ermey has done as an officer are the stereotypical hard ass, border psycho.

Outside the military genre, they both have shown acting skill and the lack of range of character development in movie roles as cops, business men and corporate officers.

But, hey, got to give both of them credit for getting contracts that gave them income producing roles in other movies for their work on war movies.

GhostSoldier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Favorite R. Lee (para)qoutes (censored). From FMJ.

1) You climb obstacles like old people boink!

2) I bet if there was a piece of so-and-so up there, you could climb that obstacle!

3) You better un-blank yourself, Pvt. Pyle!

4) Marines are not allowed to die without permission.

5) You're so ugly, you could be a modern-art masterpiece!

6) Outstanding! Pvt. Pyle you are born-again hard!

Afterthought: Everybody needs a little R. Lee in their lives. Someone to light a fire under your ass, and motivate you. GS.

Reaction score
I like them both, but for different reasons. R. Lee Ermey for his "Gunny" portrayals and Dale Dye more for his behind the scenes prepairation of actors to act like soldiers. The "making of" documentaries for "Saving Private Ryan" and "Band of Brothers" are very interesting. I also liked his performance as Col. Sink in "BOB". Truth is, if either of these former professionals soldiers has a hand in a war movie its probably going to be pretty good.

Reiryc

Reaction score
Originally posted by Lance Williams
Who's been in the best war movies.......
I would rate them both as a win win for us viewers.

I like them both for what they bring to the movies and wouldn't rate one as being better then the other at what he brings.

Reaction score
Last of the Mohicans

Dye may have had some problems with 18th Century tactics, but he must have got them right at some point because the end result on film was very realistic. The only other film that approaches it in period realism is "The Patriot".

Hunter

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
If I have to pick the better of the two, I have to go with R.Lee. I know Dye from my days in the Corps.

Dye started out as a enlisted Marine and spent most of his time as a 4331 ( journalist ) You can read about some of his adventures in the book DISPATCHES. One of the pictures I remember seeing is one of him with daisys in his helmet and sitting in a kiddie car amid the rubble in Hue City in 1968.

He was selected to become a Warrant Officer later and spent the next years as the OIC of several PAO offices at MCAS Kaneohe, where he was documented the Marine operations during EAGLE PULL in 1975. He later was the OIC at MCAS Cherry Point. He soon was promoted to the regular officer ranks and was the PAO in Beirut.
When he was recalled from Beirut, he retired from active duty as a Captain. He soon started a consulting company and started to lend his expetise to the movies. One of the first movies he worked on was a forgetable Sci Fi remake of a old 1950 dog called Invaders from Mars. He later worked on Platoon, Outbreak, and Ryan. You can see Dale as the company commander in Platoon and as the Colonel that puts Sutherland under arrest at the end of Outbreak.

As an actor, Dye doesn't hold a candle to R.Lee, but as a consultant that makes sure the producer gets it right, there's none better.

Lloyd Cole
S/Sgt, USMC
73-86

SGT Long

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I didnt know that,That is one hell of a stretch.

I just noticed not too long ago that R. Lee Ermey had a cameo in Apocolypse now. He's the helo pilot when they strafe the VC village. They added a better shot of him in the redux version but if you have the original on VHS like I do you can tell it's him from the voice even if his face is obscured through the plexiglass.

BarcelonaBlom

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Originally posted by SGT Long
I didnt know that,That is one hell of a stretch.

I just noticed not too long ago that R. Lee Ermey had a cameo in Apocolypse now. He's the helo pilot when they strafe the VC village. They added a better shot of him in the redux version but if you have the original on VHS like I do you can tell it's him from the voice even if his face is obscured through the plexiglass.
Yeah it was him, I read an article in an American Legion. He was a bar owner in the Phillippinnes for a while and he heard there was a Vietnam movie going on and he signed up as an extra.

eagle101

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
ermy

Hands dow Ermey is just the Marine logo. I have seen Full Metal Jacket (in fact I own it on DVD), and I have seen firebase Gloria. Ermey is just a Kick @&& soldier on the screen.

Reaction score
Re: ermy

Originally posted by panzerboy
Hands dow Ermey is just the Marine logo. I have seen Full Metal Jacket (in fact I own it on DVD), and I have seen firebase Gloria. Ermey is just a Kick @&& soldier on the screen.
I just hope he hasn't gone too far with his schtick on these new Dick's Sporting Goods ads.

eagle101

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States

so do I, He needs to just stick to military topics.

The History Channel Mail Call is great.:toast: :toast: :horse: :) :)

GhostSoldier

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Schtickk?!? Your days of finger-banging Mary Jane Rottencrotch through her white, cotton panties are OV-ER!!! I bet your the kind of person who'd fuck someone in the ass, and not even have the common courtesy to give a reach-around!!! I'm on to you!!!