R.I.P. Ian Daglish

trevpr1

ASL Player
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am sorry to announce that my friend, Ian Daglish, ASL player, scenario designer and author has died from injuries he suffered when his light plane crashed on Salford, near Manchester on Friday. Ian was a qualified pilot.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-manchester-14357758

My last contact with Ian was by email and 'phone through playtesting some of his Sealion scenarios. They seemed a lot of fun.

The last time I played Ian, we drank bourbon while he beat the pants off me in SV14 "Day At Night" from the Swedish pack at a recent Intensive Fire event. He set up an inspired human wave, which ran right across an MMG firelane. Six squads and a leader set out, and the one leader and a surviving squad took my Finnish AT gun out, so allowing exit of the required VP.

I have his books, all signed. I shall miss him.

Tom Morin

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is terrible news. Ian will certainly be missed. May God bless him and his family.

<sigh>

Tom

Brien Martin

Panthera oncia
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
My condolences to Ian's family and those here in the ASL Community who knew him. I had the pleasure of corresponding with him a few times over the years, and found Ian to be a nice guy and keen ASL mind.

He will be missed by all of us, some far more than others.

Brien

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ian offered me a lift twice from Berserk/Heroes (Blackpool to Manchester airport), which I gratefully accepted as public transport on a Sunday afternoon in this part of the UK is less than impressive.

I thoroughly enjoyed those few hours spent together talking ASL, life and history.

Rest in peace Ian.

Our ASL community has lost a true gentleman.

Ray Woloszyn

"Fire and Movement"
Reaction score
First name
Ray
Country
llUnited States
I first met Ian at the "Bulge" rencontre in La Gleize, Belgium in 1994 where we roomed in the same cottage. Later on at some of the GB ASL venues we exchange pleasantries and memories. Wow, quite shocking news and thanks, Trevor, for keeping us posted. Just played one of his scenarios last week and realized he was not a bad scenario designer as well as an accomplished author.

2 Half-Squads

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A terrible shock, indeed, made more so because Dave and I interviewed Ian on Thursday night for an upcoming show. This was our first personal interaction with him and we remarked at the end of the recording how warm and interesting he was. A real gentleman. We were already making plans for several followup interviews. And now...

Our hearts go out to his family and friends. This is an awful loss for all.

Chas

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is truly shocking and sad news. Ian and I periodically discussed historical matters and such. He will be sorely missed by the ASL community.

Calimero

a.k.a "jp"
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I heard the news from the French forum and immediately came here. This is really a shock. I did not know him (apart from through his work on ASL) but my deepest feelings go to his family and all the ASL friends who read me.

jp

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I too would like to express condolences to his family and friends. I met Ian many years ago at Berserk! A fine chap.

daveramsey

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Dave
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ian was the very definition of a scholar and a gentleman. He would happily discuss his projects, interspersed with fascinating stories that only a researcher and historian like he could unearth. I enjoyed our chats at every tournament we met at and his loss will be felt at every future event I'll be at.

We've lost a talented designer, author and good friend.

RIP, Ian.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I am shocked and saddened by this news. Ian was a person I would make an effort to play and if not play at least chat to at the. Convention. A very nice guy whom you could speak to easily. My last conversation with him was about how his daughters demanded collating from school. They have lost their father.
Sorry I'm tearing up at this news.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I met him last summer in Normandy, which I considered a great treat. What a shock. Aside from the obvious loss to his family, he had so much more to contribute to the historical community to which he had already given so greatly to. He and his work have touched a lot of people.

Kevin Kenneally

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ian will be missed.

He was such a wonderful man to chat with through the old ASLML and through emails about Operation Goodwood.

RIP

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
It is a small world. I have been reading the news about a plane crash in Manchester on the internet. It turns out the man who 'suffered 70% burns' was Ian. I am very sorry to hear of his death and send his friends and family my condolences.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
Incidentally, what was his fav charity, if he had one? Jim McLeod's was the American Tinnitus Association, and I try and remember to throw a couple of bucks their way each year in memory of him. If something suitable comes to mind in order to remember Ian by, I would love to be able to contribute.