Quiet here...

HMSWarspite

Reaction score
Country
ll
You could hear a pin drop. Of course SES could liven it up in a second with a couple of bones...:D

I know: quiz time. Winner sets next question. Anything vaguely relevant to this forum...

My question: 2 parter (answer to both needed)
What ship or ships mounted the largest calibre british breach loading rifle ever to go to sea.
Bonus credit: What ship or ships mounted the largest calibre british muzzleloading rifle ever to go to sea (careful).

PepsiCan

Reaction score
Country
ll
I think I know the first one, but not the second one.

So, I will refrain from posting in order not to give things away :devious:

Firestorm

Reaction score
The answer to the first question I think is the "Large Light Cruiser" HMS Furious but after trials it was found she could not handle the firing of her single 18 inch gun. So it was removed and Furious was converted into a carrier. The Monitors HMS Lord Clive and HMS General Wolfe also had single 18 inch guns installed in 1918.

The answer to the second question I think is the Victorian era Ironclad Battleship HMS Inflexible of 1876 which had four 16 inch muzzle loading guns.

HMSWarspite

Reaction score
Country
ll
The answer to the first question I think is the "Large Light Cruiser" HMS Furious but after trials it was found she could not handle the firing of her single 18 inch gun. So it was removed and Furious was converted into a carrier. The Monitors HMS Lord Clive and HMS General Wolfe also had single 18 inch guns installed in 1918.

The answer to the second question I think is the Victorian era Ironclad Battleship HMS Inflexible of 1876 which had four 16 inch muzzle loading guns.
Close but no cookie. Read the question.

mbv

Reaction score
Country
ll
Ahh, trick question, British guns, but could be on a foreign ship so my guess for the RML guns would be the Elswick 17.7" on the Italian battleships Duilio and Dandalo

For RBL I would have to stick with HMS Furious and the Monitors already mentioned at 18"

Yamato and Musashi had the largest guns at 18.1" but these were not British manufactured.

RCNVR

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Depends the RN ship to mount the largest MLR was the Inflexible Jackie Fisher commanded her at Alexandria I think. She was built to match the Italian classes Duilio and Italia which mounted 17.7 inch Armstrong guns (do they count as British???).

BLR hmm I would have said the Furious and the monitors as well.
I know the Germans talked about 20 inch and the IJN apparently tested one though it was not found after the war.

Hinchinbrooke

Reaction score
Country
ll
When you refer to 'calibre', do you mean the bore diameter of the the gun, or the length of the gun, with regard to its internal diameter?

HMSWarspite

Reaction score
Country
ll
Ahh, trick question, British guns, but could be on a foreign ship so my guess for the RML guns would be the Elswick 17.7" on the Italian battleships Duilio and Dandalo

For RBL I would have to stick with HMS Furious and the Monitors already mentioned at 18"

Yamato and Musashi had the largest guns at 18.1" but these were not British manufactured.
Correct. The trick is that the guns in question (Elswick 100ton MLR) were sold to Italy. My source says that, although Inflexible was built as a direct response to the ItN, the RN was limited to guns produced at the Woolwich arsenal, which meant they had to use 80ton 16". Thus the largest British MLR ever to go to sea is the 100ton 17.7", in the Duilo and Dandalo.

Yamato & Musashi's 18.1" are a complete red herring becasue they are neither British made or designed...

Your question

mbv

Reaction score
Country
ll
Having quaffed the winners extra rum ration here is the next question, probably an easy one for the knowledgeable members of this forum...................

In the last decade of the 19th century which British admiral was killed when his ship sank due to ramming by another Royal Navy ship ? Also, can you name the two technical innovations first seen on the type of ship that sank ?

Winner posts next question............

Firestorm

Reaction score
Having quaffed the winners extra rum ration here is the next question, probably an easy one for the knowledgeable members of this forum...................

In the last decade of the 19th century which British admiral was killed when his ship sank due to ramming by another Royal Navy ship ? Also, can you name the two technical innovations first seen on the type of ship that sank ?

Winner posts next question............
Your right it is an easy question. It was Vice Admiral Sir George Tryon on 22 June 1893 when his flagship HMS Victoria was rammed by the HMS Camperdown.

The Victoria class was the first to use triple expansion steam engines and to use a steam turbine to power a dynamo.

mbv

Reaction score
Country
ll
Way too easy and all correct :clap: Your go then Firestorm......

HMSWarspite

Reaction score
Country
ll
As an aside, the Jutland book 'Rules of the Game' contains an exhaustive (not to say over long) section on the event and the effect it may (or may not) have had on the RN at Jutland...

Firestorm

Reaction score
As an aside, the Jutland book 'Rules of the Game' contains an exhaustive (not to say over long) section on the event and the effect it may (or may not) have had on the RN at Jutland...
Yeah considering who else was onboard the HMS Victoria and almost drowned as a result of her ramming.

Now as for my questions it may also be easy to those here.

Which battleship was the only one ever to directly sink a submarine in war?

Bonus question: Who was the captian of that submarine and he was famous for what else in that war?

Last edited:

HMSWarspite

Reaction score
Country
ll
Would this be a Battle of May Island question? K22 and Inflexible? I am not sure that K22 was wholly sunk by Inflexible, which isn't a battleship. On the right lines?

Firestorm

Reaction score
Would this be a Battle of May Island question? K22 and Inflexible? I am not sure that K22 was wholly sunk by Inflexible, which isn't a battleship. On the right lines?
Nope that was an accident and K22 wasn't sunk just seriously damaged. With my question it was in combat.

Last edited:

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can you get the Bonus question?
I know this one :)

The U-boat's skipper was Otto Weddigen. He's the guy who sunk Aboukir, Cressy, and Hogue all in the same morning back in 1914.

BTW, didn't Tirpitz sink one of the X-craft subs sent against her?

Last edited:

Firestorm

Reaction score
I know this one :)

The U-boat's skipper was Otto Weddigen. He's the guy who sunk Aboukir, Cressy, and Hogue all in the same morning back in 1914.

BTW, didn't Tirpitz sink one of the X-craft subs sent against her?
Correct and yeah it is believed that X5 took a direct hit from a 4 inch gun on Tirpitz but it was never confirmed thus her fate was unclear. Besides I make a distinction between a regular sub and a midget sub.

Since Beercat got the orginal question right he will ask the next question.