Quiet here...

gascan

Reaction score
My first thought is the Alligator, from the American Civil War. The Turtle was the first American submarine, but never served in the US Navy. She was meant to counter Ironclads, but Hampton Roads was fought in March 1862 before she was launched in May 1862.

gascan

Reaction score
In late 1820, long before the Hunley sank the Housatonic, a submerged object somewhat larger than a sperm whale twice struck a vessel in the south pacific and sank it. The survivors resorted to cannibalism to survive the long journey home. What was the ship and what sank it?

Bontainer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
The whaler „Essex“ from Nantucket on the 20th November 1820, by a whale. This was the base for Melvilles Moby Dick.

gascan

Reaction score
Bontainer has it. The ship was the whaler Essex, and the "submerged object somewhat larger than a sperm whale" was, in fact, an unusually large sperm whale.

HReardon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I wonder if he really was an unusually large whale or if the sailors had to exaggerate in order to make themselves feel better over the loss of the ship. Again, my understanding from some TV show or another was that the Essex was in rather poor shape, suffering from dry rot and was therefore more vulnerable to the whale's attack.

In any event, the whale gets full points for cussedness. He hit the ship twice, and may even have knocked himself out. It is really no different than a rhino charging a Land Rover I suppose, but it still makes for a compelling story.

Bontainer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Sorry, have to pass this time, cant´t find anything worthwhile right now. If anyone does have something interesting, be my guest!

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sorry, have to pass this time, cant´t find anything worthwhile right now. If anyone does have something interesting, be my guest!
OK, I'll jump in because I've been itching to ask this question.

What's so special about the ship in the photo below?

HReardon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
First, her question is not posed as another riddle. That makes her pretty special to me.

Second, she used to be a rather prettier sightseeing boat.

I'm guessing, however, neither of these are what you are looking for or you would have hidden her number.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
First, her question is not posed as another riddle. That makes her pretty special to me.
Thanks. I can neither answer nor think up such things.

Second, she used to be a rather prettier sightseeing boat.

I'm guessing, however, neither of these are what you are looking for or you would have hidden her number.
Well, you're on the right track. But there's something rather unique about this particular vessel that makes her truly noteworthy. And because I took this question by default, I didn't feel right in stringing things out, so I left the hull number as hint.

Bill II

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
OK, I'll jump in because I've been itching to ask this question.

What's so special about the ship in the photo below?
Three stupid wild ass guesses...

It's the only navy ship conversion to keep its civilian name?

It was the 1st navy vessel designed to rival French ships in it ugliness?

You are related to its skipper P H Reid Jr?

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
She's listed on THE NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES, REF. NO. 84002951, still in use at WEST HAVERSTRAW, NY and her wooden hull still retains more than 90% of the original fabric.

COMMANDER has the distinction of being the last operating vessel that served in the U.S. Navy in World War I, and joins the battleship TEXAS and the battlecruiser [sic!] OLYMPIC, as the only remaining ships from that era. She displays the World War I Victory Medal as a token of her service.
http://www.commanderboat.com/

Hauling history
A true celebrity of U.S. naval history was in Greenport for an overhaul this week. She's the Commander, built in 1910 and used by the Navy during World War I in New York Harbor. Of all the vessels ever commissioned as a U.S. Naval ship, the Commanders is the oldest in continuous service. Now an excursion boat on the Hudson River, the Commander was hauled at Greenport Yacht and Shipbuilding for some plank and timber replacements in preparation for Coast Guard inspection.
http://www.timesreview.com/_st_html/st02-01-01/frontpage.htm

Last edited:

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
She's listed on THE NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES, REF. NO. 84002951, still in use at WEST HAVERSTRAW, NY and her wooden hull still retains more than 90% of the original fabric.
Yup, and besides all that, she's the only USN WW1 ship still moving under her own power for the purpose for which was was originally built (which wasn't being a warship :p).

Pretty interesting, eh?

I know there are a few more self-mobile WW1 warships scattered around the world, but I can't think of any that are still doing their original jobs. Perhaps that old German gunboat from Lake Tangyanika was originally a ferry, but I don't think so. Anybody know any others?

Anyway, a quick question cheaply bought by me, so I just as quickly pass the baton to TBR.

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I was constructed as a warship but captured by the enemy during construction.

After the war a private citizen began to turn me into something some of my sisters masqueraded as during the war.

Like several of my sisters I was aquired by a government agency and classified the same as them even though I served a different purpose due to the above mentioned modification.

Yang

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Can only throw some guesses in, maybe the survey ships Beautemps Beaupre or her sister La Perourse, laid down as Sans Souci and Sans Peur, captured by the Germans and commisioned as gunboats SG1 and SG4. After the war they were taken over by France and converted to their later role.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Can only throw some guesses in
Yeah, I've been digging through possibilities, too. The number of ships captured during construction isn't that great, even going back to sailing days. So far I haven't found anything that fits all the criteria. This is a tough question ;).

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I was constructed as a warship but captured by the enemy during construction.

After the war a private citizen began to turn me into something some of my sisters masqueraded as during the war.

Like several of my sisters I was aquired by a government agency and classified the same as them even though I served a different purpose due to the above mentioned modification.

New hints

I was transferred to my country's navy after a short service in said agency to do for this navy what I did for the agency.

A short time later I got a (far) bigger sister which stole the limelight and parts of my mission from me.

I still remained my navy's longest serving unit until being sold off, though aforesaid "bigger sister" is due to surpass my length of service shortly.

Last edited:

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
New hints

My class was the first of its type to get a scientifically designed and thouroughly tested hull.

We constituted one of the largest if not the largest shipbuilding series.

Some of my sisters were built in a neutral country without the authorities in this country realising that the yards were building warships.