Quiet here...

Burninator

Reaction score
I guess I riddle a ship now?

I once was lost, but now am found,

The pride of a nation, not a soul survived,

One of my sisters also rests under the sea.

What ship am I?

Kadett

Tea Boy on the Mikasa
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I guess I riddle a ship now?

I once was lost, but now am found,

The pride of a nation, not a soul survived,

One of my sisters also rests under the sea.

What ship am I?

Just a quick guess :D Possibly the light cruiser HMAS Sydney, lost in 1941 off of western Australia with all hands. Wreck only located in 2008. Sister ship would be HMAS Perth, lost in the Battle of Sunda Strait in early 1942.

Kadett

Tea Boy on the Mikasa
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
OK, well I guess I'm tagged for this one. I'm not good at riddles so if this is too easy, please excuse me.

I am named for an ancient province of my country, possibly as ancient as my people themselves.

Other navies feared my sister and I, based on paper not action.

My last mission was in vain, but maybe that was the point for it clearly showed my country's strategy was truly blowing to a new wind.

Arguably my loss and that of my sister before me marked the end of an era.

What ship am I

Last edited:

kotori87

Reaction score
yay! Continuing on that note, try this one:

This warship was reconstructed from a rusted wreck.

She was refit with revolutionary propulsion and weaponry

Her famous first mission was a year-long humanitarian cruise of unprecedented distance, lasting from October 1974 to March 1975

Alas, her first captain died on the return journey

The story of this warship's great odyssey was translated into English, where it proved so popular it is still considered a landmark today.

kotori87

Reaction score
A few more hints:

In the second war this ship participated in, she was hijacked by her original crew to fight against an enemy intent on destroying the universe

A movie about this ship's second great adventure out-competed the original Star Wars in the Japanese box office

This ship will probably never appear in a SES naval game, no matter what historical time periods they cover

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This should be the Spacebattleship Yamato
ARRGH!! And I wasted 1/2 hour looking up real disasters of 1974. :bite: Oh well, at least I learned a fair amount of the Turkish intervention on Cyprus, which makes me worry about PepsiCan living there now.....

Bontainer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Ok, here we go:

My home is a port where many of my countrymen left for the New World.

My name contains an emperor and a farmer.

My type is related to Black Jack.

Once I was the pinnacle of warship development, but I never fired a shot in anger.

Have fun!

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
I'm not living "across the bay" anymore but IIRC I had more than 1 1/2 years of training in Bremerhavens MOS (Marineoperationsschule).

I'll try to conform to Coypus new "poetic" form of question, starting with three hints:

I was the first of my kind in my Navy though not in my nations service.

I was to be constructed in haste to counter revolutionary type of weapon but my construction took so long a historic battle had been fought before I was launched.

I was never commiisioned or officially named, my nickname just "crept" into official correspondnece.

Zakalwe

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
OT:

btw. I recall "Wilhelm Bauer" often manouevering here in the Bay as her base was here in Eckernförde when I was a boy.

She looked quite different than a XXI Boat as the conning tower was altered and she had a orange stripe around it.

Last edited:

Bontainer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
My Granduncle was from Bremerhaven and I remember visiting him when the United States made her last visit to Europe in the 60ies. Later I worked for a company based in Bremerhaven and always used the time there to visit the Schiffahrtsmuseum and the Wilhelm Bauer.

Compared to the Type VII in Laboe she´s a hodgepodge of WWII technology and changes made in the 60ies, but it still is a fascinating visit nonetheless.

To anyone visiting Bremehaven I really recommend the museum and the Wilhelm Bauer, especially the Claus Bergen Originals are worth viewing.