Quiet here...

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Okay day three clue.

Mine is a name steadfast and true though many ships have shared it none were christened after me

My ship was the last of a long line and apart from her sister was different than all, a flaw in design sealed my crewmates cruel fate.

A relic from my ship and a relic of my glory still survive, entwined forever to tell my story

gascan

Reaction score
It's not a ship, its a person. Notice he says "my ship" and "my crew mates," then refers to the ship as "her" instead of "I" as though she was separate from what he is talking about.

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Okay day four clue four.

Mine is a name steadfast and true though many ships have shared it none were christened after me

My ship was the last of a long line and apart from her sister was different than all, a flaw in design sealed my crewmates cruel fate.

A relic from my ship and a relic of my glory still survive, entwined forever to tell my story

One of four on this day and one of two that seen the next

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Day five clue five

I now rest in England with one other, one rests at sea, the fourth in a foriegn shore.

Last edited:

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Okay day six, clue six. running out of them and this one I definately thought would be got by now.

I now rest in England with one other, one rests at sea, the fourth in a foriegn shore.

The name of my ship was changed early in its life to the name I won my fame on

Last edited:

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Okay day seven, time to fill in blanks

Mine is a name steadfast and true though many Of Her/His Majesties Ships have shared it, none were christened after me

I now rest in England with one other, one rests at sea, the fourth in Sweden

Last edited:

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was never good at classic riddles. Gollum would have eaten me for sure :laugh: I've been stumped on this one from the get-go. Great question. I can get a "profile" of the suspect, but I can't find anybody in my database to match.

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Day eight and I hope I have my facts right now :D

Mine is a name steadfast and true though many Of Her/His Majesties Ships have shared it, none were christened after me

A relic from my ship and a relic of my glory still survive, at the Imperial War Museum to tell my story

gascan

Reaction score
I keep thinking it's one of the Hood family from the 1700's, but the clues don't seem to fully match.

jdkbph

Reaction score
Country
llYugoslavia
Yeah, some of the clues seem to point to Sir Horace Hood, while others might relate to Cowper Coles of HMS Captain fame (infamy?).

JD

cj95

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Decoding the riddle...I hope....

(A Bold name...Inflexible...Indefatigable....perhaps)

(Apparently a battlecruiser.....also member of two ship class)

A relic from my ship and a relic of my glory still survive, at the Imperial War Museum to tell my story

(something salvaged from wreck....not helpful...the war musuem is a big place ...lol)

(Went into battle with four ships....two got destroyed?)

(Little confusing...I cant decide if this ship was lost or not)

(Self evident.....but not a lot of references on name changes I can find...)

Part of me want to say Lutzow, but I cannot fit that in with the design flaw.....Another part wants to say Invincible, but again I dont get the Sweden references and that was a 3 ship class.

I dunno...Im guessing Invincible although I dont htink its right.

gascan

Reaction score
I notice distinctly separate uses of "I" and "my ship," which makes me think that it is a person rather than a ship. Knowing what his ship was would make finding the person a lot easier, though.

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Day nine and another blank is revealed

A 5.5" gun from my ship and a relic of my glory still survive, at the Imperial War Museum to tell my story

Last edited:

Burninator

Reaction score
I know the answer, but I googled.... does it count?

If so, Hms Chester, built/requisitioned as Lambros Katsonis. One of her 5.5's is in the Imperial war museum, the one manned by John Cornwell, Victoria's Cross winner

MajorDamage

Reaction score
Country
ll
I came to the same conclusion too, by googling, but if so the first clue seems to be wrong. Confusion between Cornwell and Cornwall? Also, if Jack Cornwell is the answer then the clues seem to be so obscure and contrived as to be unguessable to be honest.

Bullethead

Storm Eagle Studios
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I came to the same conclusion too, by googling, but if so the first clue seems to be wrong. Confusion between Cornwell and Cornwall? Also, if Jack Cornwell is the answer then the clues seem to be so obscure and contrived as to be unguessable to be honest.
Well, there were 4 HMS Chesters, and the Jutland one was the last. But it says "my" name as if this clue was about a person.

I suppose you could argue that Chester was the last of the "Town" CLs of the old type, although there were many later CLs and CAs named after towns, some even "C" cruisers of later WW1. She did have 1 sister, and was different from the others in being built for a foreign country (although arguably Melbourne, Sydney, and Adelaide also qualify there. She did, however, have different guns from all the others. She also had a name change, from the original Lambros Katsonis.

It's widely reported that her gunshields were too short, which could be a design flaw, but photos taken right after the battle show them to be pretty much full-length (see attachment). I don't think that would have made much difference. And nobody mentions that several other Brit CLs, with definite full-size shields, also took appalling guncrew casualties at Jutland. Shields just didn't do much, regardless of size.

"One of 4 this day and 2 to see the next" and "2 in England, 1 at sea, 1 in Sweden". I have no idea how this fits in. There were 4 boys on Chester's casualty list: Robert John Ashton, Albert Ernest Chowns, John Travers Cornwell, and Reginald Afred Raven. But I think all 4 of them actually died, because their names are all on memorials, and Cornwell didn't see the next day, I don't think. But Cornwell's gun and VC both are in the IMW--I've seen them.

But I'd have to agree, the guy in question is Cornwell, and the ship is Chester. That's the best fit I can think of.

Last edited:

Iron Duke

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
"2 in England, 1 at sea, 1 in Sweden."

I believe this refers to the four V.C. winners at the Battle of Jutland.

Two are buried in England, one in Sweden and one rests at sea.

Last edited:

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
I know the answer, but I googled.... does it count?
If so, Hms Chester, built/requisitioned as Lambros Katsonis. One of her 5.5's is in the Imperial war museum, the one manned by John Cornwell, Victoria's Cross winner
Cornwell is the correct answer

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
My apologies that clue was a bit contrived I was going to go with sounds like the appelation but I thought it would be obvious I did not give it too much thought at the time but you are right. I thought the Steadfast and True a dead giveaway.

The other clues, last of the WWI era town types, Gun shields, The crew losing limbs below the knee The VC and Gun being in the same place Four VC's won in Jutland two surviving to the next day, one being buried at sea the other being buried in Sweden I thought were easy to get