Quiet here...

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Okay day five. So clue five. The question is in the spirit of Warspites first post no trick question just a ship

I was sunk in the same channel as a predecessor was taken as a prize, across the sound lies the wreck that my namesake once battled.

My conqueror eventually recieved a name, my predecessor did not always share my name .

A captain who briefly commanded me became a famous Admiral. The Captain who took my predecessor won eternal fame at captain though his deeds at flag rank are now forgotten.

A successor of my type is named after the shore off which I lie, The taker of my predecessor was born upon the opposite shore

I lost a sister in a far away ocean. The ship that took my predecessor was taken herself across the ocean.

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Okay day six, thought someone would get this by now.

I was sunk in the same channel as a predecessor was taken as a prize, across the sound lies the wreck that my namesake once battled.

My conqueror eventually recieved a name, my predecessor did not always share my name .

A captain who briefly commanded me became a famous Admiral. The Captain who took my predecessor won eternal fame at captain though his deeds at flag rank are now forgotten.

A successor of my type is named after the shore off which I lie, The taker of my predecessor was born upon the opposite shore

I lost a sister in a far away ocean. The ship that took my predecessor was taken herself across the ocean.

I named my class though was obsolete when I met my fate. My conquerer was the penultimate of its class.

Last edited:

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Okay Day seven, can't think of any more clues that will not immediately give the game away so I will fill in a few blanks

My conqueror eventually became the Victor Reveille, my predecessor was called Resolution before she was called my name.

A captain who briefly commanded me was John Jellicoe. The Captain who took my predecessor won eternal fame at captain though his deeds at flag rank are now forgotten.

A successor of my type is named after the shore off which I lie, The taker of my predecessor was born in Scotland

I lost a sister in the Pacific. The ship that took my predecessor was taken herself across the Atlantic

I named my class though was obsolete when I met my fate. My conquerer was the penultimate of its class.

gascan

Reaction score
I don't have much information,since Wikipedia is missing articles on most of the ships named Drake and I don't have much of a library to speak of.

I think it's Armored Cruiser HMS Drake, briefly commanded by John Jellicoe. She was torpedoed in Rathlin Sound by U-79, which served in the French navy after the war until 1933. Her sister Good Hope was lost in action against Scharnhorst and Gneisenau.

The predecessor was originally a civilian ship called Resolution before being inducted into the navy and was taken by John Paul Jones in the sloop Ranger.

Last edited:

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
I don't have much information,since Wikipedia is missing articles on most of the ships named Drake and I don't have much of a library to speak of.

I think it's Armored Cruiser HMS Drake.

The predecessor was taken by John Paul Jones in the sloop Ranger near Ireland.
You are correct well done

HMS Drake was sunk in the North Channel where a previous HMS Drake was taken as a prize, across Rathlin Sound the wreck of the Girona lies which Sir Francis Drake battled against as part of the Spainish Armada

U79 eventually became the Victor Reveille, my predecessor was called Resolution before she was called Drake.

A captain who briefly commanded me was John Jellicoe. John Paul Jones who took my predecessor won eternal fame at captain though his deeds at Rear Admiral in the Russian Navy are now forgotten

HMS Antrim an Armoured Cruiser is named after County Antrim in Ireland the shore off which I lie, The taker of my predecessor the Drake , John Paul Jones was born in Scotland

I lost a sister HMS Good Hope in the Pacific. The USS Ranger that took my predecessor was taken herself across the Atlantic in Charleston

I named my class though was obsolete when I met my fate. My conquerer was the penultimate of the U71 class

Last edited:

gascan

Reaction score
I like how you kept giving hints every day. I was finally able to get it once I had a name to work with, and everything started to fall in place with your earlier hints. I'll have a new trivia question for everyone tomorrow.

gascan

Reaction score
This battleship fought in three major battles against the French then in one major battle against the Germans. She was a major step forward in ship design and the successor to several revolutionary ships. She ended her days as a prison ship. What is the name of this ship?

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Sounds like the Bellerophon but that would be her and the later incarnation not the one ship :hmmm:

gascan

Reaction score
I figured this one wouldn't take too long. Coypus is correct: the answer is HMS Bellerophon. The first Bellerophon fought against the French in the Glorious First of June, the Battle of the Nile, and the Battle of Trafalgar, and ended her days as the prison ship Captivity. Another Bellerophon was a successor to HMS Warrior, but also introduced some major improvements such as a double bottom and balanced rudder, among other things. The last Bellerophon completed under that name made minor fixes to the design of Dreadnought, and fought in Jutland against the Germans.

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
The book on the Bellerophon Billy Ruffian and the downfall of Napoleon is not a bad read

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Okay day one, clue one six to beat

Mine is a name steadfast and true though many ships have shared it none were christened after me

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Okay day two, clue two

Mine is a name steadfast and true though many ships have shared it none were christened after me

My ship was the last of a long line and apart from her sister was different than all, a flaw in design sealed my crewmates cruel fate.

Last edited:

ring_wraith

Reaction score
Okay, gonna guess HMS Hood. Last of the battlecruisers. Fatal flaw in the armor arrangement which allowed the magazine to be penetrated. There were ships named Hood before this last BC, but there hasn't been a ship of that name since.

Coypus

Reaction score
Country
ll
Okay, gonna guess HMS Hood. Last of the battlecruisers. Fatal flaw in the armor arrangement which allowed the magazine to be penetrated. There were ships named Hood before this last BC, but there hasn't been a ship of that name since.
I thought myself Hood would be a logical guess but unfortunately incorrect, I would read the clues again ;)