Quiet here...

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Since no one took the opportunity to answer and I've got a good question I'll answer now: Blücher.

The new question:

We're again looking for a naval officer who is mostly known today for his literary exploits. Very early in his career ha raised the alarm to fight the approaching enemy Martians.

Last edited:

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
New hint:

The sought after officers father was captain of one of the ships whose catastrophic end was featured among the questions in this thread.

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
New hint:

The sought after officer wrote his most known book while still in active service. He was dissappointed by the movie though it also is now widely regarded as a classic.

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Correct, you're it!

Reading one of his orbituaries I was struck by the fact that he was one of those affected by the "War of the Worlds" prank when, as midshipman-regimental commander in Annapolis, he, in conjunction woth the supervisory officers, sounded the alarm and prepared to issue weapons to repel the Martian invaders.

Last edited:

HReardon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
The "martian" thing really threw me. It wasn't until your last hint that I could look him up and find a reference to the "War of the Worlds" broadcast. Now I need to come up with a good question.

HReardon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
This ship met an unhappy end. Who is she?

The picture is bigger in my album, I have no idea how to link it.

Last edited:

Bontainer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Difficult from that angle.

Might be ACR6 California, lost to either torpedo of mine on Juli, 19th, 1918, or ACR10 Tennessee (later Memphis), wrecked by a Tsunami in 1916 (thrown on dry land, an especially sad fate for a ship).

HReardon

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Around here, unless you have an unusual angle, someone gets it right away. :)

This hint should do it. A sentence which has stuck in my head for years - even if it is a mixed metaphor:

"While centre-stage should have been clearing for the leading contenders to engage, here was a supporting actor getting in the way and babbling his own, nonsensical lines."

Heinz Fischer

CCIP @ Subsim.com
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
That's right, it's Centurion performing the role of Anson, classified as "Fleet Tender" (even the designation was itself a dummy). The only one of the British dummy battleships that was actually a battleship (at some point, anyway) and the only one that ever actually sailed anywhere in its intended decoy role :)

kotori87

Reaction score
Probably a Q-ship, I guess. Not sure about flag, name, and designation yet though. I'll do some more research tonight.

Yang

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Ok, now the popular source was a useful tip. :D Its the Q-ship HMS Privet and her tactical designation is Q-19.