Quiet here...

Bontainer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Ok, again a riddle, should be easy.

I carried the name of a person who rode hydrogen balloons in the American civil war.

I was completed but never used.

I still lie in the baltic sea, alledgedly full with spoils of war.

Bill II

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ok, again a riddle, should be easy.

I carried the name of a person who rode hydrogen balloons in the American civil war.

I was completed but never used.

I still lie in the baltic sea, alledgedly full with spoils of war.
Are you the Graf Zeppelin?

Bontainer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Yep, may be a bit too easy but I couldn´t find something more elaborate.

I always liked the idea of Zeppelin riding as an observer in the Union balloons and developing the concept over the decades.

Your turn Bill II !

Bill II

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
At the battle of Jutland, John Green, the Captain of the Battlecruiser New Zealand wore two non-regulation items. What where they & why was he wearing them?

Bill II

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Didn`t he wear only one, with the second item being on the bridge ready to pick up, just in case things were really going bad?
The book I read, says he was wearing both items. Other accounts may vary, so if you identify the two items, we'll call it a win.

Last edited:

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
IIRC it was his predecessor who wore both at Dogger Bank, he wore only one as his girth was considerably more hm... expansive than that of his predecessor.

Bontainer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Are you talking of these ? I have to admit my Maori is a bit rusty... ;-)

New Zealand’s action preparations included shipping a special steering wheel made of native timbers and inscribed with “Ake eke ake. Kia Kaha”.

While on the bridge Captain John Green RN placed a ponamu tiki around his neck. He was supposed to also wear a piu piu (presented to the ship along with the tiki during the visit to NZ in 1913) but Midshipman Eady recalled the Captain was rather stout, ‘so he just kept it close to hand ready to put it on should things become too hot.’ (New Zealand also had the face of a Maori warrior painted on the foretop.)

http://www.navymuseum.mil.nz/history/research/hs/hms-new-zealand-at-the-battle-of-jutland.htm

Bill II

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Are you talking of these ? I have to admit my Maori is a bit rusty... ;-)

New Zealand’s action preparations included shipping a special steering wheel made of native timbers and inscribed with “Ake eke ake. Kia Kaha”.

While on the bridge Captain John Green RN placed a ponamu tiki around his neck. He was supposed to also wear a piu piu (presented to the ship along with the tiki during the visit to NZ in 1913) but Midshipman Eady recalled the Captain was rather stout, ‘so he just kept it close to hand ready to put it on should things become too hot.’ (New Zealand also had the face of a Maori warrior painted on the foretop.)

http://www.navymuseum.mil.nz/history/research/hs/hms-new-zealand-at-the-battle-of-jutland.htm
We have a winner.

The Ponamu Tiki & Piu Piu kilt were what I was looking for.

In "Castles of Steel", Massie writes that the man who presented the gifts, said that if the ship's captain wore the items whenever the New Zealand went into action, the ship would be protected from serious damage.

The Ponamu Tiki & Piu Piu must have worked, as the New Zealand survived Jutland with one 11" hit & no casualties.

Bontainer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Sorry, haven´t been in the forum for a few days. I think Zakalwe was a bit earlier, so he can ask the next question, or its a free for all.

Bontainer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Sorry, did not want to stop the thread, so if anyone of you Gentlemen has a question - be my guest!

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
These two sisterships were the only ones of their type ever to have this peculiar and, at the time of their comissioning, outdated propulsion system.

Bontainer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Ok, I am going to pay my debts - a bit late but nonetheless.

Both ships who carried my name name were lost in battle in the first 8 months of a war in the same sea, but not in the same war. I helped to win at Quatre Bras but was defeated at Ligny.

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Lexington and Saratoga, the only turboeletcric carriers ?
OK, now we have a crossover:

No, turboelectric drives weren't outdated, on the contrary there were and are many other ships built with such drive systems.

Further hints (parctically giving it away to end the crosover): Both ships never went to sea but did nevertheless did operate quite a lot. Their outdated drive systems consumed a fuel that by that timme wasn't used anymore in warships. They were missing vital design features every other ship of their type had.

Edit: Is the Oslo Fjord part of the North Sea?

Last edited:

Bontainer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Ok, I stay with the carriers. Do you mean the great lakes paddlewheel steamers, that were converted and used for carrier landing training in WWII, Sable and Wolverine ? They never went to sea (the great lakes having the size but not the salt) and where the last paddle wheeled warships, they had a landing deck but no hangars and burned coal.

Concerning the turboelectric drives, they basically were the grandparents of all nuclear powered vessel in existance but AFAIK those two ships were the last turboelectric carriers ever build, the other carriers up unitl Enterprise all had conventional geared turbines powerd by oilfueled boilers.

Concerning my question: Yes, Oslo Fjord is part of the north sea. Since I guess you already know the correct answer I would like to give another hint for the others about the person after which the ships were named: It is (wrongly) said that he once entrusted to a peer that he feared that he had been made pregnant by a frenchman (Source: Guinness book of military blunders). I give kudos if you know what kind of animal the frenchman was :) (evil grin).

Last edited:

TBR

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Yes, I was aiming for the Great Lakes paddlewheel aircraft carriers Sable and Wolverine. The turboelectric drive has been widely used in shipbuilding durig WWII, every USN DE and RN frigate was fitted with it, partly to avoid using scarce gear-cutting and hard alloy capacity and partly for tactical reasons in ASW. They also were quite handy as sources of electrical power for distant bases.

Bontainer

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Ok, I stand corrected, but at least a little nickpicking: Only the Buckley and Rudderow classes had turbo-electric drives (thats 30% of the produced US DE´s) the rest went diesel-electric.

Concerning the gear cutting and alloy that´s not completely correct, since a turbo-electric drive still has the turbine part with need of special alloys for the blades and also the amount of copper needed for the coils.