Quick question on Kinetic Energy LMG counter from British Rare Vehicles.

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

Just can't find what the "(E)" stands for on the LMG counter from the British Rare Vehicles pack.

Please me know and thanks! :)

Joe

Pitman

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't have it handy but I know that (E) on one of the vehicles stands for "Early Model," so that might be a counter for an early model Bren gun?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
That looks like a Lewis Gun.

The only thing I can think of for a "(E)" is the German WW2 nationality code for British (aka English). Not the same as ASL's official "(b)" for British.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
The only thing I can think of for a "(E)" is the German WW2 nationality code for British (aka English). Not the same as ASL's official "(b)" for British.
That wouldn't make sense for a counter from a British pack in British colors. Of course it's British, unless it says otherwise.

JR

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
Then it can only mean Early (an Early LMG) to distinguish a Lewis from a Bren. The drum magazine and fat barrel can only be a Lewis, which was used by nearly everyone at some time. The image and 2 pp is the similar to that on one of the two US 2-6 LMG that came with RS, the other 2-6 LMG (1 pp) was the Johnson which also came with the earlier GH.

About the only nationality (in ASL terms) that didn't use the Lewis in an infantry role would be the Italians and French. Even the Soviets had some leftovers from the WW1/Civil War period, though how much usage they got in WW2 is another question.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_gun

Last edited:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then it can only mean Early (an Early LMG) to distinguish a Lewis from a Bren. The drum magazine and fat barrel can only be a Lewis, which was used by nearly everyone at some time. The image and 2 pp is the similar to that on one of the two US 2-6 LMG that came with RS, the other 2-6 LMG (1 pp) was the Johnson which also came with the earlier GH.

About the only nationality (in ASL terms) that didn't use the Lewis in an infantry role would be the Italians and French. Even the Soviets had some leftovers from the WW1/Civil War period, though how much usage they got in WW2 is another question.

Edit: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lewis_gun
E, European! Duh!?

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
OK, some quite amusing political digs and puns, but enough!

62nd Army

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gentlemen

"Early" seems to make the most sense. To bad it is not in the notes pages provided in this pack.

Thanks!!
Joe

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
I don't have it handy but I know that (E) on one of the vehicles stands for "Early Model," so that might be a counter for an early model Bren gun?
All Bren gun models were equivalent in ASL terms, the major changes were simplified barrels and sights on later Marks.

Mark I - Aug 1938. Dial sight. 25 inch barrel
Mark II - Jun 1941 - non telescoping bipod legs, ladder type rear sight. Lower pistol grip and butt strap deleted. Minor body changes. Gas regulator/flash hider/front sight changed from one piece to three pieces.
Mark III - Jul 1943 - Mk I body with other Mk II features. Shortened barrel (22.25 inches).
Mark IV - Mk II body and shortened barrel.

The Lewis gun was used as a stopgap early in the war, in both infantry use as well as anti-aircraft work (it was a ground-mounted Lewis gun on a tripod that killed Richtofen, after all). I believe the reason for their inclusion in a rare vehicle pack, was their use in the desert by LRDG gun trucks?

Last edited:

Paul M. Weir

Forum Guru
Staff member
Reaction score
First name
Paul
Country
llIreland
The few times I have seen drums on Brens were on Humber SC and the likes of DTO Valentines.

After the Lewis the most common drum usage was on the Vickers K. Those were early WW2 flexible mounted aircraft MGs (but unsuitable for synchronisation). The LRDG took good numbers. They had a high rate of fire (adjustable 900-1200 r/min) and were regarded as more reliable than the Bren or Vickers MMG under desert conditions. They were mounted in single or double mounts on trucks and jeeps. It was light and with it's high ROF and 100 round drums, I would rate a Vickers K as a 3-8 [1] B12 1pp (R1, X6).

The Lewis was used in home defence and outside Europe until mid-war at least, '39-'40 ETO usage would have been airfields and rear areas. The LRDG and other Desert forces did use them early on ('40), but the LRDG had switched to Vickers K, .50" M2 and stuff like captured Italian aircraft MG as soon as they could.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes, the photo is a Lewis on LRDG patrol lorry, but I believe Paul is correct in that the LRDG and later the SAS sought to switch to K-series, .50 and captured Italian Bredas ASAP...

Just of general interest: nice new tires/tyres (not that they would be bald from desert, but no nicks from hammada and Tunisian terrain), vehicle in good nick and paint scheme...pyth helmets...

Last edited: