Quick question about seeing wire at night...

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am interpreting the ASLRB (E1.16) as a no to this question:
NVR is 1. Good order unit in open ground. Adjacent hex is also open ground. If there is a wire counter there the unit cannot see this and the wire may remain HIP?
Even if illuminated?
If no, then only revealed by searching or entering hex?
Thanks in advance.
Just seems odd that even if illuminated wire cannot be seen.
And yes, I am that dumb...?

Last edited:

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I am interpreting the ASLRB (E1.16) as a no to this question:
NVR is 1. Good order unit in open ground. Adjacent hex is also open ground. If there is a wire counter there the unit cannot see this and the wire may remain HIP?
Even if illuminated?
If no, then only revealed by searching or entering hex?
Thanks in advance.
Just seems odd that even if illuminated wire cannot be seen.
That is correct. I don't think it means that the wire is literally invisible and you have to walk into it to find it. I think it means it is not visible at 40m, which is not too unreasonable in most situations. There might be situations where that should be SSR'd, e.g. twelve-foot high fences or desert. My understanding is that one lays military wire close to the ground and wide if possible rather than high. It might even be low enough to be covered by low grass.

JR

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
That is correct. I don't think it means that the wire is literally invisible and you have to walk into it to find it. I think it means it is not visible at 40m, which is not too unreasonable in most situations. There might be situations where that should be SSR'd, e.g. twelve-foot high fences or desert. My understanding is that one lays military wire close to the ground and wide if possible rather than high. It might even be low enough to be covered by low grass.

JR
Absolutely. It could be a tangle-foot lay and because of shadows & tall grass it would remain almost invisible until actually in the stuff (been caught there more than once).

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks guys. We are playing this right.

Tooz

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
David over on the FB ASL page posed a good question--what about shellholes?
I would say that shellholes would be terrain and not necessarily considered a fortification. Soldiers didn't build this, but soldiers caused this. Is the sheelhole revealed? I would say that since it is terrain, this is seen. So, once again the reality argument--you can spot shellholes in the dark but not wire? Hmmm.

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Shellholes are not fortifications so the exclusion would not apply to them. They are terrain (like rubble) and visible unless an SSR specifies otherwise.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
David over on the FB ASL page posed a good question--what about shellholes?
I would say that shellholes would be terrain and not necessarily considered a fortification. Soldiers didn't build this, but soldiers caused this. Is the sheelhole revealed? I would say that since it is terrain, this is seen. So, once again the reality argument--you can spot shellholes in the dark but not wire? Hmmm.
Shellholes are not fortifications and are seen.

JR