Quick AAR: Breaking In (Raging Tiger)

Arno

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Hi guys,

last night I played "Breaking In", and I really enjoyed this one!

I am in command of a company of the Future Combat System (FCS) family of vehicles. I have to secure OBJ MISERY and attrit a company-minus element from the enemy’s 46th Division down to 2 units.

To reach OBJ MISERY, I can choose from 3 bridges, one near the large town to the north, one in the centre of the combat area and one to the south. The northern doesn't seem too friendly with possible ambush sites throughout the city and an approach with virtually no cover.
The bridge in the centre doesn't look bad as the treeline isn't far from the bridge, but on my side of the river I would have to cross a large open space again without cover.
The southern bridge seems best and so I placed my scouts accordingly. One on the hill to the east of the town and two scouts on hills in the southern part of the forest.

My basic plan is to cross the river as fast as possible and work my way west through the woods. While the highways would surely be deadly, the area south of OBJ MISERY is a good possible approach as there are hills everywhere that will hopefully allow my units to get near OBJ MISERY without being easily spotted.

Here's how it looks like:

As the mission begins, two enemy units are spotted by my scouts. While artillery takes care of them, the first elements cross the bridge and proceed quickly to the cover of the treeline. As the first units arrive without any problems, I move all remaining units (except my arty battery) over there as well.

My task force proceeds east with only minor resistance from isolated enemy dismounts. Enemy fortified positions are taken out by artillery or infantry dismounts while my scouts keep moving from hilltop to hilltop trying to locate enemy forces. Once all units have arrived at the western edge of the wooded area, my arty battery is ordered to move there as well to provide fire support during the attack on OBJ MISERY.

Meanwhile my scouts are moving towards the objective. Once my artillery arrives and is ready, several enemy MBTs are taken out with PGMs thanks to my scout units.

I move my main force up with scouts on their flanks and in front. I manage to close in on the objective without getting spotted and order one of my scout vehicles to enter the objective. As the vehicle clears the hill, it is spotted by an enemy MBT and immediately taken out. I send another scout vehicle on a nearby hilltop and manage to get a fix on the MBTs position. PGMs quickly take care of that threat and I move my mech infantry and armour platoons in to begin the attack.

My dismounts and tanks enter the objective but encounter only a single dismount team. I manage to secure OBJ MISERY without any further casualties and bring up the rest of my force.

As I haven't yet caused the enemy enough casualties, I move my scouts toward the town and the southern highway to locate the remaining enemy forces. While the town is almost undefended, I finally find and destroy the remaining NK troops in the hills to the south. (This part got a little tedious as I literally had to go through the area with a fine comb :D )

Once only two enemy teams remained, the mission was declared a success.
Overall I lost one scout vehicle :TRUCE:

The results were the following:

MISSION COMPLETE
All mission objectives completed.
There are still some minor issues to work out with the FCS vehicles, but your unit handled this mission well, and against some top-notch equipment! How does it feel to be writing an FM while living it? Consolidate your forces on the objective and be preparing your defenses. JSTARS intel shows a rather large force moving into your sector from the Northwest. Steady, Captain!
Mission Objectives:?1. Attrit the enemy to 2 enemy maneuver vehicles or teams. ?2. Eliminate all enemy vehicles or teams in OBJ MISERY and occupy it with at least 4 friendly vehicles or teams.
Results:?1. The enemy has 2 maneuver vehicles or teams remaining. ?2. No enemy vehicles or teams remain in the objective, OBJ MISERY. The objective is occupied by 11 friendly vehicles or teams.
Enemy Starting and Ending Combat Power:
Vehicle Type
Starting
Ending

MG Team (PKM)
AT Team (HJ-8E Red Arrow)
Mortar Team (2B14 82mm)
UAZ-469 82mm Mortar Team Truck
DRT Team
Type 98 MBT
BMP-2 IFV
Civs and Refugees

Friendly Starting and Ending Combat Power:
Vehicle Type
Starting
Ending

Dismount Rifle Sqd (US-ROK)
Weapons Sqd (US)
FCS Non-Line-Of-Sight Cannon
FCS FAASV
FCS APC
FCS Line-Of-Sight Vehicle
M58 Smoke Carrier 'Wolf'
M113A3 Sapper APC
Avenger HMMWV SAM
M139 Volcano (HEMTT)
FCS Recon Vehicle
FCS Mortar Vehicle
M1 Grizzly Breaching Vehicle
Dismount Scout Team (US-ROK)

Allied Starting and Ending Combat Power:
Vehicle Type
Starting
Ending

Civs and Refugees

Last edited:

JamesBailey

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Arno-

We can not haze you on these results: a very well planned and executed flanking movement that avoided enemy's strong points and killed him at his weak points. That FCS is nice kite, isn't it? Especially that NLOS cannon...

It appears that enemy did not have any of the three points you had to breach covered with either eyeballs or fires. Is this the case? Tactically, did you have a good breaching plan and execution in place (in case there had been enemy fires)?

I guess the enemy's intent was to kill you in a "L" shaped fire sack as you advanced from PL SHINING to PL CHRISTINE on the road. Your worry that this was the case paid off big time.

Outstanding work CPT Arno!

Arno

Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thanks for the kind words James!! :)

Regarding the breaching points, I think the enemy had the other two covered, but not with much firepower.

I guess if the enemy had put up more resistance at the breaching points I would have had to come up with a better plan than what I had :D My initial plan was to try it the way I did and if my scouts ran into enemy defenses I would have tried to develop the plan on the go :eek: I think it would have worked out ok, too, as I kept my scouts well in front to find enemy positions. What really could have gotten to me was if the enemy had let my scouts pass and then open fire on the main force as it moves through the breach...

I must say that was the most entertaining scenario so far! (I guess that's also because I start to feel a little more "in control" of the game, although I barely scratched the surface :D

Thanks again for the nice comments, I appreciate the input!

Take care
Arno

Last edited: