Questions to Designer: FT183 Partisan Stronghold

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Looking at the setup instructions of the Partisans in FT183 Partisan Stronghold (by Mark Hatfield & Philippe Naud), I want to make sure that I understand them correctly:

"Set up on board 42, with at least 4 squads in building hexes (including at least 1 squad in the stronghold; see SSR 2) and in no more than 4 buildings."

Clearly, at least 4 squads must set up to 4 building hexes. So far so good.

The OoB does also grant Dummies, though. And the Partisans could start with one of their squads deployed.

My questions:
  1. Would it be allowed to set up Half Squads in other Building Hexes than those 4 Building Hexes?
  2. Would it be allowed to set up Dummies in other Building Hexes than those 4 Building Hexes?
von Marwitz

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I am not among this scenario's designers (there are plenty of Philippes in the French ASL world), but read as printed, my answers would be that you cannot set up any part of your OB over more than 4 buildings. This covers both questions - HS and dummies are part of the OB.

(And, of course, 3 squads and 2 HS in buildings would not be sufficient, since the scenario SSRs use "squads" and not "squad-equivalents")

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
It seems clear enough to me. The Partisans must set up at least 4 squads in building hexes. No more than 4 building hexes can have anything set up in them.

I don't think that the use of the term "squad" prohibits "squad-equivalent" in this case. A5.5 makes the general rule that when an SSR mentions "squad" it automatically includes squad-equivalents. (If "squad" was in italics or otherwise emphasised then I would say that "squad counters" was intended.) If "squad counter" is intended than that should definitely be made more explicit.

Other than the above restrictions the Partisans can of course set up in any allowed non-building hex.