Questions on CdG Counters

pwashington

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Having had time to digest all of the contents in the CdG box, a couple of questions:
  • When it was announced that the Free French would get their own counters, my assumption (apparently a bad one) was that they would replace the existing French counters. I now understand the inclusion of the Free French, along with the Vichy French, and the reprints of the existing French counters are meant to provide the complete French OB (pre-June 1940, and post-June 1940) to allow for scenarios throughout the war, for either side. My Plano count is a little short.
  • On sheet 11, there are three VCL Mk VI/C57(b) counters. Are those errata corrections or additional counters for the Allied Minor OB?

Hutch

Curator of the ASL Armory
Reaction score
First name
Hutch
Country
llUnited States
The VCL Mk VI are additional, those in DB3 are A-B, in CdG2 they are C-E.

I have the CdG2 Armory ready with the exception of the numbering of the additional scenarios, and the names of the Dinant Scenarios.

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
suppose I am a Harriet Tubman or 4 or 5 way late to this party for suggestions or just plain begging or groveling... but I'll genuflect to anyone at MMP who tells me that CDGv2 has (some)more of the blue Trailer counters. WITH the non-emplaced gun backs. I've never seen those counters with any other release. Strangely for those are not just handy.. but almost necessary for larger games with lots of guns, which is where I live, to help keep track of ordnance that has been moved/pushed and can no longer claim the +2 emplacement TH mod. The ones I have (think there were 6 originally with CGG are just plain nasty and was forced to used homebrew (old red chit access draw) counters for my own non-emplaced counters.

unless I missed them in some release...

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sparky genuflects to your avatar man

Sparky

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Which is eight more than you'll ever need.
if you can keep track of 30 guns counters being moved on a large HASL battlefield around without them.. you get a genuflection as well...

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Gonna need to do a Dinant-specific sheet of "print your own counters" soon.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Just out of curiosity does the French counter set include any FCM F1s? Personally, I think super-heavy tanks are dumb but there seems to be a bunch of people who like them.

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It appears that this unboxing video

shows that the French come in 2 colors (1940 - presumably the old, standard color), Free French (a different shade), and then the two-tone Vichy?

Is that a trick of the light or are there actually 3 sets of French counters now?

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Which is eight more than you'll ever need.
You wouldn't believe it, but just a couple of weeks ago, I did indeed need those trailer counters.

As for the unemplaced Gun counters: They are a novelty for sure. Usually in my experience, setting up a Gun non-emplaced is either decreed by SSR or the circumstances are very unusual (i.e. you actually move the thing during the game or set up a Gun in a spot where it can't emplace). In such unusual circumstances, you normally remember that the Gun is not emplaced. So Chas might be right in this respect. Still, those counters will gladly be taken.

von Marwitz

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Does this module include the Lend-Lease equipment/vehicles used by the Free French?
American-armed French still use American counters. There are a few vehicles in American colors in CdG including a mix of French vehicles and American export vehicles, which would not be found in Yanks. Presumably the American-armed French will use other American vehicles as appropriate. There are a few sets of British-colored vehicles too. In French color of of non-French origin I only see a set of Valentine Vs.

JR

Gordon

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But if we now have Free French (British equipped) counters, why do we need the British-colored French Vehicles anymore. I can see the need for the American colored French Vehicles for the Free French (American equipped) units. Color me (French blue) confused.