Questions on CdG Counters

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
But if we now have Free French (British equipped) counters, why do we need the British-colored French Vehicles anymore.
The Free French counters are only 1/2" counters. All the British/American Guns/Vehicles they used are not provided in French blue.

lightspeed

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Three "sets":

• standard French in French blue;
• Vichy French in French blue with a German-blue border (use German "?"counters); and
• Free French with Brit counter art but in French blue with a white "Cross of Lorraine" symbol

Are the (standard) French and the Vichy French functionally identical? Meaning same strength values
and broken morale? I think I saw somewhere 6-4-8 Free French. Presumably, that's the British infantry
values in Free French kit.

indy

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Are the (standard) French and the Vichy French functionally identical? Meaning same strength values
and broken morale? I think I saw somewhere 6-4-8 Free French. Presumably, that's the British infantry
values in Free French kit.
The vichy french are the same as the standard french, but with a german-colored border. The free french are in french blue but with british values. For battles between free french and vichy? Invasion of Gabon CG, anyone? Kissoué?

JR

Last edited:

bprobst

Elder Member
Reaction score
First name
Bruce
Country
llAustralia
Of course, using the old counters Free French vs. Vichy French encounters used regular British and regular French squads. So there was never a chance of confusion. This change of counter colour is just that and nothing more (unless there's some other consideration that I'm missing).

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Without vehicle and ordnance counters in the new colours I don't see the advantage of these additional counter sets over the old approach.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I like the idea of different colors for different nationalities. I do wish they had also done the vehicles. Really though, it is only cosmetic.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Without vehicle and ordnance counters in the new colours I don't see the advantage of these additional counter sets over the old approach.
If they are indeed intended for the few times that Free French fought Vichy French, it makes some sense. The Free French avoided situations where they had to fight the Vichy French, and there are maybe a handful of occasions. I can only find the two I mentioned. Most of the Syrian/Middle East campaign was fought by the Australians. It may be the case that during the Vichy French either had no heavy weapons/vehicles (Kissoué) or had such that can be represented with the German OB. So the only use for them would be vs. Free French. In American or German vs. Vichy (vs. the Germans, recently) scenarios, for example, the Vichy forces would use ordinary French counters.

JR

Last edited:

JRKrejsa

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I just like the idea of the Free French having different artwork and "French" names.

The British SMC names and artwork just seemed odd.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
There is no real advantage I guess, unless one didn't like using British-colored counters for the Free French.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Anyone playing "Fratricidal Fighting" {Free French vs Vichy French in Syria}?
I don't think the French 25LL are available in German colors, so it must be expected that the Vichy side uses the standard French gun counters.

JR

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
I don't think the French 25LL are available in German colors, so it must be expected that the Vichy side uses the standard French gun counters.
They do - the new rule for Vichy.

25.58 VICHY FRENCH: Vichy French Personnel and SW counters have a unique two-tone color and are used after June 1940 for Vichy French forces. Vichy French use French vehicles and guns and in some circumstances German SW, vehicles, and guns.

william.stoppel

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
They do - the new rule for Vichy.

25.58 VICHY FRENCH: Vichy French Personnel and SW counters have a unique two-tone color and are used after June 1940 for Vichy French forces. Vichy French use French vehicles and guns and in some circumstances German SW, vehicles, and guns.
Another reason not to punch and clip either the Vichy or Free French

Old Noob

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Always punch and clip counters, you have to stay adept in the practice of that activity.