Questions From Last Week's Game

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
A couple of rules issues arose and I meant to re-check with the hive as to whether or not we got them right.

1) A building hex is mined with A-P mines (6). The Attacker successfully clears a single TB through them. How much does it now cost to traverse the building hex via the TB? My vote was 4MF (double the normal MF cost), his vote was 2MF. We found the rule quickly enough, but he argued that "the open ground portion is doubled, not the building". I did not think this made any sense as the rule is written, YMMV.

2) A broken unit is in an A-P minefield and must rout due to an ADJ enemy. The exit attack from the mines results in a PTC. He argued that "broken units don't take PTCs", but I disagreed without finding corroboration. I thought if it failed the PTC it would remain in the mine hex, and ADJ to an enemy, and die for FTR. A third party was called in it to settle the issue. I don't recall any specific rule he cited, except that broken units CAN take PTCs during rout/interdiction, and if Pinned must stop their rout. We put the (well versed) third party on the spot, so he didn't have time for full-on rules research. I recall seeing the same situation played before as he described, but that doesn't mean it was done right. Thoughts?

3) My sniper hits a stack of his units. I roll for RS and it hits the one leader present. Strangely, my oppo became fairly upset when I rolled the Wound Severity dr and a '5' came up. He said "I'm supposed to roll that!" I don't recall any rule stating that either side "gets" to do it, just assuming it was a 'friendly/house-y' thing of whoever rolls it, rolls it, no big deal. He honored my WS dr, but fumed for some time afterward. I may have been wrong rules-wise, but I suspicion that if I had rolled a '2', it wouldn't have even been brought up. In previous years, both my opponents and I made WS drs for each other without pause.

Thanks for any rules citations, clarifications, or advice!

Aavar

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
1. 4MF - B28.61 ... Units may enter a minefield hex via a TB at twice their normal MK/MP cost......
-- normal MF for entering a building in a hex is 2MF now that it is a Minefield hex double it to 4MF.

2. broken units don't roll PTC - A7.305PTC A "PTC" result forces an unbroken Personal target to take a NT; those which fail are pinned--not broken. Broken units never take Pin TC. ...

3. I don't believe there is any written rule about who rolls the dice/die for anything.
I play owning player rolls, so in your case, owner of sniper rolls sniper roll, the owner of the units roll RS and the owner of the leader rolls wound severity.

djohannsen

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I play owning player rolls, so in your case, owner of sniper rolls sniper roll, the owner of the units roll RS and the owner of the leader rolls wound severity.
I'm only a novice player, but this is the way that our local club does it.

Having the player who owns the sniper roll the WS dr seems a bit like the firing unit rolling the MC for a unit required to do so after an IFT attack.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
2. broken units don't roll PTC - A7.305PTC A "PTC" result forces an unbroken Personal target to take a NT; those which fail are pinned--not broken. Broken units never take Pin TC. ...

Incorrect: A10.53 " An Interdicted unit is also subject to pinning (7.8), to the extent that if pinned, it may not rout further during that RtPh and if pinned while still ADJACENT to a Known, armed, unbroken, enemy unit is eliminated for Failure to Rout." and A7.8 "Pinning affects broken units only during Interdiction (10.53), and even then only during the RtPh,...". Just say'n.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Incorrect: A10.53 " An Interdicted unit is also subject to pinning (7.8), to the extent that if pinned, it may not rout further during that RtPh and if pinned while still ADJACENT to a Known, armed, unbroken, enemy unit is eliminated for Failure to Rout." and A7.8 "Pinning affects broken units only during Interdiction (10.53), and even then only during the RtPh,...". Just say'n.
He did say they dont take PTC, not that they can't pin though.

Jeff Sewall

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Ah, but as you quoted, "Pinning affects broken units only during Interdiction". This isn't Interdiction.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Good points, read right past the PTC part and dind't take into account that a minefield attack isn't really an interdiction (kind of weird feeling to it though)! :thumbsup:

volgaG68

Fighting WWII One DR At A Time
Reaction score
First name
Chris
Country
llUnited States
Inre: #2 I see, if the mine result had been an NMC, and the brokie had rolled equal to his Morale, he would have pinned? But because the mine result was actually a PTC, he doesn't have to take that? Or am I still confusing it with Interdiction?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Inre: #2 I see, if the mine result had been an NMC, and the brokie had rolled equal to his Morale, he would have pinned? But because the mine result was actually a PTC, he doesn't have to take that? Or am I still confusing it with Interdiction?
A7.8 "Pinning affects broken units only during Interdiction (A10.53)."

JR

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Broken units would take PTC only for the purpose of triggering booby traps (hence SSR-dependent)

Mister T

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Usually people would roll for their own units so i can understand that your opponent was upset (a case where people often wonder is when Prisoners must roll, although who rolls dice has no game consequences).
I remember only one game where an opponent refused to roll RS after my SAN because "he did not want to hurt his units", so i ended up rolling for both sides RS throughout the game. :D

Jacometti

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Usually people would roll for their own units so i can understand that your opponent was upset (a case where people often wonder is when Prisoners must roll, although who rolls dice has no game consequences).
I remember only one game where an opponent refused to roll RS after my SAN because "he did not want to hurt his units", so i ended up rolling for both sides RS throughout the game. :D
I think it is common practice for the owning player to make the DRs that affect his units, certainly including any Wound Severity dr.

I have never seen it played any other way in 1,000 games.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I think it is common practice for the owning player to make the DRs that affect his units, certainly including any Wound Severity dr.

I have never seen it played any other way in 1,000 games.
Wound severity, yes the owning player normally does that; as for RS of sniper attack or a KIA/K result, I've seen it both ways. It does make sense the guy that's firing rolls to see what he's hit, but I can see that the sufferring player may want to roll the RS as well though this makes less sense to me (does he also roll the other guys shot after it's announced?). As far as rolling for his affected units I agree, but not necessarilly what units are to be effected. (Meh).

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Ah, but as you quoted, "Pinning affects broken units only during Interdiction". This isn't Interdiction.
What if an enemy Stuka point attacks a Location with a broken unit in it which is ADJACENT to a GO enemy unit?
(Besides being scary for the GO enemy unit...)

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This is also my take.

I always play it that the opponent has to roll for Random Selection as well - always better if he himself is "responsible" if the Sniper snuffs out his 9-2...

von Marwitz

Aavar

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
What if an enemy Stuka point attacks a Location with a broken unit in it which is ADJACENT to a GO enemy unit?
(Besides being scary for the GO enemy unit...)

von Marwitz
Only affects unbroken infantry.
2nd sentence of E7.403
E 7.403 .... Regardless of the outcome of its first MG Point attack, all unbroken infantry [EXC: those normally immune to Pin effects] fired on in the hex are pinned. ...

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Broken units would take PTC only for the purpose of triggering booby traps (hence SSR-dependent)
I don't think they would. A ORC onky affects unbroken units. A pinned unit woukd take it but a broken one woukd not.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I don't think they would. A ORC onky affects unbroken units. A pinned unit woukd take it but a broken one woukd not.
B28.9 "Infantry normally immune to PTC must take them for Booby Trap resolution purposes only." It's hard to say whether a broken unit is "immune" or just doesn't take PTCs because "immune" is not a defined term, but I think that broken are required to take the PTC for booby traps, whether the broken unit is an orc, goblin or even a hobbit. Perhaps someone else feels there is a need for a q&a.

JR

Vinnie

See Dummies in the index
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I think as the definition of ptc refers to it onky being taken by unbroken units, broken units, like BY CT FAV in a location where fire generates a ptc are not immune but just not subject to it.
Maybe a Q&A is needed.