Questions about night rules and DRM's

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Sent to the ASLML sometime yesterday:

Hello listers, I'm having some challenges with Night rules (er, I still haven't played 10 games yet) in ASLRBv2 Chapter E .

E1.7 says that units have a +1 Low Visibiltiy Hindrance DRM (which does not nullify a FFMO DRM) . .

Q. Does that mean that FFMO is not used in hexes that aren't illuminated? My interpretation is that a guy running in the non-illuminated open within NVR of a 447 would be fired on as 4-0 (-1 NAM and +1 LV, and FFMO doesn't count).

Q. Even worse, was E1.941, shadows. This just has me completely stumped.

I would certainly appreciate a bit of clarification from you ASL god types.

Thanks,

Andrew "reading ASLRB to and from work every day, but I've got a brain leak" Tuline

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
atuline said:
Hello listers, I'm having some challenges with Night rules (er, I still haven't played 10 games yet) in ASLRBv2 Chapter E .
And you're coping well, grasshopper :)

atuline said:
E1.7 says that units have a +1 Low Visibiltiy Hindrance DRM (which does not nullify a FFMO DRM) . .

Q. Does that mean that FFMO is not used in hexes that aren't illuminated? My interpretation is that a guy running in the non-illuminated open within NVR of a 447 would be fired on as 4-0 (-1 NAM and +1 LV, and FFMO doesn't count).
Nope. Illumination is only relevant at night for LOS purposes. The Night LV DRM applies even to Illuminated Locations (it's still not daylight).
In your example, it'd be a 4 -1 (FFNAM, FFMO, NLV). Only 'true' hindrances and TEM can negate FFMO. Luckily for my Germans, there are plenty of them on that PB map...

atuline said:
Q. Even worse, was E1.941, shadows. This just has me completely stumped.
Only applies to the Illumination caused by Blazes. Your typical Blaze will Illuminate any Location within two hexes. But a building (or other obstacle) will block that Illuminating effect. I think of it as follows. If a unit in the Location can't see the Blaze (LOS is blocked by an obstacle that isn't a wall or a hedge), then it's not Illuminated.

atuline said:
I would certainly appreciate a bit of clarification from you ASL god types.
Got a long way to go before I get up to that standard :)

Johnny Canuck

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Thanks for the clarification on the LV Chris.

Chris, a couple of other items now that I've gone through E a few times . . I guess I absorbed a bit of it.

1) I don't recall us rolling for straying. I'd love to see some of your horde stray a bit.

2) Not sure if my MTR IR shot was legal. Not sure if the 3rd item in 1.91 would qualify it, and I don't really understand the 1st.

Chris Milne

Reaction score
Country
ll
atuline said:
1) I don't recall us rolling for straying. I'd love to see some of your horde stray a bit.
Ah ... I've been sticking closely to those roads and streams. Straying is rarely a problem in PB due to the nature of the terrain.

atuline said:
2) Not sure if my MTR IR shot was legal. Not sure if the 3rd item in 1.91 would qualify it, and I don't really understand the 1st.
Hmm. Thinking about it now, you're kinda right. The shot was legal (the mortar crew has LOS to a gunflash), but the IR placement was wrong (it should have been placed along the LOS to that gunflash). Never mind. Just have to remember that one when we get to the CG... :)