Question: why all British tanks start with a "C"?

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
Just suddenly realized all British tanks since WWII start their names with a "C": Cruiser, Crusader, Churcher, Centurion, Chieftan, Challenger .... is there any special reason for that? :)

Siberian HEAT

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
This is a wag, but probably because their designation of "Cruiser" (medium) tank. All the crusiers start with C, while the infantry and light tanks have alternate designations.

Or it might be because them Brits just like their traditions :cheeky:

Marko

Reaction score
Country
ll
They go through phases of doing that. For example they may commission a certain class of Frigate and then make several naming all of them with the same letter. 'C' could stand for coool....or crap.:cheeky:

ER_Chaser

Reaction score
Country
llChina
LoL

I just came up with maybe because tanks were first deployed to the "cavalry" units? ... or .. whatever, but if that is the case, Matilda was not with a "C" ...

But if it is about medium tanks, .. actually what is the line for medium and heavy today? I only notice these days, tanks become "light tanks" or MBTs (main battle tanks) .... maybe heavy tanks become a historical name for WWII only? ....

Marko

Reaction score
Country
ll
I see. Two light tanks Scorpion, Scimitar etc. Some things don't even have names. I served in a FV432, which is just referred to as a 432. Its a bog standard tracked APC, with a single 7.62mm mounted gun. And some of the Guns had names and some numbers. Maybe they just named things that they liked...