Question on SP120 "Kettlehut to the Rescue"

CKS04

Grenadier Tournament
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Guys,

i'am very sorry if this question was alreday asked but i have a big problem with the setup for this scenario.

By reading the Designers notes included in the Schwerpunkt mag it looks as if there are five level four hexes on board 9. By using the halfboard like it is written in the Map Orientation (rows A_P on board 9)there is only one level 4 hill hex (9O5).

If reading through the article i think i make some serious mistake in map layout but i don't find which one. It also makes no sense to me that the German setup area is in hexes <= 5 on board 15. this are the hexes adjacent to board 9. Is this my mistake? I have butted together board 9 and 15 on hexes 9Y1 and 15Y1.

Thanks for any help.

CK

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CKS04 said:
By reading the Designers notes included in the Schwerpunkt mag it looks as if there are five level four hexes on board 9. By using the halfboard like it is written in the Map Orientation (rows A_P on board 9)there is only one level 4 hill hex (9O5).
I talked to Evan about this after ASLOK. I believe the answer is that the designer's notes are wrong. The designer got confused over the layers of dark brown, confusing level 3 and level 4 hexes. However, I am not 100% positive about this and will check to make sure this evening (GMT -0500).

As for the german set up area, that is wrong on the scenario card. The Germans set up close to the off-board edge, not close to board 9. I will get a better correction for that when I get home too.

Last edited:

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
CKS04 said:
If reading through the article i think i make some serious mistake in map layout but i don't find which one. It also makes no sense to me that the German setup area is in hexes <= 5 on board 15. this are the hexes adjacent to board 9. Is this my mistake?
No, it is an error on the card. The German set up area should be "greater than or equal to", not "less than or equal to" (the error creeped in due to an earlier error on the map orientation--we fixed that but it messed up the set-up area). This was to be posted on the Schwerepunkt website, but it has been so long since Evan has had to put errata up that he has forgotten how.

The designer's notes are wrong. Our designer was harried to write the notes a week before taking a trip to propose to his soon-to-be-bride and did not do as much justice as he should to it. And we (the proofreaders) failed to read the analysis as closely as we should. Sorry for any confusion.

I notice that it is showing a bit pro-US as well. I think that it is a depressing scenario to play as the German. The german player usually gets slaughtered early, but if he can tough it out the US squads begin to break and have a very hard time rallying. This is one scenario that I do not believe the OBA should be used to place smoke. HE concentrations on US troops is the way to go.

CKS04

Grenadier Tournament
Reaction score
Country
llGermany
Thanks for the information. Thought something must be wrong.

CK