Question on Mission 12: Besieged, msr #7

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
The rule states :

"7. Each Advance Attitude S?/Activated-unit moves toward the nearest FRIENDLY-Controlled VPO."

Does this rule override the automatic actions? We assumed it did as the msr doesn't have any exceptions.

But it seems strange - the Enemy ( Soviets ) had a 76L ART piece with an acquired target but we tried moving it instead ( in this case it didn't matter - it's target was a German *20L(20) AA which rolled a 12 on it's next attack {after rolling snakes for a command roll} and two attempts later a 6 for repair ).

Robert Fabbro

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Hmmm... I have no solid rule reference to support this, but I would think that Automatic Actions would still count first.

Otherwise, you might have weird things like Berserk units running past the nearest FRIENDLY units to get to further distant VP locations. The rudimentary AI of SASL already behaves in strange ways, but having ENEMY crews pushing large artillery pieces towards a distant location when they have a valid target seems too bizarre (for me).

Just my opinion. Sorry I can't offer up a rules reference.

Rob

Last edited:

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I am pretty sure that Automatic Actions supersede any other action for that unit on that turn (barring panic):

S6.3 AUTOMATIC ACTIONS: Each Activated ENEMY unit that is eligible for ≥ one Automatic Action has its Action for that Player Turn predetermined. Such a unit must still make an Action DR {A2} [EXC: 4.32], but barring Panic, the unit will carry out its designated Automatic Action. Some Automatic Actions occur only during the MPh, depending on a unit's move or the current situation (i.e., 6.315-.317).

Steed

Reaction score
First name
Walter
Country
llUnited States
I am pretty sure that Automatic Actions supersede any other action for that unit on that turn (barring panic):

S6.3 AUTOMATIC ACTIONS: Each Activated ENEMY unit that is eligible for ≥ one Automatic Action has its Action for that Player Turn predetermined. Such a unit must still make an Action DR {A2} [EXC: 4.32], but barring Panic, the unit will carry out its designated Automatic Action. Some Automatic Actions occur only during the MPh, depending on a unit's move or the current situation (i.e., 6.315-.317).

Thank you.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I don’t have the Mission card handy; but my interpretation would be: all actions (including auto actions) occur normally; but if an Enemy unit is called upon to Move, their direction is predetermined i.e. toward a VPO (rather than rolling a random direction using. Hex rosette).

Barking Monkey

Reaction score
First name
John
Country
llUnited States
I agree with the above regarding the primacy of automatic actions. Additionally, when I play this mission (it's one of my favorites) I still roll on table A4b for those ENEMY that have move actions only to assess whether the unit conducts assault, full or double-time movement (just to maintain a bit of fog-of-war) then apply that rate of movement to direct them toward the nearest FRIENDLY controlled VPO. And of course S6.316 regarding infantry smoke grenades still applies.