Question on hinderances

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi ya

I think my opponent has this wrong but here is the question:
in hex W16 you have a hero /squad firing out of smoke.
in hex x15 and y15 you have two more squads firing through the X14 dispersed smoke.

If hexes W16, X15 and Y15 combine as a FG do they suffer both the smoke in W16 and X14 IE they would suffer
+3 firing out of W16
+3 Firing out of X15 and Y15? There is an orchard hex X14 with the dispersed smoke.

My opponent claims he only suffer a +3 penalty since the hinderances are equel. I really do not think it is the case. See pic also.

Scott8216

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
Calculate what the final modifier would be for each unit of the FG (as if each unit fired separately). Multiple SMOKE can apply (and if in combination with the orchards, they may total +6 or more, thus blocking LOS).

The FG receives the drm from whichever firing unit is worst.

...and then add the hero's -1 bonus!!:D

Last edited:

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
As I understand it W16 is +4 for smoke (+3 +1 for firing out of smoke), X15 and Y15 are +2 smoke +1 orchard so the net effect is +4 smoke, +1 orchard (and -1 hero).
Fred

Binchois

Too many words...
Reaction score
First name
Lester
Country
llUnited States
As I understand it W16 is +4 for smoke (+3 +1 for firing out of smoke), X15 and Y15 are +2 smoke +1 orchard so the net effect is +4 smoke, +1 orchard (and -1 hero).
Fred
If the U.S. FG is firing at the DMed stack, then the hero has +3 (firing out of +2 Smoke and no orchard), the other units get +3 (firing through +2 Smoke plus one orchard hindrance).

The +3 is the worst total DRM, so the FG uses +3 and the -1 heroic modifier (=+2 total).

[Edit: Oops! I didn't include wall TEM (good catch, Johnl) ! Total is +4]

Last edited:

johnl

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A7.52 "Should the LOS of any FG member be subject to a Hindrance/TEM, the worst possible case applies to all members of the FG (A.5). "
W16 - +3 [firing out of vehicle blaze]
X15 - +3 [+2 smoke + 1 orchard]
Y15 - +3 [+2 smoke + 1 orchard]
Worst possible case is +3 & looks like there might be a wall in W15 for additional +2 .
Hero -1 also applies to entire FG.

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
A7.52 "Should the LOS of any FG member be subject to a Hindrance/TEM, the worst possible case applies to all members of the FG (A.5). "
Worst possible case is +3 & looks like there might be a wall in W15 for additional +2 .
This, if W16 only include a vehicle blaze smoke; if otherwise (a +3 smoke in W16 ), the final DRM would be +5 with the addition of the wall hex-side along W14-W15.

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
My opponent claims he only suffer a +3 penalty since the hinderances are equel. I really do not think it is the case. See pic also.
Your opponent is correct - the highest (for any FG unit) Hindrance DRM is +3 - so that is the Hindrance DRM that applies.

Russ Isaia

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Does the additional +1 modifier for firing out of a SMOKE Location apply when only the wreck, not its Location, is on fire?

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Does the additional +1 modifier for firing out of a SMOKE Location apply when only the wreck, not its Location, is on fire?
Likewise the +1 DRM applies if neither a wreck or a Location is on fire, e.g. the unit is in a Location with SMOKE from SMOKE grenades, SMOKE ordnance ammunition, Smoke dischargers, or drifting SMOKE.

JR