Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All

Having a mental moment

Playing through Blood and Jungle one at a time with the legend "Ian"

We all know you can crest in a gully but can you crest in a stream to improve LOS and MF next turn?

Cheers and thanks for your help

Rob :D

Brian W

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes; see Chapter B section 20 STREAMS & CREST STATUS . . .

Edit: I mean, come on, put a little effort into it before asking the question.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
You can, unless the Stream is Flooded, I believe without double-checking.

von Marwitz

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
For clarity Rob is entering the hex from level 0 and going into crest status at the other side of the gully.

So it costs 3mf to enter the hex and a further 2 to take up crest status?

assuming this is correct I fire (I am adjacent) after the 2 MF have been spent before Rob can then spend the extra 2mf to go into crest status getting the -2 for moving in open?

Cheers
Ian

Richard Weiley

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
I'm NRBH, but I believe if you are adjacent and can see into the gully/stream, he gets no benefit from crest status.

custardpie

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I'm NRBH, but I believe if you are adjacent and can see into the gully/stream, he gets no benefit from crest status.
Thanks for the quick reply to both of you. Am I correct though that I would get to shoot on the 3MF and then on the further 2MF for a total of 5 possible shots? Not going to happen but want to confirm I have those down correctly

Ian

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Yes, the MF cost to enter the Stream and the MF cost to go up into Crest status are two separate expenditures - both of which can trigger defensive first fire as usual.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Also, just checking: units in Crest status in a Depression (Gully or non-Flooded Stream) are in the same Location as units IN the Depression, right? (for overstacking questions, say)

(The question that popped up in a game recently was whether a unit could possibly Assault Move INTO a Depression, then in Crest status in the new hex - provided it had enough MF, of course. I couldn't find a ref in the RB that prevented it, unless the Crest was a different Location - which I didn't find a reference for either)

Philippe R

Reaction score
Country
llFrance
Also, just checking: units in Crest status in a Depression (Gully or non-Flooded Stream) are in the same Location as units IN the Depression, right? (for overstacking questions, say)

(The question that popped up in a game recently was whether a unit could possibly Assault Move INTO a Depression, then in Crest status in the new hex - provided it had enough MF, of course. I couldn't find a ref in the RB that prevented it, unless the Crest was a different Location - which I didn't find a reference for either)
I'm wondering what would happen with Fire Lane, RFP, and LOS if the Location IN and On Crest would be the same ??

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Yes.
B20.98 STACKING: Despite the different elevation levels of units IN a Depression and those in Crest status, both count toward the total hex stacking limits of that hex.

But note that a leader IN cannot affect a unit in crest status, and vice-versa. A2.8: "...A leader on one level cannot affect the performance of units on another level (i.e., a Crest leader cannot affect units IN a Depression)...."

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I'm wondering what would happen with Fire Lane, RFP, and LOS if the Location IN and On Crest would be the same ??
Ordinary residual FP will attack units at both levels in the Location. LOS is not necessary, which is also true when, for example, when same-level residual placed in a building/woods, and a unit bypasses out of LOS from the original attackers.

Fire lanes only attack units at same level [A9.22]. LOS is necessary as well.

JR

macrobo

King of Boxcars
Reaction score
First name
Rob
Country
llAustralia
Hi All
Thanks for your help - lots of things I had never thought of!! - wont do that again :mad:

Rob :cool:

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yes.
B20.98 STACKING: Despite the different elevation levels of units IN a Depression and those in Crest status, both count toward the total hex stacking limits of that hex.

But note that a leader IN cannot affect a unit in crest status, and vice-versa. A2.8: "...A leader on one level cannot affect the performance of units on another level (i.e., a Crest leader cannot affect units IN a Depression)...."
Tangential question: Would you deem this to mean that a GO Ldr IN a depression with a Green unit in Crest status in the same hex, though considered a single stack for stacking limit purposes, would have no effect upon the Green unit's ability to be impacted by the restrictions of an inexperienced unit (A19.3-.36)? Given the above noted reference, I would think it could not.