Question for a Briton

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was watching footage of the Queen opening Parliament. You guys have a knack for traditions and I saw one I didn't get. Who was the guy who got the door slammed in his face and why?

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
speaking of royalty...

Doc, how's young Harry's latest antics going down with the masses? Or do people just not care anymore?

Ivan Rapkinov

Harpoon Forum Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
...and furthering onto that - how strong is the Republican movement in the UK?

We (as in Oz) should be a Republic by now, and would have been, but for the very crafty way Howard structured the referendum...

...but back on target, during our debates, I found out that there was a UK anti-monarchist movement, something I'd never considered possible to be honest. Just wondering if it has any momentum or os dead in the water.

Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Ivan Rapkinov said:

We (as in Oz) should be a Republic by now, and would have been, but for the very crafty way Howard structured the referendum...

...but back on target, during our debates, I found out that there was a UK anti-monarchist movement, something I'd never considered possible to be honest. Just wondering if it has any momentum or os dead in the water.
I'm not aware of a large anti-Monarchy movement here, but then I tend to stay away from Newspapers on account of the fact that they are all crap.

There's a big class-war at the moment between the Government ("New" Labour) and the upper-classes - the Government denies any victimisation of course, but all you have to do is look at how long Parliament spent debating the war on Iraq (7 hours) as opposed to banning Fox-hunting with dogs (700 hours). :D

Dr. S.

Bow

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
I hope young Harry does better than his uncle Edward who had to quit the Royal Marines because those nasty ropes burned his hands when climbing and they made him "yomp" through the mud and sleep in the wet, plus all those hairy, unwashed Marines didnt smell very nice...What ever happend to warrior kings???? gone the way of the Dodo I guess...

Bow on the island

per ardua ad astra

Bow

Reaction score
Country
llCanada
Ivan Rapkinov said:

Hell! Canada should be a Rebublic as well but unfortunatly we have a bunch who will not let go of the old Empire connection, in fact here in Victoria we have a certain crowd that speak with a British accent and yet have never left the province. :D

Bow on the island

per ardua ad astra