Question about use of older modules (Avalon Hill)

MonkTx

Recruit
Reaction score
Hello all, I purchased the Advanced Squad Leader rulebook, Beyond Valor and Yanks back in 1989 when I was in the army, intending to play it in my copious time off. That never happened so here I am now with all the Avalon Hill product and For King and Country from MMP as well as all the starter kits. I want to play ASL and I know the AH rulebook is hopelessly outdated and just purchased the pocket bundle.

My question is this- Are the Beyond Valor and Yanks Avalon Hill modules still useable or have they become outdated?

Thank you,

MonkTX

David Reinking

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The counters are still compatible. The newer counters have larger font and mostly are errata-free. Some of the scenarios have been updated, too.

Vic Provost

Forum Guru
Reaction score
First name
Vic
Country
llUnited States
But would you buy an older module just for the dice?
Not those dice, I love my Battle School Precision Dice, they look way better (you certainly pay a fair price for that) and I don't worry about bad dice. If we ever played ftf you can use mine, no problem. My original MMP dice are in a plastic container with all the other dice I don't use any more, at some point I'll donate the lot of them.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Hello all, I purchased the Advanced Squad Leader rulebook, Beyond Valor and Yanks back in 1989 when I was in the army, intending to play it in my copious time off. That never happened so here I am now with all the Avalon Hill product and For King and Country from MMP as well as all the starter kits. I want to play ASL and I know the AH rulebook is hopelessly outdated and just purchased the pocket bundle.

My question is this- Are the Beyond Valor and Yanks Avalon Hill modules still useable or have they become outdated?

Thank you,

MonkTX
If you want to get back into the game, you made a good start in buying the pocket bundle.

As for the old BV and Yanks module:
The counters in the new modules are better die-cut, the font is larger, a few counter errata have been eliminated. Instead of the old mounted geoboards, the new editions contain the thinner cardboard "Starter Kit Style" board, which have become the new standard. Some scenarios havebeen updated.
Besides that, the old BV and Yanks editions are fine and perfectly usable. Especially, since you are getting back into the game, I'd first go with the old ones (or use VASL if playing remote opponents via the net).
If you feel that you are really hooked again, then you can still buy the latest editions. Probably, you'll find out within a year, which means that BV and Yanks will still be available an not out of print.

von Marwitz

PresterJohn

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Not those dice, I love my Battle School Precision Dice, they look way better (you certainly pay a fair price for that) and I don't worry about bad dice. If we ever played ftf you can use mine, no problem. My original MMP dice are in a plastic container with all the other dice I don't use any more, at some point I'll donate the lot of them.
Original MMP? Get real and don't be such a cheap Charley. Gees. It's original Avalon Hill that really count for style -2.

Blaze

Final Fired
Reaction score
First name
Brian
Country
llUnited States

Thank you,

MonkTX
Mine became outdated, (worn out) So much so that the Germans were mostly white. I've burned through 2 BV sets over the years. I played a LOT of FTF games. I've just come off a LOOONG Hiatus of ASL, and felt a need to upgrade my Americans, Japanese, Italians, French, and Russians. My FKAC was from 2010 I think with the bigger fonts. It was more about me having eyesight like Mr. Magoo these days. Besides burning money for cardboard does support the hobby. I doubt I'll wear out another set of BV in my lifetime. But I'll get back to a decent amount of FTF play.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
........... It was more about me having eyesight like Mr. Magoo these days. .....
I hear that!
More lighting and some experimenting with the light temp. makes a world of difference, I picked up some reasonably priced LED lamps that you can adjust for brightness and temp. They work great, they also have a handy USB outlet at the back of the round base.

Alan Hume

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
I have to agree with you Vic, the Battleschool dice are tremendous, worth every penny :)

Steve E7

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You will be just fine with those AH products as you get back into ASL. What you will find is scenarios have changed quite a bit from then.
Find yourself a recent MMP Journal where you can play quite a few scenarios with those nationalities and that will keep you plenty busy.