Question about S? placement in woods (4.1 case b)

Hipsu

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
I find this rule a bit ambiguous:
(b) One S? in each woods/brush Location that has an odd or even coordinate.. ..and is either part of ≥ three connected woods/brush Locations (i.e., the woods/brush depiction extends across a hexside(s) "connecting" to the woods/brush depiction in the ADJACENT Location)...

Let's take this example. I rolled odd coordinates:

Which one of these is correct?

I could argue both ways. B9 and D9 have only 1 ADJACENT connection, so no three-way there.
But on the other hand there are 3 connected wood hexes in the picture and B9 and D9 are part of that whole.

tommyl

Reaction score
First name
Tommy
Country
llUnited States
I've always played it as:

My interpretation being the>/= 3 brush/woods locations identifining the whole woods/brush grouping and then the odd/even to decide which hexes in that grouping.
I can see how it would be interpreted either way, but this ways gives more opportunities for enemy forces which I (but not my troops) see as a good thing in SASL.....

LionelR

Reaction score
Country
llBelgium
I'm brand new at SASL. I just did my first setup a few days ago and also did as in the 3rd example.

hayman

Reaction score
Country
llAustralia
Definitely the second example: every 'clump' of 3 or more connected woods with an odd (or even, depending on original die roll) number has a suspect counter placed on it.

Hipsu

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
Curious. Because after reading the rule slowly and many times, I'm convinced the first example is actually correct...

TopT

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Definitely the second example: every 'clump' of 3 or more connected woods with an odd (or even, depending on original die roll) number has a suspect counter placed on it.
This is the correct way to play this. It is clearly written, odd/ even coordinates in =/ > three connected woods/brush Locations

daniel zucker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I find this rule a bit ambiguous:
(b) One S? in each woods/brush Location that has an odd or even coordinate.. ..and is either part of ≥ three connected woods/brush Locations (i.e., the woods/brush depiction extends across a hexside(s) "connecting" to the woods/brush depiction in the ADJACENT Location)...

Let's take this example. I rolled odd coordinates:

Which one of these is correct?

I could argue both ways. B9 and D9 have only 1 ADJACENT connection, so no three-way there.
But on the other hand there are 3 connected wood hexes in the picture and B9 and D9 are part of that whole.
The second example is the correct one. There are 3 'woods/brush locations' connected to each other. In this example there 3 locations in a line but they are connected to each other. In the case you provided only the Odd numbered hex(s) would be eligible for the setting up of a S?

I think that this should be amended to read...
"and is either part of ≥ three connected woods/brush Locations (i.e., the woods/brush depiction extends across one or more of the hexside(s) "connecting" to the woods/brush depiction in the ADJACENT Location)..."

this would clear it up a bit, but as it reads now all you need to do is look at the middle hex and see that it is 'connected across a hexside to an adjacent woods location' on two of its hexsides thereby making this a group of 3 connected woods locations

Hipsu

Reaction score
Country
llFinland
It is clearly written, odd/ even coordinates in =/ > three connected woods/brush Locations
It's not clearly written, otherwise both interpretations wouldn't fit the rule.

But fine, I yield to the consensus.