Question about Pillbox set up

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
I think a non-PTO pillbox and its contents are placed HIP during initial setup until in LOS of enemy units. Even if clearly in LOS and so being revealed inmediately after enemy unit setup at the start of turn 1. Am I right?

EagleIV

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You are correct except that they are revealed after enemy setup and just before the start of turn 1, not that the difference really matters.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
But as PBs are Concealment Terrain, their contents would remain HIP even if the PBs themselves are revealed, I think (B30.7).

von Marwitz

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Another question is .. May a unit place onboard under concealment units IN a pillbox without placing the pillbox? I mean similar to units under unknown entrenchments.., or placement HIP with the pillbox is mandatory.

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Another question is .. May a unit place onboard under concealment units IN a pillbox without placing the pillbox? I mean similar to units under unknown entrenchments.., or placement HIP with the pillbox is mandatory.
It is mandatory, see B30.7 last sentence:
"If a pillbox sets up hidden, so do its contents."

von Marwitz

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
however, HIP and / or concealment of a Pillbox contents will never affect incoming fire, there is no area fire penalty for shooting at such targets.

mgmasl

Reaction score
First name
Miguel
Country
llSpain
Sure.. But after setting troops for attack you may discover a bunker in front of your troops covering the planned attack route..

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
Sure.. But after setting troops for attack you may discover a bunker in front of your troops covering the planned attack route..
Yup. If other HIP units are part of the OoB, even an empty bunker thus revealed (and an evil surprise still hidden nearby) could give the attacker the creeps... :D

von Marwitz

witchbottles

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Yup. If other HIP units are part of the OoB, even an empty bunker thus revealed (and an evil surprise still hidden nearby) could give the attacker the creeps... :D

von Marwitz
nothing a >=75mm AP shell fired point blank from the NCA could not fix ( :D)

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
You can still end up with non-HIP units in a HIP pillbox. If the pillbox sets up empty and a unit enters it while out of LOS of enemy units, the entry would cost zero MF and the pillbox would not be placed on board.

JR