Question about old Tacops Mac software

Wyrd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Here's kind of a strange question. I have a pile of those old b/w 'compact' macs with 10 megs of ram or so. I know the original version of Tacops used to run on the things, and I have an opportunity to set up a large Appletalk network with them to use for gaming with some friends. I'd love to get ahold of an old copy of the original mac Tacops to play on these. I noticed that MajorH has allowed the original PC version to be released over on Home of the Underdogs for free. Does the same status apply to the old mac version?

Anyone know where I can get a copy of the original Mac version? Thanks!

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
>Anyone know where I can get a copy of the original Mac version? Thanks!

I would not object if someone privately emailed a copy to Wyrd of one of the following versions of TacOps for Macintosh - v0.x, v1.x, or v2.x. I am pretty sure that those versions worked on the early/original Macs with grayscale monitors. I don't recall if v3 will work on the oldest Macs or not.

I would prefer that those old versions not be posted to any "abandon ware" site as I consider them to be so old and limited as to be "negative advertising".

However those older versions my not serve your purpose, if I recall correctly the multiplayer teams mode of play did not appear in TacOps until v4. It is likely that TacOps networking prior to v4 was limited to only two computers.

Last edited:

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wyrd ... if you don't get a response here you might try joining the semi-private TacOps mailing list. There are gents there who date back to the very first Mac and Windows versions of TacOps.

To subscribe to the TacOps mailing list go to the URL below and follow the screen instructions. Please do not repost or spread this list joining info around indiscriminately. It has long been held that the relative obscurity of the semi-private TacOps mailing list is a good thing. :)

http://nxport.com/mailman/listinfo/tacops

Once subscribed you can also read the recent list message archives via a button somewhere around the link above.

The TacOps mailing list is a no flame zone. No politics, no insults, and members are expected to stay reasonably on topic - which means mainly posts related to the TacOps game and or related to tactical level warfare in general. It is OK to discuss the "how" of contemporary warfare on the list but is not generally OK to discuss the "why".

MajorH

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wyrd ... once you get tired of messing around with those old original Macs you might consider gutting them, turning them into fish aquariums and selling them as such on Ebay. There has been a lively market for that over the years. Conversion plans can be found on the Internet.

http://www.theapplecollection.com/Collection/MacAquarium/

The original Macs have a bit of Apple history inside them. The signatures of the people who were involved in their development were molded into the interior of the cases. :)

http://www.digibarn.com/collections/weirdstuff/mac-case-signatures/index.html

Last edited:

Wyrd

Recruit
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Wyrd ... once you get tired of messing around with those old original Macs you might consider gutting them, turning them into fish aquariums and selling them as such on Ebay. There has been a lively market for that over the years. Conversion plans can be found on the Internet.
You know, I've seen those before. I may do that if one of them conks out. I'm rather attached to the Mac SE30 though. Do to a hardware bug, you can expand the thing to 128 megs of ram. I use it for recipies and such in the kitchen due to the small foot print.

Thanks for permission to use the older programs, Major. If I can track one down, I'll see if it can work. The added benefit is that I would be able to play tacops at work occasionally, as I can't install it on a work PC, but an old Mac at work is another story :)

Thanks for the invitation to the mailing list. That sounds like fun. I'm not the type to start flame wars or argue politics anyway. I appreciate the invite, and I will not share the link. I must say, it's pretty nice to post about a ten year old program and get a response from the actual developer. That's some pretty good support! Much oblijed, Major!

dhuffjr

Forum Conscript
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
You will find few developers as accessible as the Major.