Question About Kampfgruppe Scherer: The Shield of Cholm

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
It really comes across as that everybody should play Red Barricades and everything else is shit.

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then impress me and post AAR's of your awesome playings of KGS. You people talk the talk, now do the walk.

It really comes across as that everybody should play Red Barricades and everything else is shit.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Even if I played a CG of KGS, I don't think I'd write an AAR. That's just not something I envision myself doing. I enjoy reading AARs though, including yours. I doubt I'm going to impress anybody with my AARs, so that's not really my goal in life.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Then impress me and post AAR's of your awesome playings of KGS. You people talk the talk, now do the walk.
I've played LOTS of Cholm. I've never posted an AAR. While I appreciate those who write them and follow them avidly I'm just not motivated enough to write my own AARs.

I think the module is excellent and worth the money. YMMV.

RRschultze

Reaction score
First name
Ian
Country
llUnited Kingdom
"complex" this module truly is. I think there were maybe two scenarios in KGS that were devoid of wall to wall SSR's. My buddy and I love the east front but after we looked at the amount of rules in this one we decided to play Red Barricades. It is a very well produced module and will look nice on your shelf, but good luck finding someone who will want to dive in the over the top complexity of this module.

Designers should always ask themselves, why does RB still get played on a consistent basis? Than look at their work and say, will my piece of crap module get played as much?

Scott
If you want complexity look no further than FB. It's far more complicated than KGS

Gunner Scott

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
From what I have experienced, people no matter how bad they are at writing AAR's, will write an AAR on something that is awesome and lots of fun. When people do not bother to write an AAR on a game, than it probably was ok, but not enough to really warrant a full blown AAR praising said game.

I mean really, if you had an awesome game of KGS and it was memorable as well as super exciting, then let us know, when you see no AAR's on a product or very few, than maybe that product was just not impressive enough to write home about.

Scott

I've played LOTS of Cholm. I've never posted an AAR. While I appreciate those who write them and follow them avidly I'm just not motivated enough to write my own AARs.

I think the module is excellent and worth the money. YMMV.

Justiciar

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Some people, for one reason or another, just do not like to write.
Agree.

I will also wager that those who do write and post AARs are the same folks each time, by and large. Most of us here, however, do not write AARs. AARs is not a measure of anything, except the self expression of those individuals.

Ganjulama

Tuco B.P.J. Maria Ramirez
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I mean really, if you had an awesome game of KGS and it was memorable as well as super exciting, then let us know, when you see no AAR's on a product or very few, than maybe that product was just not impressive enough to write home about.

Scott
Heck Scott, when I actually have time to PLAY ASL, I'm super happy and excited :D

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
There are many player who are not native English speakers and are just not confident enough of their English ability to post an AAR. Personally for me, it sounds too much like some of the reports I had to do when I was working.

Bob Walters

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But if you really enjoyed your game, would'nt you want others to know how you had a great and exciting game?
I can see talking about it on the forum or perhaps in the Facebook group but writing an AAR sounds a heck of a lot like work. I guess some people are just not authors, that is why not everyone writes books.

clubby

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Sure, I might mention it on here as I have done several times, but no I'm not going to sit down and write an AAR.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
[QUOTE="Bob Walters, post: 187891] Personally for me, it sounds too much like some of the reports I had to do when I was working.[/QUOTE]

This!

Carln0130

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Now that is an executive summary! :cool:
Yeah, so Bob, I have played the largest scenario in this one and the Winter board CG. Also played three or so of the smaller ones.

It is excellent and as an added bonus for you, there is an outstanding historical magazine in the module on the battle, from the author of a book on the same topic. That will give you some insights on the battle as well. There are a fair amount of SSR's, sure. If you like that, ok, if you don't, ok too. It didn't slow me down is all I can say. Glad I played it.

Why haven't I gone back for a second playing of the CG? 6K plus scenarios and metric sh*t ton of CG's out there. The only thing I ever play more than once, is a playtest or a tournament scenario from a playlist. that's pretty much it. Too much to discover out there. Yet again, different strokes for different folks.

Having given it thought, I lie. Back when RB was the only game in town and we only had a hundred or so scenarios, I played it and all the scenarios to death. Got variety now.