Question about Deep Stream

sambruzs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hello all,

My question: Leader and squad spend 4mf to enter a deep stream hex. They become CX and stop. In the advance phase can the squad and leader advance out of the deep stream hex to an orchard hex?
Thanks in advance
Really appreciate the help I get here.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
Leader and squad spend 4mf to enter a deep stream hex. They become CX and stop. In the advance phase can the squad and leader advance out of the deep stream hex to an orchard hex?
The cost to Advance up a level to an orchard is usually two MF. A CX unit may not use Advance vs. Difficult terrain, but two MF should not be Advance vs Difficult Terrain in most circumstances.

Note that the squad & the leader could have made the complete move--into the stream and up the bank--in the MPh instead in many circumstances. They would still be CX, of course.

JR

sambruzs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cheers JRV
In hindsight... I should have continue movement... but did not. Do not know why.. newbie I guess. So the leader and squad could advance to the orchard hex. I actually wanted to advance into a woods hex.... adjacent to the stream... but figured woods 2mf x 2 would not allow, as would cost 4mf. But my opponent states I cannot advance to the orchard hex, adjacent to the steam.
Thanks again for the immediate response.
much ap;p;reciated

A_T_Great

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Why would they be CX? A4.72 only applies to the advance phase. For CX to apply here, the infantry must be portaging something capable of slowing it down below the required 4MF. (A4.134)

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Why would they be CX? A4.72 only applies to the advance phase. For CX to apply here, the infantry must be portaging something capable of slowing it down below the required 4MF. (A4.134)
Rule B20.43 states they will become CX when they enter a Deep Stream.

Ed

sambruzs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Everyone...
Another question regarding deep stream, this time involves vehicle. See attached photo. Full tracked vehicle is in a deep stream, will exit the stream into hex DD7 open ground (higher elevation). What is the MP expended? I am thinking 5. COT=1 open ground + exit stream (gully) 4MP.
Here is what I copied from the rulebook:

20.45 EXIT: There is no cost for leaving a stream hex other than the normal doubling of MF (or a four MP increase) when moving to a hex of higher elevation [EXC: Abrupt Elevation Change; 10.5].

Apparently stream / gully treated the same... bog check needed when exiting (snow).

Thanks in advance.

out_stream.jpg

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Hi Everyone...
Another question regarding deep stream, this time involves vehicle. See attached photo. Full tracked vehicle is in a deep stream, will exit the stream into hex DD7 open ground (higher elevation). What is the MP expended? I am thinking 5. COT=1 open ground + exit stream (gully) 4MP.
Here is what I copied from the rulebook:

20.45 EXIT: There is no cost for leaving a stream hex other than the normal doubling of MF (or a four MP increase) when moving to a hex of higher elevation [EXC: Abrupt Elevation Change; 10.5].

Apparently stream / gully treated the same... bog check needed when exiting (snow).

Thanks in advance.

View attachment 5599
Per E3.724 add 1MP additional for crossing a hexside with ground snow present and the Bog Check is for exiting a stream anyway (B20.46), not for the snow though the +1 DRM for snow covered ground would apply to the Bog Check (D8.21 BOG CHECK DRM Table).

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Per E3.724 add 1MP additional for crossing a hexside with ground snow present and the Bog Check is for exiting a stream anyway (B20.46), not for the snow though the +1 DRM for snow covered ground would apply to the Bog Check (D8.21 BOG CHECK DRM Table).
The vehicle must be non-tracked for the extra MF/MP to apply. The +1 DRM is for Deep Snow re the Bog Check.
Ed

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The vehicle must be non-tracked for the extra MF/MP to apply. The +1 DRM is for Deep Snow re the Bog Check.
Ed
Got me on the 1st one, but not sure about the +1 Bog Check DRM being only for Deep Snow. Check out the modifiers in D8.21, it makes no distinction for Deep Snow, but D8.23 does go on to say about an additional "secret Bog Check DR" for Deep Snow (and Mud). I do not believe this is a limiter for the "snow covered" DRM as mentioned in D8.21, but just enhances the rule to cover such. E3.7332 just goes on to say that deep snow does increase the chances for vehicular bog, but does not intimate that there are no bog repercussions for Ground Snow.

sambruzs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cheers
Thanks so the total cost to exit the deep stream for the vehicle is then
COT x2 = 2MP + Stream exit 4MP for a total of 6MP expended. If my ASL "math" is incorrect... let me know.
Thanks fellows

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Cheers
Thanks so the total cost to exit the deep stream for the vehicle is then
COT x2 = 2MP + Stream exit 4MP for a total of 6MP expended. If my ASL "math" is incorrect... let me know.
Thanks fellows
No it is not doubled for vehicles as the doubling is only related to MF not to MP, simply the 4MP increase plus the COT (in this instance 1MP)= total cost of 5MP.

Ed Caswell

Reaction score
First name
Ed
Country
llUnited States
Got me on the 1st one, but not sure about the +1 Bog Check DRM being only for Deep Snow. Check out the modifiers in D8.21, it makes no distinction for Deep Snow, but D8.23 does go on to say about an additional "secret Bog Check DR" for Deep Snow (and Mud). I do not believe this is a limiter for the "snow covered" DRM as mentioned in D8.21, but just enhances the rule to cover such. E3.7332 just goes on to say that deep snow does increase the chances for vehicular bog, but does not intimate that there are no bog repercussions for Ground Snow.
Directly above the entry for Ground covered with Deep Snow in the D8.21 Bog Check DRM Chart is an entry for snow-covered ground. I completely missed that. Also. I do not disagree with your other observations.

Ed

sambruzs

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Thanks for the assistance fellows
Much appreciated