Quality Of The Latest ASL Designs

jimfer

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Improved but might have to change my mind. Lets face it, Board 3 use is way down....

Jimfer:)

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Improved but might have to change my mind. Lets face it, Board 3 use is way down....

Jimfer:)
And too bad as well. I think it's one of the best designed boards in the inventory. An SSR here or there and it's one of the more versatile boards ever designed. Add an overlay or two and it can change the complexion more than many others, not to mention as is I think it's one of the more aesthetically pleasing boards to look at.

buser333

Reaction score
And too bad as well. I think it's one of the best designed boards in the inventory. An SSR here or there and it's one of the more versatile boards ever designed. Add an overlay or two and it can change the complexion more than many others, not to mention as is I think it's one of the more aesthetically pleasing boards to look at.
This came up yesterday in a game I was playing which used Board 3. Why are there not more boards with shellholes? Personally I would think this would've been a fairly common terrain feature in many battle situations.

Honza

The Art Of Wargames
Reaction score
First name
Jan
Country
llCzechia
For me personally a large scenario is much more enjoyable than a small one. It has something to do with the immersion factor I think. I do enjoy the odd small scenario, but the biggies just have that much more to offer. If I was a designer I would probably enjoy designing the big scenarios too. Maybe designers just don't enjoy designing the big scenarios anymore. You got to consider what the designers WANT, and what they ENJOY designing. A big scenario would be worth the extra effort for me as a designer.

Spencer Armstrong

Canard de Guerre
Reaction score
First name
Spencer
Country
llUnited States
For me personally a large scenario is much more enjoyable than a small one. It has something to do with the immersion factor I think. I do enjoy the odd small scenario, but the biggies just have that much more to offer. If I was a designer I would probably enjoy designing the big scenarios too. Maybe designers just don't enjoy designing the big scenarios anymore. You got to consider what the designers WANT, and what they ENJOY designing. A big scenario would be worth the extra effort for me as a designer.
One reason you see less of them is that they're difficult to PT for the same reasons people favor smaller scenarios in general: Time. It takes way more player-hours to PT a big scenario than a small one. I'm personally fairly catholic in my tastes, but lean to medium-large sized scenarios. I don't like so-small-they're-sure-to-be-dicey and I don't have the bandwidth (nor monitor real estate) for monsters.

lionelc62

Reaction score
First name
Lionel
Country
llFrance
I have started recently do design large or very large scenarios (one will be in FTC8). It's more time consuming but, testing them is a lot of fun ! The main problem is that I makethe first tests of the scenario solo to verify that no big issue exist, and with a large scenario it's much more difficult.

Lionel

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
This came up yesterday in a game I was playing which used Board 3. Why are there not more boards with shellholes? Personally I would think this would've been a fairly common terrain feature in many battle situations.
I believe Shellholes are better represented by overlays or counters. It makes the boards more versatile. At the same time, I would think that this is the reason why there aren't many boards with 'inherent' Shellholes.

von Marwitz

von Marwitz

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUkraine
If I was a designer I would probably enjoy designing the big scenarios too. Maybe designers just don't enjoy designing the big scenarios anymore. You got to consider what the designers WANT, and what they ENJOY designing. A big scenario would be worth the extra effort for me as a designer.
But they are probably the hell to playtest thoroughly.

von Marwitz

Eagle4ty

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
But they are probably the hell to playtest thoroughly.

von Marwitz
A lot has to do with the nature of the game, a tactical situation. Several of the larger (read that older) scenarios actually delved slightly into the operational nature of an engagement: Reconnaissance; Movement to contact; Actions on contact; Support by fire; Assault/Defense; Consolidation. Since these elements may lead to a plethora of options to either side that may radically alter the engagement, it is difficult to design a competitive scenario to at least ameliorate all the possibilities. The smaller scenarios focus primarily upon the action itself, in other words "more bang(ing) for you buck". Additionally, the research is probably a bit easier as many accounts limit their focus to the gripping action at the point of decision and mention ancillary operations only in passing or as an adjunct to the big show.

Philippe D.

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llFrance
I believe Shellholes are better represented by overlays or counters. It makes the boards more versatile. At the same time, I would think that this is the reason why there aren't many boards with 'inherent' Shellholes.

von Marwitz
Overlays are something that many players (myself included) tend to avoid in FtF play. They're not that much trouble for VASL play, though.

Despite additional problems with screen size, VASL actually makes playing large scenarios much easier - unless one has a lot of physical spate to leave an unfinished game, or a lot of time to play them in one or two sittings, VASL is a much better option. Has there been an increase in the average size of played scenarios since VASL became so prevalent? (can one query ROAR to see playings in a limited time period?)

klasmalmstrom

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llSweden
Overlays are something that many players (myself included) tend to avoid in FtF play.
I used to that when I started playing, but not anymore. Once one finds an easy/effective way to handle overlays (I use non-stick, transparent tape myself) it isn't really a hassle anymore, ymmv.

Michael Dorosh

der Spieß des Forums
Reaction score
First name
Michael
Country
llCanada
My fav way to do overlays in face to face play is to take them, and the board, to the local Staples store, colour copy them and enlarge by about 10% or so. You can fit half a geo board onto a tabloid size sheet. Might cost 5 or 10 bucks depending on the scenario, but you can then draw right on the map (objectives, fortifications, exit areas, setup, whatever), tape the overlays down with transparent tape, write notes on the margins, etc.

At the end of the game you could probably recycle them, but satisfying to just chuck 'em. No need for plexiglass, and you can always use the 'real' boards set to the side for tricky LOS problems.

kcole4001

Stray Cat
Reaction score
First name
Kevin
Country
llCanada
I laminated my overlays, so I just use some low-tack clear tape to stick 'em down.
Just stick and peel the tape on your shirt a few times to reduce the tack factor, makes it easier on the map, and the overlay is safe under it's layer of vinyl.

Yuri0352

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I laminated my overlays, so I just use some low-tack clear tape to stick 'em down.
Just stick and peel the tape on your shirt a few times to reduce the tack factor, makes it easier on the map, and the overlay is safe under it's layer of vinyl.
Regarding the 'low tack' tape for overlays, I use (and highly recommend) the Scotch tape in the blue plaid dispenser, described as "matte finish removable tape".
I've never had any problems with residue, easy to remove and nearly invisible under plexiglass.

jrv

Forum Guru
Reaction score
Country
llIceland
I used to that when I started playing, but not anymore. Once one finds an easy/effective way to handle overlays (I use non-stick, transparent tape myself) it isn't really a hassle anymore, ymmv.
For full overlay effectiveness I recommend making color copies, writing the name on the back and laminating the copies. I myself have never ripped off the paper on an overlay using soft tape, but I have seen it done. I have not done this yet with all my overlays, but I plan to. For the life of me I can't see why some players are all freaky about overlays. They take no more than a minute or two to put down.

JR

RobZagnut

Elder Member
Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I was happy to see that the new ASLOK Action Pack features a few meaty scenarios.
Saw that when I looked thru the pack last night. Thought, "Wow, when was the last time I saw a 4 mapper in an AP?"