QB AAR rockpapershotgun

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Nice positive AAR. So far ee=everyone seems to be concentrating on the QB abilities of this game. When do we see the bridges!

Tanker

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I'm a bit curious about why the air power was denied and the mortar was slow to get in contact.

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I see recon by death is still firmly in place.

If I had been denied my CAS I would have found out why. This guy was pretty calm about not getting it and not knowing why he didn't get it.

Good Hunting.

MR

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Is there any examples of the tanks being toggled to 4x sizes or trees toggled off?
I don't think so. They seem to be striving to show that the game works at the moment. Nothing too much about features.

The game 'works' is a big deal to most of us.

Good Hunting.

MR

dalem

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
I don't think so. They seem to be striving to show that the game works at the moment. Nothing too much about features.

The game 'works' is a big deal to most of us.

Good Hunting.

MR
...and that it works more like CMx1. So far no new features are showcased.

-dale

Mad Russian

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
Not going to happen Dale. BFC is moving away from CMx1 not towards it.

Good Hunting.

MR

Scott Tortorice

Reaction score
Country
llUnited States
The game really is looking sharp. I'm a bit annoyed by the lack of dynamic death explosions for vehicles (to be added later TM ), but the rest is looking AAA polished.

That was a really good AAR on the part of RPS.

vulture

Reaction score
Country
ll
Is there any examples of the tanks being toggled to 4x sizes or trees toggled off?
Trees can be toggled off - kind of. You can toggle off the foliage and just leave the tree trunks, which has much the same effect. (The reason you can't get rid of the trees entirely is that you;d then have no way to tell where forested areas where, unlike CMx1 where you still had the ground colour to show where light and heavy woods were).

Geordie

CM Moderator
Reaction score
Country
llUnited Kingdom
Oh dont get me wrong. Im a liking it so far....

Id just like to see how the Bridges look and act, how the scenarios look and feel, how the Panthers look and feel, how the gun teams move and react.

Im also a tiny bit concerned that the Tanks seem to be hitting as often as they do in CMSF, not good, but the ranges in the QBs have been very short.

I also want more on the infantry, how squads split down, who gets the Bazooka or PF etc.....

In sum, weve seen some very good QB stuff, but, thats not what I play CM for, I want to see the other stuff promised in Bones various over the years....

Rule_303

Reaction score
I thought Phillip Culliton gave a pretty good summary for the uninitiated on the difference between FPS and CM:

Men of War is an RTS. Units have hit points. You can control them individually and steal (to much amusement) individual soldiers’ hats. Snipers have super powers. Units keep attacking even when normal men would have broken several times over.

Combat Mission is a simulation. In Combat Mission penetration, ballistics, everything (down to the location of equipment inside the vehicles) is modeled.

Units don’t have hit points – if you hit a Sherman in a location where the slope is just right the shot will bounce. It may even hit another unit. You can put a round right through a halftrack – as long as it doesn’t hit something vital you’re okay apart from the spalling. On the other hand if you hit the vehicle’s radio – they lose radio contact with higher command.

You can control entire battalions of troops and vehicles if you want. I just played a battle where I was assaulting a German defensive line with two battalions of infantry, an armored battalion, and artillery support. Morale can drive an enemy off the objective before you get there.

I think they’re on opposite ends of the wargame spectrum. Certainly both have their place. I’ve enjoyed both – but if you’re comparing the simulation aspects it’s Combat Mission, hands down.

mOBIUS

Reaction score
ICombat Mission is a simulation. In Combat Mission penetration, ballistics, everything (down to the location of equipment inside the vehicles) is modeled..[/I][/INDENT]
Anything where you are in direct control of more than one unit is a game.